06-22-09 01:37 AM
27 12
tools
    Hey. So, I've never left the United States besides for Canada and Bermuda once so the whole "world phone" thing isn't too big to me.

However, I'd like to get the phone unlocked just because I am a geek, and also I have a hope (although a slim one) that ill save some money and go to Ireland at the end of the summer.

Do you think if I bought the Tour the day it came out and just told them then I was going to be vacationing in Europe this summer (even though I don't know) they'd unlock it for me right then?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-09 04:51 PM
    I'm certain it would not be done.
    06-21-09 05:00 PM
    I'm certain it would not be done.

From reading some of your posts throughout the different forums I am guessing you work for verizon is one way or another. Does the line "can't wait for July 13th" mean that is OFFICIALLY the day on which the Tour will be coming out?!
    06-21-09 05:15 PM
    no they will not. if anything, if your phone is unlocked, they'll probably lock it! vzw is like Bush, they like to lock phones up and kill humans.
    06-21-09 05:21 PM
    no they will not. if anything, if your phone is unlocked, they'll probably lock it! vzw is like Bush, they like to lock phones up and kill humans.

once a bb is unlocked its unlocked permanently..

anyway many people got there storm unlocked directly from verizon by calling global support and telling them there taking a vacation..

However you couldn't say I am taking a vacation at the end of the summer..

you have to make it sooner...

just read the unlocking storm threads on this forum..

I believe if verizon unlocks it they also remove the online ESN change from your account though.
    06-21-09 05:24 PM
    I kinda knew they wouldn't unlock it that quick. But the question then becauses... is there a guideline as to what circumstances and when they will unlock your phone? From everything I have read, it all seems discretionary and based on you being lucky enough to get someone on the phone that will do it for you.

There has to be some official wording on the process if any as this seems like too mucch Totalitarianism for my taste.
    06-21-09 05:30 PM
    You should have no problem unlocking the Tour. I called Verizon the day after I got it and they gave me the unlock code.
    06-21-09 05:33 PM
    So, should I try telling them I'm taking a vacay soon when I buy it, or just take it home and call them asap?

06-21-09 05:46 PM
    once a bb is unlocked its unlocked permanently..

anyway many people got there storm unlocked directly from verizon by calling global support and telling them there taking a vacation..

However you couldn't say I am taking a vacation at the end of the summer..

you have to make it sooner...

just read the unlocking storm threads on this forum..

I believe if verizon unlocks it they also remove the online ESN change from your account though.
    well they'll probably figure out a way to lock it! that's the thing with vzw is that they always have a "caveat" to everything they offer/do. I like caviar NOT caveat! For a caviar of a company the sure do offer lots of "caveats"!
    06-21-09 05:48 PM
    So, should I try telling them I'm taking a vacay soon when I buy it, or just take it home and call them asap?

why wait any longer? just call them now and tell them you're leaving for ireland tomorrow...like poster said above, once its unlocked then its unlocked, then I don't see any harm in getting it unlocked now...someone else can confirm though...im not that big of a cell phone dweeb to know this.
    06-21-09 05:50 PM
    Well I wouldn't call them today because I don't have the phone haha. I need to wait until it comes out and I buy it. I'm going to just be like "I am going to ireland in a couple of days and I was really excited to get a global phone before then, can you unlock it? Haha

06-21-09 05:54 PM
    why do people want them unlocked?????
    06-21-09 05:56 PM
    why do people want them unlocked?????
    I think just like what the miss america contestants say, for world peace and to travel the world...
    06-21-09 06:03 PM
    Well I wouldn't call them today because I don't have the phone haha. I need to wait until it comes out and I buy it. I'm going to just be like "I am going to ireland in a couple of days and I was really excited to get a global phone before then, can you unlock it? Haha

LOLOLOL...sowwy, my buuust...i thought you were one of them special peeps that got it before the release! But remember little Timmy, make sure not to call from the phone that you want unlocked!
    06-21-09 06:04 PM
    When I bought my Storm, the nice gentleman on the phone that placed my order asked if I needed the phone unlocked for travel. I told him that I didn't and he said to just call back a few days before traveling outside the US if I want it unlocked.
    06-21-09 06:08 PM
    Hey. So, I've never left the United States besides for Canada and Bermuda once so the whole "world phone" thing isn't too big to me.

However, I'd like to get the phone unlocked just because I am a geek, and also I have a hope (although a slim one) that ill save some money and go to Ireland at the end of the summer.

Do you think if I bought the Tour the day it came out and just told them then I was going to be vacationing in Europe this summer (even though I don't know) they'd unlock it for me right then?

If you catch the right Verizon rep, yes it can be done. If not, check out Horizon Wireless or another unlocking company for it. Unlocking is cheap.
    06-21-09 06:13 PM
    well they'll probably figure out a way to lock it! that's the thing with vzw is that they always have a "caveat" to everything they offer/do. I like caviar NOT caveat! For a caviar of a company the sure do offer lots of "caveats"!

no you still don't understand..

its physically impossible to re lock a blackberry once the unlock code is in there and opened..

you can completely erase the device and its still unlocked..

once its network unlocked its that way for good.
    06-21-09 06:17 PM
    no you still don't understand..

its physically impossible to re lock a blackberry once the unlock code is in there and opened..

you can completely erase the device and its still unlocked..

once its network unlocked its that way for good.
    great. my tour will be unlocked FOREVER!

06-21-09 06:19 PM
    I think just like what the miss america contestants say, for world peace and to travel the world...
    i thought since i was a world phone it could already do that
    06-21-09 06:44 PM
    You have to unlock the gsm side to be able to use a Sim card

06-21-09 07:33 PM
    u can use it overseas locked, however u are forced to use verizon's expensive global plan instead of using prepaid sim cards. Thats the point of unlocking it. Freedom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    06-21-09 07:50 PM
    no, unless you bribe a sales person with wads of cash under the table
    06-21-09 08:02 PM
    If you catch the right Verizon rep, yes it can be done. If not, check out Horizon Wireless or another unlocking company for it. Unlocking is cheap.
    Noobie question, how safe is this?
    06-21-09 09:30 PM
    Horizon wireless is completely safe.. Unlocking a device doesnt give them access to your device or account. Most reps in global support will actually unlock the device. tell them your going to the mideast and if your account is in good standing then they will handle it. Otherwise pay Horizon a couple bucks and get it done..
    06-21-09 11:43 PM
    If i bought a Bb form someone that is not unlock can i call the provider for the unlock code?
    06-21-09 11:50 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD