I was recently in Mexico for a month, and came back with an extra 200$ on my bill, not so fun.

And im planning to go to mexico again next month and would like to unlock my storm so i can just use a local sim card,

which would be alot cheaper ( recieve free sms from USA&Mexico, $0.15 to sms USA and $0.03 to sms mexican cells.) $0.90/minute to usa, $0.10/mexico

Sure beats $0.05 cents in recieving a text and $0.25 to send whether it be a mexican or usa phone. $1.99/minute - whether usa or mexico

I know when the storm first came out everyone was ******** that verizon wouldnt unlock their storms and such.

I've had my storm since release, so i have an upgrade in a few months, will they unlock it no questions asked? or does it depend on the representative?
    02-08-10 05:45 PM
    It will take a week or two but they will do it for you. Just tell them why
    02-08-10 05:47 PM
    Call customer service and tell them you want to unlock your phone and they will do it for you without any problem. Just say that you are leaving the country and you have looked into their out of the country plans but they are too expensive. It worked for me without any problem.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-08-10 05:48 PM
    Ive also heard that unlocking your phone voids your warranty, which is one of the reasons i kinda pushed it to the back of my mind last month when i went since i get a damn new storm every other day. the whole void of warranty thing is lame, if it is true.
    02-08-10 05:51 PM
    Before you go into this, lemmie just get one thing on the table.

Mexico has CDMA service, which VZW has roaming agreements with.

CDMA does not use SIM cards. Your phone number is programmed into the phone, whether there's a SIM in there or not.

So locked or unlocked, your phone number *WILL* remain up and active while you are travelling. Be *VERY* careful in this case, as you will be juggling your US phone number and your mexican one!

Other stuff to keep in mind about juggling phone numbers:

Unlimited data plan is available on the VZW end. (Ask a global rep.) Even without the Globalemail plan, Mexico's data roaming rate is fairly low (about $5 per megabyte), so this may not be necessary if you aren't surfing the web or BBMing, but still nice to have if you plan on using data at all. The point? Well, if you have to pay $.99 per minute and pay $.50 to send a text vs. unlimited BBMing or other IMing, what's the better deal?

You can have people call you without THEM having to worry about long distance charges. (In a nutshell: If you use a mexican phone number, they pay for the call. If you use the US phone number, you pay for the call. It's something to consider when family or house-sitters are thrown into the mix.)
    02-08-10 06:11 PM
    VZW gave me the unlock code and instructions to unlock when i told them i was going out of country. Took 5 minutes.

i used my Tour in Mexico and added the Global Data plan. Worked great. The plan was prorated as well so wasn't too much.

i got 9630/4.7.1.61 unlocked in case i wanted to make phone calls. i would have used a local SIM. i told VZW this and there were no issues.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-08-10 06:15 PM
    Before you go into this, lemmie just get one thing on the table.

Mexico has CDMA service, which VZW has roaming agreements with.

CDMA does not use SIM cards. Your phone number is programmed into the phone, whether there's a SIM in there or not.

So locked or unlocked, your phone number *WILL* remain up and active while you are travelling. Be *VERY* careful in this case, as you will be juggling your US phone number and your mexican one!

Other stuff to keep in mind about juggling phone numbers:

Unlimited data plan is available on the VZW end. (Ask a global rep.) Even without the Globalemail plan, Mexico's data roaming rate is fairly low (about $5 per megabyte), so this may not be necessary if you aren't surfing the web or BBMing, but still nice to have if you plan on using data at all. The point? Well, if you have to pay $.99 per minute and pay $.50 to send a text vs. unlimited BBMing or other IMing, what's the better deal?

You can have people call you without THEM having to worry about long distance charges. (In a nutshell: If you use a mexican phone number, they pay for the call. If you use the US phone number, you pay for the call. It's something to consider when family or house-sitters are thrown into the mix.)
    His phone does have a SIM card, he can buy a SIM card from a carrier in Mexico if he wants. CDMA does have SIM cards like in the Tour, Storm and Storm 2
    02-08-10 06:17 PM
    His phone does have a SIM card, he can buy a SIM card from a carrier in Mexico if he wants. CDMA does have SIM cards like in the Tour, Storm and Storm 2
    Only because these phones are capable of roaming on GSM networks. That is the only reason these "global" phones have a SIM slot. The phone will still be capable of (and prefer) roaming CDMA, which does not use the SIM slot at all. His CDMA phone number will still be programmed into the phone, no matter what SIM is in there.

He can put a SIM card for Japan in there for all it matters, the CDMA number will still be capable of roaming in Mexico. (And Japan. )

Therefore, if he puts a different phone number SIM into that Storm, he will be using two phone numbers. He will be able to manually pick which number he uses, but he will still be using two phone numbers. (Kinda like Dual NAM-ing.)
    02-08-10 06:23 PM
    Yeah, i was worried about that too (having both numbers on the phone ) but, i plan to just activate an old curve onto my verizon number while im there.

And i was thinking about getting the global data plan this last month i went, but while i was there, there was absolutly NO data coverage, 1x 100% of the time, i stay in a small town, probably 600 people or so in it.

Oh, and no one know anything about the whole if-we-unlock-your-phone-your-warranty-is-void?

Oh and one more thing, if i DO decide to unlock it, use it in mexico, and put an old curve on my verizon account so my storm is free to use, WOULD the fact i took the storm OFF of my account for a month, void the warranty for that?
    Last edited by Enriqueftw; 02-08-10 at 06:43 PM.
    02-08-10 06:40 PM
    I thought SMS were free in Canada and Mexico?? I know for a fact that text messages to and from Canada are free. If you just add the international data plan it would just be an extra $30 a month, you can then use Yahoo, Google Talk and any other IM client without incurring any additional usage. The global data covers GSM clients as well, just turn off the 1X EVDO and use 2G/3G GSM. Keep the voice usage down and you should be fine.

If you unlock your device and use a local SIM, which is an option, you wont have the same number and you wont be able to use data, as you would need Verizon to release your PIN to your BB before you could add it to another carrier's BIS. As long as yo have that BB tied to your Verizon account they wont release it.

Your warranty wont be void as Verizon is the entity that unlocks your device, if you meet certain requirements. Not sure about 3rd party unlock vendors. I believe you would not be able to add insurance to your Storm if you decided to add it back to your Verizon account in the future. Besides, by removing your Storm and adding an old Curve you just add an additional data plan.

If you still dont have a suitable solution you can always pick up a local, prepaid device on the cheap.
    Last edited by cenloe; 02-08-10 at 07:09 PM.
    02-08-10 07:05 PM
    I was recently in Mexico for a month, and came back with an extra 200$ on my bill, not so fun.

And im planning to go to mexico again next month and would like to unlock my storm so i can just use a local sim card,

which would be alot cheaper ( recieve free sms from USA&Mexico, $0.15 to sms USA and $0.03 to sms mexican cells.) $0.90/minute to usa, $0.10/mexico

Sure beats $0.05 cents in recieving a text and $0.25 to send whether it be a mexican or usa phone. $1.99/minute - whether usa or mexico

I know when the storm first came out everyone was ******** that verizon wouldnt unlock their storms and such.

I've had my storm since release, so i have an upgrade in a few months, will they unlock it no questions asked? or does it depend on the representative?

Hmm you must have done a bunch of other things as well. Mexico is on .99 per minute
    02-08-10 07:12 PM
    Hmm you must have done a bunch of other things as well. Mexico is on .99 per minute
    I believe that .99 cents a minute to mexico is from here to there
    (Not sure though, i just use my metropcs phone to call mexico)
    when im there, calling anywhere is $1.99 a minute,

Atleast thats how it showed up on the bill.
    02-08-10 08:01 PM
    And i was thinking about getting the global data plan this last month i went, but while i was there, there was absolutly NO data coverage, 1x 100% of the time, i stay in a small town, probably 600 people or so in it.
    Don't be so sure. Just because there's no EV does not mean there's no data. However, with the low data roaming rate in Mexico, it shouldn't be too big an issue. If your blackberry doesn't immediately connect, give it a battery pull. That should give it the required kick in the shins.

Oh, and no one know anything about the whole if-we-unlock-your-phone-your-warranty-is-void?
    Completely false. However, we cannot guarantee anybody else's service will work on the phone, and we won't do warranty replacements for how it acts on somebody else's carrier, so you're on your own for either of those scenarios.

Oh and one more thing, if i DO decide to unlock it, use it in mexico, and put an old curve on my verizon account so my storm is free to use, WOULD the fact i took the storm OFF of my account for a month, void the warranty for that?
    Changing ESNs voids your warranty? News to me!

(And since sarcasm does not register well over the internet, lemmie spell it out for you. NO! )

However, once again, we can only guarantee the phone will work on our carrier. Anything else, you'll have to talk either to the other carrier, or RIM.

And yes, the roaming rate in Mexico is $.99 per minute. You run into different roaming rates in other countries however. A lot of Southeast Asian CDMA carriers charge $1.99, as do many Carribean ones.
    02-08-10 08:02 PM
    Just a few quick notes. Unlocking your phone does NOT void your warranty. Verizon, along with the other US carriers provide unlock codes for free to their customers if they fulfill certain requirements.

If not, then there are a few of us 3rd party unlockers on CB that are always here to help!
    02-08-10 08:26 PM
    I just called to unlock my phone,

They said there is 2 issues with unlocking my phone:

On the bill there is a balance foward of a few dollars the last couple months, and they say that it has to be fully paid for TWO months, before they'll unlock my phones.

#2 They say i've only had a storm on my account for less than 2 months, which has to be active for 60 days before they'll do it. ( Which is a lie, ive had this phone for over a year, got it january 10th, but because i got a replacement last month, THAT phone has to be on my account for 2 months before they unlock it,

and then he also threw in at the end, "UNLOCKING THE PHONE WILL VOID THE WARRANTY AND YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO GET A REPLACEMENT AGAIN"

I kindly just said thank you and hung up.

I find this total bull****, i've been with verizon for 8 years, and for them not to unlock a damn phone becasue a few dollars being fowarded to the next months bill. Do they think im going to ruin my credit, and continuing my verizon service after i unlock my phone? bull****.
    02-08-10 08:52 PM
    I agree that their requirements are pretty lame....nonetheless, we can help you if you ever need it
    02-08-10 08:55 PM
    I suppose if i can't unlock it a week before i go ill unlock it by purchasing it off your website.

Oh, and one more thing - I don't understand why everyone on here says it doesnt void the warranty, but when you call they say it does. :|

It's such a tough call.
    02-08-10 09:02 PM
    To be honest, I don't get it either lol. Verizon and every other US carrier provides their customers with unlock codes which are the exact same codes as we have. But when they provide them they magically don't void the warranty? lol...riihght

On a side note, I've gone through about 7 Blackberry's from Rogers that have been swapped under warranty. Each one has been unlocked and I never once had an issue or even a rep asking me if I had ever unlocked my phone

I just don't get the logic lol
    02-08-10 09:08 PM
    *sigh* It does not void the warranty. Having some hacker in a street-corner used-phone-store zap it into submission in an attempt to "unlock" would void the warranty, but anything from us is an official unlock.

That said, the account does need to be current.

If you want to be sure of the answer, just straight-out ask for global support next time you call in.
    02-08-10 09:11 PM
    Unlocking is not gonna void the warranty, just a scare tactic used by the carriers. LOL
    02-08-10 09:34 PM
    Now that's simply a baseless accusation.

This is why I say to just ask for global. It has nothing to do with scaring and everything to do with care reps not being trained in global support.
    02-08-10 10:03 PM
    Unlocking your phone does not void the warranty. I had Verizon unlock my wife's Tour two weeks ago. I call today with a problem she has been having with the device, and they tell me that it is still under warranty and will have a replacement device shipped to me on Wednesday by 3pm. They also sent both of us a Terms and Conditions email when we had the phones unlocked, here is what it read;

Your Verizon Wireless Global Phone is equipped with a compatible Subscriber Identity Module (SIM)
    Card (the Global Phone SIM Card) for use when roaming in 'GSM Mode' within the then-current
    Global Phone Service Area (GPSA), as published on Cell Phones,Smartphones,Mobile Cell Phone Plans - Verizon Wireless. When traveling
    internationally outside of the GPSA, You may use the Global Phones in 'CDMA Mode' throughout
    Verizon Wireless' international roaming service area, subject to applicable rates, terms and
    conditions. A current list of countries where international roaming service is available is accessible
    at Cell Phones,Smartphones,Mobile Cell Phone Plans - Verizon Wireless.
    To obtain voice/data service outside of the GPSA using a Global Phone in 'GSM Mode', Your Global
    Phone must first be unlocked by entering a numerical code (Unlock Code) into the phone (see
    Your phone manufacturer's user guide for instructions). Once unlocked, You may insert another
    wireless carrier's SIM Card (Other SIM Card) into the Global Phone to obtain service from that
    carrier. Each Global Phone has a unique Unlock Code. Unlock Codes are available upon request
    from Verizon Wireless subject to the following terms and conditions:
    1. You agree that Global Phone rates do not apply to any service obtained through the use of Other SIM
    Cards, and that Verizon Wireless is not responsible for, and has no information about, such service.
    2. YOU AGREE THAT ANY AND ALL USE OF OTHER SIM CARDS IN THE GLOBAL PHONE IS AT YOUR
    SOLE RISK AND EXPENSE AND IS SUBJECT TO THE RATES, TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE
    APPLICABLE WIRELESS CARRIER.
    3. You agree that, to the extent applicable when using Other SIM Cards, Your use of the Global Phone
    remains subject to Your Verizon Wireless Customer Agreement, Calling Plan and Global Phone
    terms and conditions, including without limitation, the requirement to abide by all applicable foreign
    laws when using the Global Phone outside of the United States.
    4. You agree that these Terms and Conditions become part of your Verizon Wireless Customer
    Agreement and Calling Plan.

Note the lack of anything describing a voided warranty.
    02-08-10 11:04 PM
    *sigh* It does not void the warranty. Having some hacker in a street-corner used-phone-store zap it into submission in an attempt to "unlock" would void the warranty, but anything from us is an official unlock.

That said, the account does need to be current.

If you want to be sure of the answer, just straight-out ask for global support next time you call in.
    Agreed. Call Global. It will no void your warranty. You need to have an active account for at least 60 days. Your account needs to be current. And it only takes a few minutes not weeks.
    02-08-10 11:23 PM
    Yup hope everything goes well if not we can help you out
    02-08-10 11:53 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD