hey everyone,

We recently purchased a Z10 from a third party on Kijiji. Everything was working fine for a while until we started noticing that the Browser crashed consistently. We did a little digging and realized that our phone only had 1GB of memory as opposed to the standard 2GB in every other Z10. When we took a closer look, we noticed a faint writing on the phone that read "Not For Sale". We also noticed that the back of the phone had a smooth surface unlike our other white Z10. We tried to track down the original owner to see where they got it from and they referred us to another person who then referred us to another person to no avail. Our conclusion is that this is likely a Development Phone that was taken from Blackberry HQ and sold on the internet? Any thoughts? We tried to contact Blackberry to return the phone to them but with no luck.

Thanks!

Nikole
    01-09-14 10:12 AM
    yep maybe its dev alpha A or B if I remember correctly

Posted via CB10
    01-09-14 10:14 AM
    hey everyone,

We recently purchased a Z10 from a third party on Kijiji. Everything was working fine for a while until we started noticing that the Browser crashed consistently. We did a little digging and realized that our phone only had 1GB of memory as opposed to the standard 2GB in every other Z10. When we took a closer look, we noticed a faint writing on the phone that read "Not For Sale". We also noticed that the back of the phone had a smooth surface unlike our other white Z10. We tried to track down the original owner to see where they got it from and they referred us to another person who then referred us to another person to no avail. Our conclusion is that this is likely a Development Phone that was taken from Blackberry HQ and sold on the internet? Any thoughts? We tried to contact Blackberry to return the phone to them but with no luck.

Thanks!

Nikole
    You are correct, though it is likely a phone from an employee that was terminated (if not they likely will be). Contact BlackBerry on Twitter or FaceBook and you might get a better response. Ask if they can switch it for you since you are interested in the device.
    01-09-14 10:15 AM
    Sounds like a Dev Alpha unit to me; a mule for devs to develop apps on before the release of the actual Z10. I believe those were running 1GB memory.
    01-09-14 10:15 AM
    Sounds like a Dev Alpha unit to me; a mule for devs to develop apps on before the release of the actual Z10. I believe those were running 1GB memory.
    This sounds right to me. The Dev Alpha A looked very much like a shrunken PlayBook and had the same material on the back. The Dev Alpha A did not have a removable battery either, and uses a SIM tray. I don't know if you will get a replacement out of BlackBerry, but who ever sold it to you should refund your money and take the device back because it is not a Z10.
    01-09-14 10:23 AM
    This sounds right to me. The Dev Alpha A looked very much like a shrunken PlayBook and had the same material on the back. The Dev Alpha A did not have a removable battery either, and uses a SIM tray. I don't know if you will get a replacement out of BlackBerry, but who ever sold it to you should refund your money and take the device back because it is not a Z10.
    I would wager the seller knew that it was a alpha device and was planning on it not being noticed until after the sale. Sounds like a good way to make a few bucks if you have no morality or ethics. But it's worth a try to get a refund, possible it was an honest mistake.
    scrapmetal58 and Litsa Nikole like this.
    01-09-14 10:31 AM