I have heard conflicting things about this, and before I go through all the hassle of it, I want to know what the real answer is, and how to go about doing it!

Can the torch 9850 & the tour both from sprint, which have sim cards be unlocked to use internationally? (Mexico specifically).

I travel frequently to Cancun & Rosarito regularly and have a telcel sim card, but need to unlock my phones to use,. Can this even be done... if so how?

I appreciate your help!! Long time blackberry user, new to the forums! Discovered this last night when I taught myself how to reload the OS after I accidently deleted it

thanks again!!
    02-23-12 10:10 PM
    Final Answer, Yes.

You will have to unlock it though and you can find out how in our unlock section.

This can also be done with the 8800, 9650, 9930.
    amandap34 likes this.
    02-23-12 11:01 PM
    Hey amandap34,

Welcome to Crackberry!

To confirm, yes Deathcommand is absolutely right,

It is possible to unlock both of those models and use them with any gsm network worldwide.

They will work with a Telcel simcard with no problems!

If you have any other questions at all feel free to ask,

Cheers,

James
    02-24-12 02:59 AM
    Hi,

Yep, both phones are able to connect to GSM networks, so once unlocked, you'll be able to connect them to any GSM network worldwide.

3 answers, hope that's conclusive enough for you...
    02-27-12 11:43 AM
    hey guys, thanks so much for your answers. I have another question ... I dont have the sim cards IN HAND, I have to wait to to get the actual mexican sim card when I get there in two weeks. Can i use another sim card for right now and then when I get to mexico I can just pop in that one when i get there?

Thanks again!! sorry I'm so new to this!
    02-28-12 12:12 AM
    Yes if the simcard is not locked out of your device you can use it till you are in mexico.
    After that you can use the sim card that you get when you are in mexico over two weeks.
    02-28-12 12:24 AM
    sorry, to clarify.... do i need to unlock the phone with some sort of sim card... or can I go ahead and just follow unlock directions without for now. Cause right now I am on the sprint network and dont have a sim card so I'd have to borrow one to just unlock it and then switch back to my own network then when I get to mexico just pop in the sim waiting for me to use that network.
    02-28-12 12:45 AM
    Apparently it does not work like that lol.
    02-28-12 12:47 AM
    im not sure what that means.

I have NO sim card right now, trying to unlock though before I go to mexico so when I get the sim all I have to do is pop it in. Is this possible to do?

Or do I have to unlock it with a borrowed simcard just to unlock it or do you have to unlock it every time for different sims?
    02-28-12 01:08 AM
    You need a unlock code to unlock your device. Swapping sim cards doesn't unlock your phone.
    02-28-12 01:17 AM
    It will only work on 2G once unlocked.
    02-28-12 11:01 AM
    I have the unlock codes already. Just wanted to make sure I needed a borrowed sim card to unlock then I can switch back.
    02-28-12 01:17 PM
    Any sim card will do. Even the roaming sim will work as well to unlock the device.
    02-28-12 01:35 PM
    I have heard conflicting things about this, and before I go through all the hassle of it, I want to know what the real answer is, and how to go about doing it!

Can the torch 9850 & the tour both from sprint, which have sim cards be unlocked to use internationally? (Mexico specifically).

I travel frequently to Cancun & Rosarito regularly and have a telcel sim card, but need to unlock my phones to use,. Can this even be done... if so how?

I appreciate your help!! Long time blackberry user, new to the forums! Discovered this last night when I taught myself how to reload the OS after I accidently deleted it

thanks again!!
    Yes they can, but do believe both Sprint devices come unlocked.
    02-28-12 09:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD