BlackBerry World, for at least the last year or two, has been a pathetically slow-loading pig.

It's an embarrassment to the brand, in my opinion. It makes the company look bad to have such a poorly optimized website that is central to their product and brand.

They really need to hire some experts who know how to optimize website performance and get it so it doesn't take 10 or 20 seconds just to get the first content to appear.

Go to Google Play or the Apple App Store and see the difference.

Embarrassing.

I hope this is on John Chen's shortlist.

(EDIT: Just to clarify, I am not talking about loading the website on a BB10 device - which basically just loads the BBW app which is a customized web-view with pre-cached content. I'm talking about either using a desktop web browser or a mobile browser other than the BB10 browser.)
    Last edited by Omnitech; 02-26-14 at 12:34 AM. Reason: Added paragraph at bottom
    02-25-14 11:20 PM
    That's odd. Loads like lightning on my Z10
    02-25-14 11:24 PM
    If he's referring to the website he's spot-on.

It is pathetically slow

Download Noted, my 5-star rated, native BB10 notepad app.
    02-25-14 11:26 PM
    Yeah I just did and BlackBerry World opened up quicker than the App Store did on my iPhone 5, and that was after a head start. The App Store actually had a time out error haha.

Anyways since the most recent update to BlackBerry World, it has been much faster on my Z30.

Hopefully they keep making it even faster.

Posted via CB10
    02-25-14 11:28 PM
    I just opened BBW on my Z30 and it took all of 2 seconds to get the 1st page of apps loaded
    02-26-14 12:27 AM
    I'm not talking about the device - if you try to go to the website on the device you basically get the BBW app, because BBW on-device is more or less a customized and optimized web view using pre-cached content.

I'm talking about loading it in a regular desktop web browser.
    02-26-14 12:29 AM
    The app took approx 3 seconds to load on my Z30. The website just a little over double that.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 12:31 AM
    OP updated to clarify I'm not referring to doing this with the native BB10 browser.
    CDM76 likes this.
    02-26-14 12:37 AM
    The app took approx 3 seconds to load on my Z30. The website just a little over double that.

Posted via CB10

And what type of device are you using to load the website and what speed connection? Was it already in your browser cache?

On an entry level broadband connection (anywhere from T-1 to 6Mbps home broadband), I find it stupidly slow, which is particularly apparent when comparing it to the competition.

02-26-14 12:39 AM
    I'm confused, who gives a rats *** how quickly the website opens< isn't it the App store that needs to be opened ? #confused #pickyourbattles
    buwee and CDM76 like this.
    02-26-14 12:50 AM
    I just tried it on my Windows computer and it took about 5 seconds to load the 1st page which imo not too bad at all.
    And that it was not loaded in the cache either because I NEVER browse the apps through my computer as the post before me said isn't that what the App store on the device is for?
    02-26-14 01:03 AM
    And what type of device are you using to load the website and what speed connection? Was it already in your browser cache?

On an entry level broadband connection (anywhere from T-1 to 6Mbps home broadband), I find it stupidly slow, which is particularly apparent when comparing it to the competition.

Originally was on my Z30. But since your edit I tried on my 3 year old HP laptop using Chrome browser. I counted 6 Mississippi's (not most scientific but it works) and just started 7th when the first page was done loading. 3 Mississippi's before I saw anything even start to display though.

I've never visited the site before (except on device) as I use the BlackBerry World app.

Don't know what speeds I'm getting, but is wifi at home.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 01:12 AM
    I just tried it on my Windows computer and it took about 5 seconds to load the 1st page which imo not too bad at all.
    And that it was not loaded in the cache either because I NEVER browse the apps through my computer as the post before me said isn't that what the App store on the device is for?

How long does it take for the 1st page of Google Play to load?
    02-26-14 01:21 AM
    How long does it take for the 1st page of Google Play to load?
    Just took 8 seconds on Z30

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 11:20 PM