I bought a used Blackberry 8820 from eBay. The phone itself is in great condition. I inserted my AT&T sim card since it was a "locked" AT&T Blackberry. I configured the browser only for wi-fi and all was great until the next morning when I received two text messages from Ma Bell stating that had already put me on a $30.00/mo data plan. This is the scenario I wanted to avoid which is why I bought a Blackberry with wi-fi capabilities. I don't need internet all the time, just at times I'm not near a PC. Would "unlocking" my Blackberry keep AT&T from knowing I switched phones? I still am amazed at the speed in which they discovered I was using a Blackberry.
    04-29-10 09:43 PM
    It is part of the service agreement you accepted when using their service. Need to get a dumbphone if you don't want the plan.
    04-29-10 10:05 PM
    What I think people fail to understand is that I know that if I bought a NEW Blackberry/Smartphone, I would have to automatically be placed on a data plan. But again, this is a USED Blackberry 8820 which AT&T doesn't carry any longer.

I was trying to circumvent the system, which is one of the main reasons for websites such as this.
    04-30-10 04:17 PM
    You can try all you want, but if IT's a device branded to them then they will automatically add it which is what your not understanding. Since they IMEI is in their system they know its a SmartPhone device which REQUIRES the plan. Now if you were to get one not branded to AT&T then it wouldn't show up in their system.
    04-30-10 04:22 PM
    I'm sure it's branded. A few years ago I bought a used unlocked Nokia from eBay and when my contract with T-mobile was up, I used it on AT&T's network and then when my first AT&T phone broke, I went back and used the old Nokia and AT&T had no clue. But times have changed. I was just trying to explore my options. I might still have it unlocked but for a different reason. I might research JAB Cellular and their pricing. If I like what I find, I might use my Blackberry on that. Or I might remove some features and go with the data plan with AT&T.
    04-30-10 04:36 PM
    You could probably find someone who would trade you evenly for the same device for one from Tmobile.
    04-30-10 04:39 PM
    It would have to be an unlocked Blackberry.
    04-30-10 05:02 PM
    Of course, but even if it wasn't it could easily be done.
    04-30-10 05:03 PM
    Yes, I thought of that only after I posted!
    04-30-10 06:41 PM
    It really sucks that ATT is sticking it to their customer and forcing them to either add a data plan or get a phone thats not from there network..but I guess they think its a wise move

Just trade up or change providers!
    04-30-10 11:24 PM
    A previous poster suggested I swap my AT&T 8820 for one branded under T-mobile. Is there any way I can do that at this site? I like it too much to try to re-sell it then go through the process of getting one that is either unlocked or one that is T-mobile branded.
    05-01-10 09:35 AM
    Sure will in the MarketPlace forum
    05-01-10 09:46 AM
    dude trust me waste no more time...Just have CarrierUnlock and the Folks over at Free Your phone unlock it for u...

They can unlock any phone, they unlocked my Blackberry Curve in secs with no regret
    05-01-10 03:33 PM
    As CarrierUnlock stated in a previous post,
    You can try all you want, but if it's a device branded to them then they will automatically add it which is what your not understanding. Since they IMEI is in their system they know its a SmartPhone device which REQUIRES the plan. Now if you were to get one not branded to AT&T then it wouldn't show up in their system.
    This means that unlocking it won't keep it from showing up in their system. It is a AT&T branded Blackberry.
    05-01-10 10:29 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD