I want to sell my black torch online so i can get enough money to buy the white one from best buy but i want to unlock it first so it can sell for more. I've heard from others that if you call at&t and tell them you will be going overseas they will issue you out an unlock code. Is that true? Would they charge me for that? Thanks in advance guys.
    11-27-10 01:46 AM
    i am not too sure if at&t unlock the torch i am a rogers customer and i know they do not provide unlock codes. Check this link out to unlock your blackberry torch its only $7.49 once you apply the promo code which is crackb50!! CellUnlock.net-Unlock Your AT&T Cingular Phone by Code Click on the Blackberry for AT&T USA.. Good Luck !!!
    11-27-10 01:56 AM
    AT&T does sometimes give out unlock codes. You could try calling, but sometimes they're a bit stingy. If you don't want to pay for an unlock code, you could always try the forums here on CB. Unlocking companies are always giving away free codes.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-27-10 06:27 AM
    I am with anoxia187 just use Cellunlock they haave never let me down.

11-27-10 08:07 AM
    Just out of curiosity I called AT&T and told them I was going overseas for a few weeks and was wondering if they could supply me with an unlock code. After a while of talking I was transferred to a "manager". After explaining the situation again to him, I was supplied with the instruction and code to unlock my torch.

Of course I lied through my teeth(since I'm not going overseas anytime soon), but it seems if your the right customer(been with AT&T since back when we had bag phones that sat in your car, like 89ish?) with the right story, they will give you the unlock code.

Mind you I was on the phone with AT&T for little over a half hour. So it might be easier and less time consuming to just use an unlocker service you can find on the web.
    Last edited by homer1475; 11-27-10 at 08:17 AM.
    11-27-10 08:14 AM
    T-Mobile gives phone unlock code 90 days after the contract is activated - provided the account is in good standing. i.e if you are current/prompt with your bill payments. I didn't have to give any excuses to obtain the unlock code ever. I had read somewhere it is the same with AT&T phones (except Iphone ofcourse).
    11-27-10 08:28 AM
    I was actually in ATT yesterday - my mom switched from TMO to ATT and got a torch. The sales rep saw mine, and I told her I unlocked it to use it with TMO. She asked how I did that, since, as she said, ATT didn't even have the unlock codes for the torch yet. I told her a few minutes on Crackberry directed me to many free or cheap sites to get one. So, it sounds like they WOULD give one to an ATT user but can't as of yet...

11-27-10 08:43 AM
    I was actually in ATT yesterday - my mom switched from TMO to ATT and got a torch. The sales rep saw mine, and I told her I unlocked it to use it with TMO. She asked how I did that, since, as she said, ATT didn't even have the unlock codes for the torch yet. I told her a few minutes on Crackberry directed me to many free or cheap sites to get one. So, it sounds like they WOULD give one to an ATT user but can't as of yet...

Got my code from AT&T. You cant believe what in store sales reps tell you.

Case in point.

My sister in law recently went in to upgrade to a family plan from a single plan and just wanted one of their "free" phones. She was told(in store sales rep) "we no longer offer free phones", and was offered 2 other devices that would have cost her 500$ for both devices. Disgusted with this action she went home to call customer servvice to complain. When she got home she called AT&T, they set her all up(upgraded her line and gave her 2 free phones), and had they had no idea why they told her they don't offer free phones because it was an outright lie and they were just trying to make a sale.
    11-27-10 08:52 AM
    I tried calling ATT for the unlock code and they told me that I have to wait 1year before they would give it to me

11-27-10 09:39 AM
    Call back.

11-27-10 11:43 AM
    I am in the DEP (Delayed Entry Program) for the US Navy right now, my recruiter and I were talking about unlocking sell phones she said to just call AT&T and say you're in the Navy and you're going on deployment and need to unlock your phone. She said it works every time and with no questions asked (though I think she has a military account).

Anyways you can call and say something like "I'm leaving for boot camp I wanted to unlock my phone because I know I'm going to go over seas shortly after" and they should just give you the code.
    Last edited by kmbro90; 11-27-10 at 06:43 PM.
    11-27-10 06:40 PM
    Got my code from AT&T. You cant believe what in store sales reps tell you.

Case in point.

My sister in law recently went in to upgrade to a family plan from a single plan and just wanted one of their "free" phones. She was told(in store sales rep) "we no longer offer free phones", and was offered 2 other devices that would have cost her 500$ for both devices. Disgusted with this action she went home to call customer servvice to complain. When she got home she called AT&T, they set her all up(upgraded her line and gave her 2 free phones), and had they had no idea why they told her they don't offer free phones because it was an outright lie and they were just trying to make a sale.

This makes me curious because all of the ATT stores I deal with do not make money on selling phones they make their money on their plans that they sell to people.
    11-27-10 06:42 PM
    I am in the DEP (Delayed Entry Program) for the US Navy right now, my recruiter and I were talking about unlocking sell phones she said to just call AT&T and say you're in the Navy and you're going on deployment and need to unlock your phone. She said it works every time and with no questions asked (though I think she has a military account).

Anyways you can call and say something like "I'm leaving for boot camp I wanted to unlock my phone because I know I'm going to go over seas shortly after" and they should just give you the code.
    Telling a little white lie to get your phone unlocked is one thing. However, claiming to put your life on the line for our country when you do not is another thing. I find it pretty deplorable. Shame on you if anyone actually pulls this stunt.

11-27-10 06:57 PM
    AT&T will only release a code if you have been with the carrier for x many years and spent x amt of dollars with them. ..
    11-27-10 07:31 PM
    AT&T will only release a code if you have been with the carrier for x many years and spent x amt of dollars with them. ..
    This would make sense since I have been a customer since 89ish. Yes I know that's before AT&T lol, formerly cingular, formerly cell one.

ChallengerDS:

As far as the story from my sister in law.. I can only tell you what she told me. I do know she called me the day she went to the store, she was so peeved because they told her they didn't have free phones and she didn't know what to do. She only called me because I was the one who told her to go to that corporate store.
    11-27-10 08:14 PM
    Just an update, i called At&t and the lady said they'd email me if the unlock is possible, got a response today saying:

"After a review of your account, we have determined that your device is not eligible to be unlocked from the AT&T network because you have not met one or more of the following requirements:

Completed a minimum of ninety (90) days of active service with AT&T Mobility.

The account is in good standing and payments are current at the time of the request.

The device does not have an exclusive sales arrangement or the period of exclusivity associated with the device has expired.

No more than five unlock codes per year are permitted.

Prepaid/Go Phone customers:

o Completed a minimum of 6 months of service.

o If less than 6 months of service, provided a copy of the sales receipt or other proof of purchase of the device."

Sooo i guess i need to use that site you guys showed me lol
    12-07-10 02:31 PM
    At&T can be strict at times.
    12-07-10 07:16 PM
    Lol I must have the worst luck. I was looking for recommendations on a good unlock service, when I saw this post.

I am actually leaving the country for a few weeks. After getting assigned a case number, AT&T refused to unlock my Torch and my Bold 9000 because of exclusivity reasons. I even mentioned I guess I'll just go the unlock service route and they were like ok go ahead. BIZZARE, especially considering I've been with AT&T for over 5 years, and they unlocked my razr v3 for me years go.
    12-07-10 07:31 PM
    And it costs the company nothing to release these codes for their clients ...
    12-07-10 08:39 PM
    Had my mine sim unlocked this week. Called customer care, told them that I am leaving the country this Friday (which is actually true), and within 10 minutes, the same person gave me my unlock code over the phone.
    When calling, I chose the option for Technical assistance.
    12-09-10 05:20 AM
    i am not too sure if at&t unlock the torch i am a rogers customer and i know they do not provide unlock codes. Check this link out to unlock your blackberry torch its only $7.49 once you apply the promo code which is crackb50!! CellUnlock.net-Unlock Your AT&T Cingular Phone by Code Click on the Blackberry for AT&T USA.. Good Luck !!!

$7.49 is a good deal?

I've gone to eBay for every phone I've had and have found unlock codes for $1.00 usually.
    12-09-10 05:57 AM
    There are a lot of unlocking companies here to give you a hand in the forum.
    12-09-10 02:51 PM
    lol subtle.
    12-09-10 03:18 PM
    Sounds like Verizon.... call one person who says no, hang up and call again and next person says sure, here is your code! LOL
    12-12-10 04:17 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD