Hello crackberry.

I will be flying for 14 hours and I plan to get 30 mb for 20 dollars I know pretty expensive but gotta get it.

I want to do the following.

Email. Chat. Browse. Send few pictures via email and use bbm and whatsapp

Last time I got 30 mb on my 9900 and I did everything and used 13 mb only. So please if you can share some do's and dont's which will help me stay within 30 mb cap. I have to do few projects so would need Internet access will tether to my BlackBerry PlayBook

Posted via CB10
    03-13-13 05:16 PM
    Edit, looks like i will be getting 30 MB data, so i need to stay within that. Can any moderator change thread title to

14 hours flight & 30 MB data on z10
    03-13-13 05:21 PM
    BB10 doens't have nearly as much data compression, so it's quite possible to burn through that 30mb pretty fast.
    03-13-13 05:39 PM
    Hmm tough call, not sure if I can help as I don't really know what apps you are running and how you have the intervals set etc.. but I would say disable automatic updates in any apps (eg. weather apps, FB, Twitter etc) and go from there.
    03-13-13 05:39 PM
    disable the auto update? Ths the first time i am hearing? How do i do that? That would be pretty good. I am not running anything in bg, I use twitter, facebook mobile version and just emails, I will be using mostly whatsapp and bbm thru out. Do you think if i just use it for texting? Will it be enough, I did everything with my older BB, i actually used it for 11 / 14 hours, and just managed to use 12 mb of data. I am guessing this would be double?
    03-13-13 05:44 PM
    well i would stop posting on here from the phone for sure lol

Since you no longer have compression you might blow thru the 30 MBs in an hour or 2. To do what you want you will need well over 30 mbs i think, a few hundred would be a better guess
    03-13-13 05:47 PM
    Hey Sorry, I forgot you cant disable the auto updated with BB10 (at least I don't think you can..) but you can simply sign out of the accounts (Twitter, FB etc..).. Sorry for the confusion.. perhaps someone else can chime in IF you in fact can disable them ..

disable the auto update? Ths the first time i am hearing? How do i do that? That would be pretty good. I am not running anything in bg, I use twitter, facebook mobile version and just emails, I will be using mostly whatsapp and bbm thru out. Do you think if i just use it for texting? Will it be enough, I did everything with my older BB, i actually used it for 11 / 14 hours, and just managed to use 12 mb of data. I am guessing this would be double?
    03-13-13 05:50 PM
    lol i guess when i do fly i shall try to stay away from crackberry hehe. Just want to use data for msging and stuff i really hope it is enuf ! I will def. share my experience here with everyone on how it goes. I will be flying in 4 days

well i would stop posting on here from the phone for sure lol

Since you no longer have compression you might blow thru the 30 MBs in an hour or 2. To do what you want you will need well over 30 mbs i think, a few hundred would be a better guess
    03-13-13 05:50 PM
    What flight limits your data? Every flight have been on you buy wifi data for a time period. 2hrs, 4hrs, etc. Not how much data you use
    03-13-13 07:17 PM
    That 30mb will disappear as fast as you can type!
    03-13-13 07:36 PM
    I wouldn't send any pictures you take with your z10, they are high resolution and there's no setting to turn this down.

While the old BlackBerrys compressed data, just remember that pictures music and video are already compressed and it would have made no difference.

More data consumption will be more likely to the big screen, apps that are more data intensive and how easy it is to load a lot of Web pages and high resolution content.

Posted via CB10
    03-13-13 09:34 PM
    What I've done in the past..
    - deleted apps that utilize location or pushed updates I don't absolutely need (knowing I can reinstall when I get back)
    - disabled auto downloads of images on emails
    - deleted email accounts that I don't need for that period of time
    - tried to create an email filter in Gmail to prevent junk mail from getting to my device..(don't know if it worked though).

So not being very tech savy myself, I can't say for sure how much I saved but something to consider.,.
    03-13-13 09:47 PM
    Ouch 30mbs cost a lot when ur up in the air flying over then ocean... instead load a couple movies on your phone and enjoy the flight. I do regular 10-15 hour flights.. even did a 26 hour flight to Australia. The z10 is a data hog compared to bb7 and before, but in the same sentence is on par with all the other phones now. 30mbs will get you a couple hrs I assume.

I remember this one flight I was on and a kid about 12 yrs old in the same row was freaking out cause the internet was sketchy.... kept saying "This Sucks, I can't believe how crappy this airline Is". To have Internet at 40'000 feet should be respected and used for emergency only. But if you have the cash to spend and have A.D.D then

Posted via CB10
    03-13-13 09:48 PM
    Thank you all for your comments suggestions.

Ill go with 30mb data lets see how far can it get me. I will def post my experience here so other members xan benefit.

I don't have any bg apps running that consume data.

Is there any way we can disable data connection activities for few apps? May be from the permission settings?

I plan to load my PlayBook with movies as well .

Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 06:34 AM
    Hello crackberry.

I will be flying for 14 hours and I plan to get 30 mb for 20 dollars I know pretty expensive but gotta get it.

I want to do the following.

Email. Chat. Browse. Send few pictures via email and use bbm and whatsapp

Last time I got 30 mb on my 9900 and I did everything and used 13 mb only. So please if you can share some do's and dont's which will help me stay within 30 mb cap. I have to do few projects so would need Internet access will tether to my BlackBerry PlayBook

Posted via CB10
    That won't last long. I would disable automatic image downloads in emails, and possibly avoid browsing.
    03-14-13 06:43 AM
    As others have said, it won't last long. I would limit the data while roaming, and use wifi when possible. I was burning through 20mb of data per day on my last trip to the US without trying to hard. If you only plan on doing emails you might be ok

Posted via CB10 from my awesome Z10
    03-14-13 06:47 AM
    You'll use 30MB as soon as you turn the phone on...LOL These things have NO data compression anymore...more like data expansion if you axe me...
    03-14-13 07:27 AM
    Thank you all for your comments suggestions.

Ill go with 30mb data lets see how far can it get me. I will def post my experience here so other members xan benefit.

I don't have any bg apps running that consume data.

Is there any way we can disable data connection activities for few apps? May be from the permission settings?

I plan to load my PlayBook with movies as well .

Posted via CB10
    Why do people feel they need to be connected 24/7?? Why not enjoy the 14hr flight without any data, and be disconnected from everything? I did that in January when my gf and I went to Panama. Disconnected Friday the 11th and reconnected when I got home on my birthday on Friday the 18th. Feels good to not be connected all the time. Save the money, or load some movies and READ a BOOK!!
    03-14-13 09:00 AM
    A decent amount of the data would most likely be roaming data, which usually comes with mental overage charges. I wouldn't even risk it unless it's absolutely critical.

Posted via CB10
    03-14-13 09:12 AM
    Like QWKSNKE said earlier, while you are on an airplane you are using zero of your data plan because you are using the airline's provided wifi (like gogo) which you pay a fee for. I'm not sure how many airlines even provide this for international flights (it wasn't available on the Qantas A380 - their flagship jumbo jet - I flew early last year). If you turn your phone on while in the air you won't get any cell service, thus no data use. It's when you land that you have to worry about which even my old Torch 9850 sucked through 250MB of data in no time.
    03-03-14 05:34 PM