HI all - I got a Z10 1 week after canadian launch and was and am still happy with it aside for the fact that the ear piece speaker completely blew out withing 5 weeks. Rogers would only send me a refurbished Z10 at a cost of 35 dollars or the other option was to have the original phone repaired for free but it would take up to 15 business days before i could get it back - I obviously opted for the 35 dollar option . Now some weeks into my new phone again the earpeice speaker has blown out.
    Now one would assume theirs obviously a problem with 1st gen z10 ear speakers and to order another refurbed phone for 35 dollars again seems kinda pricey and stupid.
    Any one else have this problem?
    Im thinkin to try cell phone shop and pay 50 bucks and only wait 30 m nts.
    I am very dissapointed with rogers warranty service as they clearly know most will opt for the 35 new phone in the mail option when its a 20 mnt job to replace an ear speaker on a phone.
    04-17-13 07:18 PM
    This is clearly a cash grab by rogers.
    04-17-13 07:20 PM
    my z10 just started the ear speaker crackling as well. what a **** off for a 2 month old phone. I too will probably end up getting a refurb, i dont want to use a loaner phone. I dont understand why rogers is charging 35 bucks. They used to just send you another phone free of charge when youre within the warranty. Since when did that change?
    04-18-13 08:01 PM
    YES! This has happened to me twice and im on my third z10 and it has happened again. Luckily with telus i can get a new phone without a fee or any issues but im probably im just going to replace the speaker myself when it becomes unbearable. The z10 is very easy to take apart and the earpiece speaker is easy to access also. Pretty ****ty nonetheless...
    04-18-13 08:31 PM
    I too just found that I have this issue yesterday. I am a Telus Client and will be visiting my local store later today. I will update thread should anything outside of was noted above happen. Tnx.
    04-25-13 07:54 AM
    How do you know when the speaker blows?!! Think it jus happened to mine.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-13 08:07 AM
    How do you know when the speaker blows?!! Think it jus happened to mine.

Posted via CB10
    You will notice a crackling sound coming from ear speaker - some time really badly depends on how damaged the speaker is. Rogers will tell you to wipe the phone incase it softwares related. Don't waste your time when the speaker is gone its gone. It's a mechanical failure.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-13 07:06 PM
    My speaker is still audible and I use blue tooth a lot so I'm ordering a new speaker from ccparts.ca for $5.95 and will install my self . The Z10 is a really easy phone to fix or swap parts in. After watching a five minute video on you tube I've discovered its only a couple of screws to remove back plate and swap out speaker.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-13 07:13 PM
    my z10 just started the ear speaker crackling as well. what a **** off for a 2 month old phone. I too will probably end up getting a refurb, i dont want to use a loaner phone. I dont understand why rogers is charging 35 bucks. They used to just send you another phone free of charge when youre within the warranty. Since when did that change?
    I too was shocked when informed of the 35 dollar charge. They just said that thats the way it is now for like the last year anyway.
    04-25-13 07:17 PM
    It's only for blackberry phones. If you have a iPhone problem then they tell you to call apple or go to an apple store. If you have a Samsung they tell you to call Samsung. I had to call Samsung they just sent me a replacement a3. I think they charge because they have to employ a facility that fixes phones. When my 9900 died they didn't charge me to send it out for repairs to mississauga.

Posted via CB10
    04-25-13 07:32 PM
    It's only for blackberry phones. If you have a iPhone problem then they tell you to call apple or go to an apple store. If you have a Samsung they tell you to call Samsung. I had to call Samsung they just sent me a replacement a3. I think they charge because they have to employ a facility that fixes phones. When my 9900 died they didn't charge me to send it out for repairs to mississauga.

Posted via CB10
    Actually the instructions page they sent me with the new phone for returning the old phone has a detailed/dedicated paragraph just for Iphones (which I paid no attention to) - That would indicate to me that people are sending iphones back as well .
    And yes your right they wont charge for repairs but they take a while - In this instance its literally a 15 to 20 mnt job to swap out a speaker and need the phone for up to 15 business days? This is rogers , youd think they could set up a walk in centre atleast in densly populated areas - instead, they offer the convenience of a new phone but with an additional charge. money grab if you ask me.
    Last edited by TheCLEANSER; 04-25-13 at 07:47 PM. Reason: added more
    04-25-13 07:43 PM
    Where can I order a new OEM speaker at?

Posted via CB10
    04-26-13 08:39 AM
    Where can I order a new OEM speaker at?

Posted via CB10
    I usually buy parts for phones at ccparts.ca - because the z10 is soo new they have no listed parts yet , but ive been in contact with them and they said there is an order of speakers coming soon for z 10 - you could try some other sites if your in a rush
    04-26-13 04:29 PM
    I just received my speaker parts from etradesupply. They claim to be OEM. My only concern is whether or not they're the same quality as the speaker that's currently inside the phone. I know the BlackBerry phones are made in Canada and these came from China so who knows...but they do look exactly the same.

2nd Z10 and EAR SPEAKER FAILURE-img_00000220.jpg

Posted via CB10
    04-29-13 02:04 PM
    I checked out etradesupply.com as ccparts.ca is still waiting on the shipment of speakers. I had quite the chuckle when they wanted almost $22 bucks for shipping an ear peice speaker that costs $1.87 and can be sent as letter mail - I realize I live in a different country (Canada) but seriously I can send letter mail to the U.S for like $1.20.
    Did you try a speaker yet , how does it sound?
    04-29-13 05:37 PM
    I checked out etradesupply.com as ccparts.ca is still waiting on the shipment of speakers. I had quite the chuckle when they wanted almost $22 bucks for shipping an ear peice speaker that costs $1.87 and can be sent as letter mail - I realize I live in a different country (Canada) but seriously I can send letter mail to the U.S for like $1.20.
    Did you try a speaker yet , how does it sound?
    Ya it was a bit of a rip off for shipping but the options were scarce. It did come in a cute little box though lol. I really don't wanna be without my z10 for 15 days while it gets sent out for repairs. So i figured I would just pay it.

I haven't tried it out yet...might put it in this weekend.

Posted via CB10
    04-30-13 01:42 AM
    Just installed my new ear speaker from etrade supply - seems to be working good - at under two bucks a piece I ordered five of them (just in case) lol.
    P.S make sure you have a T3 (torx) screw driver to take apart the phone. You'll also be needing a T2 if you want to swap out the LCD screen.
    All in all really easy repair!

Posted via CB10
    05-23-13 08:41 PM
    My phone just went to telus for a speaker repair as well, telus gave me a z10 as well, all on all I'm happy with my phone but something tells me the speaker is gonna be trouble, for a 2 month old phone this shouldn't be a issue!

Posted via CB10
    05-23-13 09:13 PM
    Speaker just went out in mine a couple of days ago. This evening i called Verizon to ask them about it and went ahead and reported the reboot issue so it would be on logs to help BlackBerry find problem and the tech service center just said they would send me a new phone should be here by next weds. Didn't even care about the speaker issue. Hopefully the speaker holds up if not i may try the etrade route as well.
    05-23-13 09:20 PM
    I've never paid for a repair from Rogers yet, I see so many people posting about this. I'd tell Rogers to go stuff themselves if they told me to pay for a repair. That's what the warranty is for.
    05-23-13 09:29 PM
    My phone just went to telus for a speaker repair as well, telus gave me a z10 as well, all on all I'm happy with my phone but something tells me the speaker is gonna be trouble, for a 2 month old phone this shouldn't be a issue!

Posted via CB10
    Ya unfortunately rogers just didn't want to give me a z10 for a loaner - they basically set it up so that most people would take the 35 dollar option. I'm unimpressed by rogers and their antics especially being their customer for 15 years now.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-13 09:32 PM
    I've never paid for a repair from Rogers yet, I see so many people posting about this. I'd tell Rogers to go stuff themselves if they told me to pay for a repair. That's what the warranty is for.
    The repair is free - its time it takes for the repair and your second option to have a refurbished phone sent to you right away at a cost of 35 bucks that is the problem.
    Read my first post up at the top

Posted via CB10
    05-23-13 09:36 PM
    they recetly changed their policy with regards to advanced exchange. it used to be free now they charge you 35 which im told is supposed to cover shipping both ways.

i have gotten them to waive said fee many times but that my be because i deal with corporate accounts.
    05-23-13 09:37 PM
    Once you sign a new 3 year with them i noticed their attitude changes big time as they know they got you by the balls. When your nearing the end of your contract their the nicest people ever and willing to go out of their way to accomodate you.

Posted via CB10
    05-23-13 09:44 PM
    This is the strangest thing, because my top speaker started crackling intermittently today, only when receiving messages.
    I was actually starting to think it might have had to do with the fact that I had upgraded my OS when it was officially released, since I had noticed sometimes since then that some odd things were happening with my device, which worked flawlessly before.

Posted via CB10 from my Z10
    05-26-13 03:25 PM
61 123