I've heard that setting your Z10 to 2g will save battery. My question is will that hinder the phones ability to send and receive texts and BBM?. I realize that Web surfing will suffer and other graphic demands will. Will the texting be really slow??

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 04:51 PM
    No, texting is a separate function altogether.
    12-10-13 04:57 PM
    While doing this won't actually save any substantial battery, unlike turning off LTE, which uses an additional radio (2G and 3G use the same radio), the answer to your question is that texts and BBM would continue to function normally. They are both small enough to be more-or-less unaffected by the slower data speeds. The speed of the notifications themselves will not change measurably.
    12-10-13 04:58 PM
    Texting is done by SMS, which will work same speed on 2g and 3g. Difference in battery life exist because in 2g (we're talking about GSM here) where is an idle mode which will pause transmission of data.

Sent from my RM-885_eu_russia_200 using Tapatalk
    12-10-13 05:00 PM
    If you'll have edge (E) indicator and data symbol (bb sign), you'll have data connection and all data services. If you'll have just G symbol, which is basic 2G aka GPRS, you will not have data connection, therefore, no BBM, mails... but texting (SMS) and cakls eill be just fine.

I have another issue - my oprrator, Vodafone, shows me that I have 2G connection (E) symbol, but my data connection dissappear once in a while... and they try ti prove me that 2G (Edge) is not enough for browsing or any other data services... just pathetic explanation. And customer service think they are right....

Posted via Ultracool Z10 on 10.2.1.1055 leak. Iphone... save files on your iphone browser, lol
    12-10-13 06:55 PM
    While doing this won't actually save any substantial battery, unlike turning off LTE, which uses an additional radio (2G and 3G use the same radio), the answer to your question is that texts and BBM would continue to function normally. They are both small enough to be more-or-less unaffected by the slower data speeds. The speed of the notifications themselves will not change measurably.
    There is a huge difference between 3G and 2G.

From Zuri my Z10.
    12-10-13 07:52 PM
    If you'll have edge (E) indicator and data symbol (bb sign), you'll have data connection and all data services. If you'll have just G symbol, which is basic 2G aka GPRS, you will not have data connection, therefore, no BBM, mails... but texting (SMS) and cakls eill be just fine.

I have another issue - my oprrator, Vodafone, shows me that I have 2G connection (E) symbol, but my data connection dissappear once in a while... and they try ti prove me that 2G (Edge) is not enough for browsing or any other data services... just pathetic explanation. And customer service think they are right....

Posted via Ultracool Z10 on 10.2.1.1055 leak. Iphone... save files on your iphone browser, lol
    Don't know what they mean. But I use EDGE On my Z10 to do all my browsing. And I get at least 9 hours. From non stop Internet use on it. And it doesn't flaw my browsing experience in any way

From Zuri my Z10.
    12-10-13 07:54 PM
    When I switch over to 2g my phone says it's sos. The sos shows up in the top right corner so is that true 2g or something else.. I use my BlackBerry for my business and don't want to switch to something that may make me loose emails or texts...

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 08:14 PM
    2G question-img_00000992.png

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 08:17 PM
    When I switch over to 2g my phone says it's sos. The sos shows up in the top right corner so is that true 2g or something else.. I use my BlackBerry for my business and don't want to switch to something that may make me loose emails or texts...

Posted via CB10
    2G just shows the 'E' (EDGE) as has been mentioned above, just like the old curves
    Strange that it's showing SOS for ya

2G question-img_00001172.png

Attachment 228889

Posted via CB10
    12-10-13 08:27 PM
    2G just shows the 'E' (EDGE) as has been mentioned above, just like the old curves
    Strange that it's showing SOS for ya

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00001172.png 
Views:	823 
Size:	235.9 KB 
ID:	228888

Attachment 228889

Posted via CB10
    Yup. Very strange. Complain to your service provider

From Zuri my Z10.
    12-11-13 12:57 AM
    people getting creative to save the z10's battery i see. for sure my z30 has the best battery of possibly any phone ive owned
    12-11-13 01:00 AM
    people getting creative to save the z10's battery i see. for sure my z30 has the best battery of possibly any phone ive owned
    We know, that's why this is in the Z10 forum.

Posted via CB10
    curvezzz likes this.
    12-11-13 01:39 AM

Posted via CB10
    When it displays SOS, your phone can only make emergency calls. If it does that on 2g, don't use 2g.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 01:40 AM
    When it displays SOS, your phone can only make emergency calls. If it does that on 2g, don't use 2g.

Posted via CB10
    I think the situation is his provider doesn't have 2g, so when the phone is forced into 2g, it goes to another provider.

You are correct in that it shouldn't be used. I'm just trying to explain why.

Some providers are dropping 2g.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 02:04 AM
    Don't know what they mean. But I use EDGE On my Z10 to do all my browsing. And I get at least 9 hours. From non stop Internet use on it. And it doesn't flaw my browsing experience in any way

From Zuri my Z10.
    I wonder if you have LTE. The difference between EDGE and LTE is orders of magnitude. OK, two orders, like 100.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 02:06 AM
    There is a huge difference between 3G and 2G.

From Zuri my Z10.
    The basic GSM uses time division multiplexing, where you get a particular time slot. At some point in the speed progression, GSM goes to WCDMA, a spread spectrum approach. The time division scheme definitely gives the transmitter some rest time. I think, but would have to look it up to be sure, that EDGE is the last of the time division schemes. When you go to 3g, it is WCDMA.

The time division scheme had a fixed distance that the cell can be from the tower. It is 35km. Very annoying since you often have a decent signal past 35km, but you just can't use the tower due to timing constraints.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 02:14 AM

Some providers are dropping 2g.

Posted via CB10
    Really? That would prevent all the dumb phone users.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 07:51 AM
    Yes my LTE works fine. I had the setting to 4-3-2G setting and that is plenty fast for me. I was just looking at ways to say battery life. Ohhh and I'm with Rogers in Manitoba.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 09:22 AM

Posted via CB10
    I may be in error here. When the reports first came out, it sounded like TMobile was dropping 2g. But I went back and read later reporting and it seems they are reducing the bandwidth allocated for 2g.

http://gigaom.com/2012/02/23/t-mobil...in-2gs-coffin/

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 09:26 AM
    Yes my LTE works fine. I had the setting to 4-3-2G setting and that is plenty fast for me. I was just looking at ways to say battery life. Ohhh and I'm with Rogers in Manitoba.

Posted via CB10
    On TMobile, LTE versus anything, even 4g, is night and day. TMobile 4g is awful. It is not so much that the data rate is lower, but rather the latency is bad. LTE is very snappy. I can't stand going back to 4g or 3g. If the phone insists on 2g, I just limit the use to email.

Posted via CB10
    12-11-13 09:30 AM

Posted via CB10
    it's not that they are dropping, it's the fact, that some operators never had 2G, like for example "3�" in UK, which operates in 3G/4G only...
    12-11-13 09:42 AM
    On TMobile, LTE versus anything, even 4g, is night and day. TMobile 4g is awful. It is not so much that the data rate is lower, but rather the latency is bad. LTE is very snappy. I can't stand going back to 4g or 3g. If the phone insists on 2g, I just limit the use to email.

Posted via CB10
    Dude, LTE is 4G in other words, when you talk about differences between LTE and 4G is the same as to talk about differences between Car and Automobile
    12-11-13 09:45 AM
    We know, that's why this is in the Z10 forum.

Posted via CB10
    That's kind of uncalled for, especially toward a new member. Point being if you have to limit some of the features just to get through the day then something is clearly wrong and it might be time to look at making a change pointing our battery life differences between z10, and z30 is completely relevant.
    12-11-13 10:01 AM
    If you'll have edge (E) indicator and data symbol (bb sign), you'll have data connection and all data services. If you'll have just G symbol, which is basic 2G aka GPRS, you will not have data connection, therefore, no BBM, mails...
    What you're saying doesn't make any sense. GPRS is still data, albeit very slow data. BB symbol should show, and all features should work properly, albeit slowly.

That said, do these new phones even have GPRS anymore? I've never seen anything slower than EDGE on a BB10.

Separate question: How can you set your phone to 2G only? I see the option to turn off LTE, but nothing besides that.
    12-11-13 10:06 AM
46 12