04-24-13 01:59 AM
83 1234
tools
    Total agree with you on this, the micro usb ports tend to fail after a while.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 11:08 AM
    Who would be willing to trade some device thickness for battery volume?
    currentodysseys likes this.
    04-17-13 11:09 AM
    Well using it in portrait mode with the charger to the top makes it easy to type, I really don't see the issue here. Portrait mode works from both sides

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 11:12 AM
    I don't see why everyone's jumping on the OP. He put the word 'failures' in quotes to emphasize that their seriousness is open to interpretation.
    Because a good deal of people don't read it that way...they just see the word failures.

At any rate, I sometimes get dust between the bezel and the screen, and it does bother me The Z10 is a little awkward to text with while charging, but I don't think moving the cable to the bottom would help. Haven't really thought about it.
    Once again, a perceived flaw. There may be any number of nooks and crannies that may collect dust on any phone...not a BB phone failure.
    The texting while charging issue just comes down to a simple holding orientation. People really need to adapt a little better...its not life-changing.

Posted via CB with my BB10 Z10
    04-17-13 11:13 AM
    Agree with the gap comment. Get rid of the seams!
    04-17-13 11:16 AM
    How do you see the screen? All glass all around?

No problem texting even if usb is on the side

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 11:17 AM
    I do all writing in landscape.. the charger is perfect for use. I don't think they'll please everyone no matter where they put it. How about wireless charging.

As for dust, im a drywall guy.... you don't know dust until you've seen my work and I don't find dust collecting in the bezel. Plus isn't that what what God said to Abraham " dust is collecting in your bezel so let's remove It". ( hehe)

Such silly requests.. you would also think that after 100 years Car designers could make cars seats not have the gap between the center console that everything falls into. Buuuuut we still pay the $$$$
    John Pawling, earlym and brout like this.
    04-17-13 11:19 AM
    I think calling those failures is a little bit of a stretch.

Posted via CB10
    I agree, I always use landscape view, like a laptop anyway. A bottom USB would be a nuisance to both modes.
    John Pawling likes this.
    04-17-13 11:28 AM
    USB port location is always going to be an issue. The current Z10 location doesn't work well with my car phone holder (the one that clips onto the air vents. The sides of the holder come in right where the usb port is. That being said, it is good there for most other uses.

Lefties I'm sure have a major problem with the current location for texting while charging. It just sucks for them that most people are righties and most products are designed for righties...
    04-17-13 11:32 AM
    OP....perfectly ok to have your own opinion.

However if gaps that collect dust is a fail, every keyboard on the planet, especially the one I use in my office is a fail. You should see the airborne dust in between each key. Not sure you can avoid that other than a quick brush or using compressed air to blow the dust out. In either case that's hardly anything more than regular maintenance, not a design flaw.
    04-17-13 11:33 AM
    the microUSB & HDMI are in the side because z10 is predicted to be used for multimedia in landscape mode, it's easier for you.
    that's what I thought..
    04-17-13 11:37 AM
    I play a very smart man in my life's circles, but I can't imagine being smarter than the collective minds at BB. they designed this thing, not in a vacuum, but with the future (as well as the past) in mind. To call it a failure IS a stretch. It's like being a Monday morning quarterback or a back-seat-driver. BB knows why they put it there and bet billions on it's design. Purchase 90 degree USB adapter.

As to the dust issue, buy a skin, flip it over. Buy a case. Vacuum the home and turn off the ceiling fans. Just sayin!
    OneArseneWenger likes this.
    04-17-13 11:48 AM
    I don't have a problem with either of these issues. I use a blackberry flip case to protect my Z10 and am not getting any dust in my seams. Don't see the design "failures".
    Last edited by 1raygin; 04-17-13 at 07:59 PM.
    04-17-13 11:53 AM
    1- Easily solved by being responsible, and charging each night before you go to sleep.
    2-Seriously, how does this bother you?

I'm sure I'll hear something about using the phone too much to not require a second charge in a day. So I'll offer this, buy the second battery with the dual-charge feature, problem solved, charge each night, wash, repeat.
    04-17-13 12:31 PM
    [
    Such silly requests.. you would also think that after 100 years Car designers could make cars seats not have the gap between the center console that everything falls into. Buuuuut we still pay the $$$$
    Don't mean to be off-topic but, it's funny timing that you mention this. I was watching an episode of Shark Tank recently, and this was one of the inventions:

Drop Stop - The Original Patented Car Seat Gap Filler : Amazon.com : Automotive

No more pesky gap

On topic: The charging port is not bothersome to me really, but I do agree with those micro USB ports wearing over time. I constantly have a microfiber cloth with me, so dust is never an issue with my Z10. I wipe that thing down like a fighter between rounds multiple times daily.
    04-17-13 12:45 PM
    Hedobum, I agree with ya.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 12:55 PM
    [

Don't mean to be off-topic but, it's funny timing that you mention this. I was watching an episode of Shark Tank recently, and this was one of the inventions:

Drop Stop - The Original Patented Car Seat Gap Filler : Amazon.com : Automotive

No more pesky gap

On topic: The charging port is not bothersome to me really, but I do agree with those micro USB ports wearing over time. I constantly have a microfiber cloth with me, so dust is never an issue with my Z10. I wipe that thing down like a fighter between rounds multiple times daily.
    Awesome!

@OP I find a can of compressed air to be very handy over a variety of situations including your dust issue. Although honestly mine doesn't seem to collect much.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-13 01:14 PM
    I agree with the OP that the USB port should be moved somewhere else. It's in the way when using the keyboard. Having said that calling those failures is a failure to give this thread an appropriate name. This thread could have been a lot more enjoyable and will attract more discussion if the OP or the site admin changes the title.
    maxell likes this.
    04-17-13 01:20 PM
    So apples dust magnet headphone jack, charging port, and ear speaker grill are not design flaws?
    Did anyone say they weren't?
    04-17-13 01:23 PM
    For improvements on future design, BlackBerry should learn from these 2 'failures' from current Z10 design.
    1. Micro USB/charging port location. It's an awkward experience to do texting while charging. Please move it to the bottom!
    2. Please remove tiny gap between screen & bezel. It's a dust magnet!
    1. Alternative is to use voice input. Another is to disable rotation lock and turn it landscape and text while charging. No need to be fixated on a rigid position for holding your Z10.

2. Where are you putting your Z10? Pants have a lot of lint or spring cleaning (windows open or HEPA filter) needed in your place? I have no dust issues on my Z10 carrying in pants/jeans or at home.
    04-17-13 02:04 PM
    So apples dust magnet headphone jack, charging port, and ear speaker grill are not design flaws?
    Right? I totally agree with Sparky, and still if they are 'failures' the device is only 2 months old. We gotta have more patience with BlackBerry! They are working with a brand new device and OS, that will obviously have bugs.... that's why man invented 'OS Updates'!

Posted via Crackberry Z10
    04-17-13 02:16 PM
    I agree with OP on the US port location, however nothing drastic needs to be done - it merely needs to be moved up, about 1.5cm above the hdmi port.

Of course, pcb layout is not always that simple, and sometimes what might seem to the layman to be a simple change might really end up taking weeks or redesign -- and that is the best case. In the worst case, with the existing component selection and the defined form factor, it may not be possible at all.
    04-17-13 02:22 PM
    For improvements on future design, BlackBerry should learn from these 2 'failures' from current Z10 design.
    1. Micro USB/charging port location. It's an awkward experience to do texting while charging. Please move it to the bottom!
    I have always thought the USB was in an odd location as well. One of my Android friends pointed that out right away.
    04-17-13 02:51 PM
    how about using a magnetic charger like the playbook usb at the bottom and magnetic charger on the side.
    toobs623 likes this.
    04-17-13 03:15 PM
    While I think that the USB does get on the way a bit, for two hands typing when charging, I have two points to make:
    To move it to the bottom would mean to change all the architecture of the phone, so I am not sure what would have to be compromised (i.e is not a simple thing to do) and I believe that it is less annoying as is than other possible consequences of it being changed. For those "while charging" typing moments I use the phone on landscape if I get annoyed from the cable, or use one hand typing and it actually works quite well.

The "dust magnet" issue... well, mine has been spotless for the past 2 months so I really do not see that being the case. Regular maintenance cleaning is part of every device I own, especially phones, so maybe this is why it does not bother me so much personally.

Personal perception is highly respected, but from there to call these "failures" (even in quotation marks) is a long stretch. I believe that the design team have had some very solid reasons for the design, and I for one find it functional.

Just my view on it, aka: to each, his/her own...
    04-17-13 04:20 PM
83 1234