I bought an 8320 for my brother as an x-mas gift. It still has the seller's phonebook and other personal data on it.

I would like to wipe the device and reload the newest OS. My question is: I am waiting on an unlock code from TMobile (had to hustle them to get it, but the blackberry techs there are much nicer than regular reps )

Should I unlock it before I wipe it? Will wiping it after it has been unlocked cause any problems? My brother uses AT&T and it is a tmobile phone. Does it matter if I unlock it before I wipe and reload the OS?
    12-11-08 10:27 AM
    Wiping and unlocking are independent. It won't matter which you do first. Unlocking is irreversible and won't be affecting by loading a new OS.
    12-11-08 10:35 AM
    Wiping and unlocking are independent. It won't matter which you do first. Unlocking is irreversible and won't be affecting by loading a new OS.
    Awesome Thanks for the quick reply!

On a semi-unrelated note. How do you check if a device is unlocked? Really just a question out of curiosity. I know this one is locked to tmobile, but how would a person check a device to see if it is locked to a carrier?
    12-11-08 10:39 AM
    Go to "Options" -> "Advanced Options" -> "SIM Cards", and type in "MEPD" while holding down Left Shift key.

ID: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
    Personalization:
    SIM..................... Disabled
    Network............... Disabled
    Network Subset..... Disabled
    Service Provider..... Disabled
    Corporate............. Disabled
    Phone Number:
    1XXXXXXXXXX

Under Network, a unlocked BB shows disabled which is what you have. A locked BB would show active under network.
    Last edited by ghostshell; 12-11-08 at 01:22 PM.
    12-11-08 01:19 PM
    Nice thanks
    12-11-08 01:46 PM
    12-11-08 04:37 PM
    Thanks for all the help. The 8320 has been successfully wiped, a fresh OS installed, and unlocked. Ready to be wrapped haha
    12-11-08 11:40 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD