Dude, LTE is 4G in other words, when you talk about differences between LTE and 4G is the same as to talk about differences between Car and Automobile
    Wrong.
    12-11-13 10:07 AM
    I am with Vodafone Italy which has 2G (aka GPRS), 2,5G (aka EDGE) 3G (aka UMTS), 3,5G (aka HDSPA) and 4G (aka LTE).

I have to say that I keep my Z10 in 2G because YES, it saves a lot of battery, and switch to 3G when I need to browse or watch videos or I need a large amount of Data. Why it saves battery? For two reasons: the coverage is more extended and more stable than 3G (so your phone doesn't keep searching for network) and the fastest the data you transmit, the more energy you need, it's simple. It's like fuel for cars; the more power, the more fuel.

Ciao
    MIddux
    12-11-13 10:20 AM
    Really? That would prevent all the dumb phone users.

Posted via CB10
    Most feature phones are at the minimum 3G nowadays.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 11:26 AM
    What you're saying doesn't make any sense. GPRS is still data, albeit very slow data. BB symbol should show, and all features should work properly, albeit slowly.

That said, do these new phones even have GPRS anymore? I've never seen anything slower than EDGE on a BB10.

Separate question: How can you set your phone to 2G only? I see the option to turn off LTE, but nothing besides that.
    Depends on your carrier. Not all phones have the option to change it because of carriers not having it enabled

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 11:29 AM
    Dude, LTE is 4G in other words, when you talk about differences between LTE and 4G is the same as to talk about differences between Car and Automobile
    Not on T-Mobile in the U.S. They were the first to market their 3.5G HSPA+ as "4G". Then AT&T said, "hey, we have that already, so we'll call it 4G too". Then, confusion ensued. On many phones, the OS displayed such networks as "H+". But soon it was simply labeled "4G".

Then, when a more real 4G came along, they had to differentiate what they had already been calling "4G" with something else. Thus the marketing term "4G LTE". Then there is a separate network designation, just "LTE".

So, no. In the U.S., thanks to marketing, there is a difference between "4G" and "LTE". Even though in the original spec, true 4G won't get here until we get LTE Advanced.

Posted via CB10
    curvezzz likes this.
    12-11-13 11:57 AM
    That's kind of uncalled for, especially toward a new member. Point being if you have to limit some of the features just to get through the day then something is clearly wrong and it might be time to look at making a change pointing our battery life differences between z10, and z30 is completely relevant.
    You're right, I apologise. I get a little short during working hours and should have a little patience, especially with new members.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 12:22 PM
    Most feature phones are at the minimum 3G nowadays.

Posted via CB10
    Not the ones that cost a tenner.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 12:23 PM
    Not the ones that cost a tenner.

Posted via CB10
    That's why I said most and not all
    12-11-13 12:40 PM
    You are right in what you are saying, however you said it in response to a post stating that LTE is faster than 4g. 4g is not the same as 4G. 3g is not the same as 3G etc.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 01:22 PM
    Not in the US. 4g and LTE are very different here.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 03:26 PM

That said, do these new phones even have GPRS anymore? I've never seen anything slower than EDGE on a BB10.
    USA Commnet is a provider of towers for roaming in very rural areas. I've had service from them degrade to GPRS. I never had a 3g tower on their service.

In the rural areas where I have used USA Commnet, AT&T is coming on strong with 4g. I've driven to some of the sites and looked at others on Google Earth. They are on propane 100% of the time.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 03:38 PM
    Wrong.
    Nope

Lte is 4G as well as wimax

Posted via Ultracool Z10 on 10.2.1.1055 leak. Iphone... save files on your iphone browser, lol
    12-12-13 03:03 PM
    Nope

Lte is 4G as well as wimax

Posted via Ultracool Z10 on 10.2.1.1055 leak. Iphone... save files on your iphone browser, lol
    But hspa+ is also "4G" in the US for both T-mobile and AT&T. That's what the originating comment was about.

As I stated several posts above, the marketing of 3.5G hspa+ as "4G" is what led to the separation of 4G and LTE once LTE finally rolled out on T-Mo and AT&T. They had to specifically call it "4G LTE", and our phone's service designation is simply either "4G" for hspa+ or "LTE" for 4G LTE.

Doesn't matter that the rest of the world is more in line with the originally established standards, the poster that brought it up (not the OP) is on T-Mobile in the US and only sees their designations.

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 03:14 PM
    Not on T-Mobile in the U.S. They were the first to market their 3.5G HSPA+ as "4G". Then AT&T said, "hey, we have that already, so we'll call it 4G too". Then, confusion ensued. On many phones, the OS displayed such networks as "H+". But soon it was simply labeled "4G".

Then, when a more real 4G came along, they had to differentiate what they had already been calling "4G" with something else. Thus the marketing term "4G LTE". Then there is a separate network designation, just "LTE".

So, no. In the U.S., thanks to marketing, there is a difference between "4G" and "LTE". Even though in the original spec, true 4G won't get here until we get LTE Advanced.

Posted via CB10
    But this just means that operators lie. Because LTE is 4G.
    It is name of type of 4G.

4G is two types: LTE and Wimax

12-12-13 03:19 PM
    Not in the US. 4g and LTE are very different here.

Posted via CB10
    So your operators are stupid. And they lie to their customers.

12-12-13 03:21 PM
    But hspa+ is also "4G" in the US for both T-mobile and AT&T. That's what the originating comment was about.

As I stated several posts above, the marketing of 3.5G hspa+ as "4G" is what led to the separation of 4G and LTE once LTE finally rolled out on T-Mo and AT&T. They had to specifically call it "4G LTE", and our phone's service designation is simply either "4G" for hspa+ or "LTE" for 4G LTE.

Doesn't matter that the rest of the world is more in line with the originally established standards, the poster that brought it up (not the OP) is on T-Mobile in the US and only sees their designations.

Posted via CB10
    Hspa+ is 3G. The fact that operator lies to their customers does not change the fact that hspa+ and 4G are the same as toyota celica and ferarri 458. They both cars, both coupes, but....

12-12-13 03:23 PM
    So your operators are stupid. And they lie to their customers.

So are mine. H+ gets marketed as 4G and the coverage isn't too good either. Will probably take another 4-5 years before they even begin to consider LTE

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 03:25 PM
    Actually, I wonder, if someone could sue operators for misleading advertising?

There is a clear standard for 4G technology, and everything else what is not 4G should not be sold as 4G.

It's like milk shouldn't be marketed and sold as whiskey

12-12-13 03:28 PM

There is a clear standard for 4G technology, and everything else what is not 4G should not be sold as 4G.

As I said upper, in Italy Vodafone sells H+ as 3G (3,5G) and now launching 4G as LTE. So no misleading advertising, at least here

MIddux
    12-12-13 04:58 PM
    As I said upper, in Italy Vodafone sells H+ as 3G (3,5G) and now launching 4G as LTE. So no misleading advertising, at least here

MIddux
    LTE isn't exactly 4G people it's more like 3.9G. LTE-Advanced is true 4G

Posted via CB10
    12-12-13 05:58 PM

The problem is that the ITU buckled under the pressure of the likes of T-Mobile and AT&T and backtracked on the definition of 4G back in 2010 and decided to include HSPA+ (really just a more advanced version of 3G), even thought the original definition of maxing out at 100 Mbit/s is achieved only with WiMAX and LTE-Advanced.

So, yeah, I agree with you. The companies are lying. But when most of the targeted consumers don't know squat about it - only that it's a higher number, so it must be better, it's tough to call them out on it.

Yet, many tech journals did call them out on it at the time. But then the ITU (whom many though would drop the hammer down on the carriers over it) decided to acquiesce and say: "well, okay, you can call the 'more evolved' 3G technologies '4G'".

Money talks.

Now what can you sue over when even the governing body that sets these standards plays fast and loose with the term?

Posted via CB10
    12-13-13 09:53 AM
46 12