I think many of the apps are a a complete waste of time.half don't work without further purchases.even the paid apps are a rip off, descriptions are misleading.catch up with Google play and stop thinking of ways to rip off customers.major disappointment is how I feel.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 08:37 AM
    Have you looked in the Google Play store lately? There's a ton of crap in all of the app stores. Just saying...
    12-18-13 08:38 AM
    Yes I appreciate that some are not so good but there is no comparison.yes I have looked lately as I still need to use Google play apps on my old phone as blackberry world has little to offer.if u are content with the apps then great.

Posted via CB10
    12-18-13 08:44 AM
    Yes, it was a small shock for me too coming from BB7 devices that didn't require that many 3rd party applications.

IMHO, BlackBerry goes a step further compared to other platforms by
    1. Installing most commonly used apps such as Twitter, Facebook, Perfect Keyboard (on touch devices), BBM, etc. And at the same time
    2. No bloatware as some Samsung devices

So, speaking for myself, I didn't have to download that many extra apps.
    12-18-13 08:48 AM
    Totally agree with u maggie, why get charged for something that isn't what it say it is or something that don't work

Sent from my Z10
    12-18-13 01:31 PM
    I can't stand the apps that pretend to be designed with special functionality, but are really nothing more than a shortcut to a popular website. There are lots of examples of this, so I won't get into naming any one particular culprit. These 'apps' are usually free, but even so, two things bother me about this practice:

1) There is almost always a mechanism to generate a purchase. I don't mind paying developers for their time, but the jokers who put these app/shortcuts on BlackBerry World aren't contributing anything. The description of what the 'app' does is generally misleading. The paid version often only accomplishes removing the crappy ad traffic they generate while you're trying to use the shortcut. It's a scam, plain and simple.

2) If you try to warn others by leaving a poor review in BlackBerry World, they can, and do, submit your review to BlackBerry to get it removed. And they generally succeed, apparently, judging by how these 'apps' often have 4-5 star ratings.

I'm sincerely hoping that the only reason BlackBerry allows this to go on is to boost the app count. I hope they stop trying to fill BlackBerry World by allowing crappy developers to package browser shortcuts as apps. The world doesn't need any more useless applications.

Posted via CB10
    WanShark69 likes this.
    12-18-13 10:13 PM
    It makes me suspicious and reluctant to pay for something when I don't trust the description offered. I have noticed that there is a lack of reviews on the apps,and the ones I've seen are never negative so I think u are right,they must be removed.this whole thing clouds my overall opinion of blackberry and leaves me thinking that they are happy to rip off customers in a sly way.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 05:01 AM
    I should clarify something here. It's not BlackBerry that is behaving in a scamming sort of way, it's the app developer who hammers out crappy apps with no intention of creating something genuinely useful. In that regard, BlackBerry is only responsible for the flawed review system. And it is badly flawed.

The reason that the Android and iPhone markets have hundreds of thousands, or even millions of apps, is because they allow the same thing to go on. It's just not realistic to have that many apps and not have a massive amount of pure crap mixed in.

My point was I hold BlackBerry to a higher standard. I want quality apps, and I'm not shy to pay for them. What I don't like seeing is BlackBerry World starting to get filled up with completely thoughtless and junky apps.

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 10:39 PM
    Hey guys, if there is a paid app that you are suspicious about you should ask CrackBerry if anyone is using it and if it is what you need. If nobody answers or uses it you have to ask yourself if it is something you really need. There are a lot of app scams out there. Not just in BlackBerry World. But like any consumer should do, look for advice or what other users say and make an informed decision before spending your money. If the app is free I would suggest looking through the Permissions when you are installing it to make sure it is only using what is necessary to run the app. i.e. a flashlight shouldn't need access to BBM or your Contacts. That right there is a red flag. Seriously I have not run into any apps from unknown developers that I truly felt I needed. Yes there is an app gap. Usually you will find people on CrackBerry already talking about all the good apps. Good luck.

@Maggie Brown. If you use a lot of apps on your Android device, I would go through the permissions of those apps too. There are a lot of useful apps on Android that are missing on BlackBerry. A lot of smaller devs are trying to cash in on that by providing faux apps or even complete rips from Google Play. It is difficult for BlackBerry to check them all. It would take a complaint from the original developer and rarely do they look at BlackBerry for any reason so these things go on behind their backs. This doesn't happen with popular apps though. They are usually caught immediately.
    12-19-13 10:54 PM
    Have you seen the windows store? The apps on my windows 8 laptop are minimal... (not sure if it's the same as the windows 8 phone, but sure the stores are somewhat similar)

Posted via CB10
    12-19-13 11:24 PM
    they just need to delete all of s4bb 200k apps, what garbage those are..
    12-19-13 11:30 PM
    I just posted a while ago in my topic about a report function: apps in the "App for x" genre sometimes even get a special banner dedicated to them!
    I can not blame BlackBerry for letting these apps in, that is just the way app stores work, free market etc. But endorsing them by putting them in the spotlight? Even when they are obviously trying to scam unsuspecting users (who are looking for app X, not some silly news-feed app)?
    That is just a bad mistake in my opinion, and it should be moderated more strictly.

BlackBerry 10 signed.
    12-19-13 11:37 PM
    There's a lot of junk in there but all it takes is some common sense and you can generally filter out the junk, spam from real apps. The latest trick is to stick "App for" before the name of whatever junk app it is, so you can pretty much ignore 99.9% of those. Also, screenshots are a dead give away so if an app doesn't have screenshots then don't even bother with it.

Sadly, a lot of the crap lingers around and the REALLY good apps tend to get pushed to the bottom. I actually found a ton of great apps in BBW that I had never even seen arrive. You really do have to dig through the categories and into the sections, if there was one huge flaw with BBW I'd say the discoverability of apps is it.

[PS: Not speaking to anyone specifically here but let's not turn this into a battle of the app stores. We ALL know there is a ton of junk in each and everyone of them that exists, so let's not argue about it. The junk is everywhere.]
    eddy_berry and El Bori like this.
    12-19-13 11:40 PM
    To give an example of what I mean,just in case u think I haven't used my common sense in this matter.on Google play I had the bits strip app which unsurprisingly allowed me to play bit strips.i then go to bw and have paid for 2of the apps for bit strips (there are 5),neither of which allow you to play.they both give the impression u will be able to.one has the cheek to tell u how to get the app that works. BBC sport app is actually a bookmark,need for speed crashes yr phone,the camera apps don't work unless u get a paid version,a yoga app which promised different exercises wouldn't work without paying,the majority of the wall paper apps and ring tone apps allow u 1free and then want payment.i accept that on Google play there is some disappointing apps but for the basic apps I have mentioned u can guarantee that more than one will work well from each category. There just is no comparison,and until bw can get it more right than wrong with their app choices then nothing will change and they are out classed by gp tenfold

Posted via CB10
    WanShark69 likes this.
    12-20-13 12:14 PM
    I think the whole point is that whether it's blackberry world or the developers fault is a lot of apps/games are a complete rip off, nobody is causing a app war between blackberry world, Google play or even apple...who said windows 8? (lol) the point is I would expect to go down to sainsbury to buy a tin of beans and when I open the tin there's a message inside that says "if you want to eat these beans you need to pay extra...or theres no beans inside...there certainly wouldn't be anyone saying don't start a supermarket war coz tesco beans are cheaper and better! also blackberry world must take some responsibility for allowing all the dodgy apps/games on blackberry world....i like what maggie says, she has a very valid point.

Sent from my Z10
    12-20-13 12:31 PM
    Maggie Brown, have you been to Apple App Store? It's full of apps that just beep or teet & that is already considered an app.

Well anyway I have purchased a few apps from BlackBerry World & some of them don't work according to my requirements, they do work as it is to but still remains unusable to me, so I emailed the developer via the link in BlackBerry World & they offered to refund my purchase price to me. I did not take up this option because they are also looking into fulfilling my requirements in future updates.

Hope you are able to get your refunds.

Posted via CB10
    12-20-13 01:02 PM
    Loc22 so what ur saying is u download an app, it could work perfectly fine but not perfectly fine for ur requirements? So we can all pay for an app, complain to the developers and get them to alter the app to our requirements? Is that really what ur saying?
    THE WHOLE POINT IN THE BEGINNING OF THIS THREAD IS SOME APPS ON BLACKBERRY WORLD ARENT AS DESCRIBED AND/OR DONT WORK....who really cares what's on Apple, android or whatever store...its not about the other stores...its about blackberry world

Sent from my Z10
    12-20-13 01:23 PM
    Loc22 so what ur saying is u download an app, it could work perfectly fine but not perfectly fine for ur requirements? So we can all pay for an app, complain to the developers and get them to alter the app to our requirements? Is that really what ur saying?
    THE WHOLE POINT IN THE BEGINNING OF THIS THREAD IS SOME APPS ON BLACKBERRY WORLD ARENT AS DESCRIBED AND/OR DONT WORK....who really cares what's on Apple, android or whatever store...its not about the other stores...its about blackberry world

Sent from my Z10
    Yes, why not? BlackBerry & their app developers are very user friendly. At least that is my experience for the last few years.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-13 02:58 AM
    Well I'm still waiting for a refund that I asked for 4 days ago, the email I received stated I would be contacted within 48 hours

Sent from my Z10
    12-21-13 07:36 AM
    User friendly isn't a complaint I have. It's the fact that I have had the same apps on Google play and they both work and are free.same apps on bbw don't actually work or the description is misleading to say the least .Am I therefore to believe that this is all down to the developers and bbw are not responsible? I'm just speaking as I find.i seriously think they need to have some sort of quality control.

Posted via CB10
    12-21-13 07:43 AM
    Well I'm still waiting for a refund that I asked for 4 days ago, the email I received stated I would be contacted within 48 hours

Sent from my Z10
    When you contact the developer your email goes directly to the developer.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-13 03:27 AM
    User friendly isn't a complaint I have. It's the fact that I have had the same apps on Google play and they both work and are free.same apps on bbw don't actually work or the description is misleading to say the least .Am I therefore to believe that this is all down to the developers and bbw are not responsible? I'm just speaking as I find.i seriously think they need to have some sort of quality control.

Posted via CB10
    Can you post the apps from BBW that your are talking about...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1259
    12-22-13 03:31 AM
    Yep. I cannot and do not want to have hundreds of apps installed on my phone. I guess an app store featuring a few hundred HIGH-quality apps filled with goodness is worth more than half a million crApps.

I do not want to sort through all the garbage myself and buy apps hit-and-miss. Actually, I'd be happy to pay double the money for apps, if I knew the GestAppo has done its job, the garbage has been weeded out and we only get the good stuff ...

Raw app count doesn't count....

Posted via CB10
    Thewaxedworm likes this.
    12-23-13 02:48 PM
    Yep. I cannot and do not want to have hundreds of apps installed on my phone. I guess an app store featuring a few hundred HIGH-quality apps filled with goodness is worth more than half a million crApps.

I do not want to sort through all the garbage myself and buy apps hit-and-miss. Actually, I'd be happy to pay double the money for apps, if I knew the GestAppo has done its job, the garbage has been weeded out and we only get the good stuff ...

Raw app count doesn't count....

Posted via CB10
    How does Google play and iTunes weed out crap app?

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1259
    12-23-13 02:50 PM
    I'd really like to know who pockets the money. For paid apps,blackberry or the developers? Because if it's the developers why do they charge on bbw but not in gp on many apps.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-13 04:18 PM
35 12