10-09-09 03:47 PM
49 12
tools
    Your welcome, and i hate macs, even more now cause im being forced to use one and have to donate my old PC to my girls church youth group
    I'm sorry you don't like macs...I love my mac to pieces!
    Sucks you are being forced to use something you don't like! I'm guessing your job is making a switch?
    10-09-09 09:08 AM
    I'm sorry you don't like macs...I love my mac to pieces!
    Sucks you are being forced to use something you don't like! I'm guessing your job is making a switch?
    No, my girls dad got a brand new iMac so my gf deciding i need an upgrade in my life gave me his old iMac, its like a year old not half bad but worse than my old PC is by far.

Anyways she decided i should switch to a "better" computer and that since i wont need my old PC to donate it to the church her family goes to for their youth group, apparently they are building a new youth center for kids and they dont have the money to buy PCs so they were asking members to donate their old ones, and thus the pickle im in now lol
    10-09-09 09:28 AM
    If you look at the cost of the remanufactured unit, and the cost of the phone unit, you would be surprised. Personally, I like VzNav. Been paying for it for 11 months. Has traffic. Works great. Now compare that to a remanfucatured unit with the traffic subscription. Which saves money (i.e VzNav).
    Too expensive? Then get Garmin Mobile. It will look and act excatly like a Garmin unit. Never have to have the maps updated and you have the unit with you whenever you have the phone. Cheaper then a remanufactured one.
    I think it all really depends on the user and the type of travel. I live in PA and the type of travel i do, doesnt matter where i go i always hit traffic. Now if they had a pothole map location, then id sign up for life
    10-09-09 09:48 AM
    You guys complain about them locking GPS, well if you want a good network then Verizon needs lots money to keep it that way!You dont understand how much money they spend on the network each year!! now shut it
    10-09-09 09:50 AM
    You guys complain about them locking GPS, well if you want a good network then Verizon needs lots money to keep it that way!You dont understand how much money they spend on the network each year!! now shut it
    Stop preachin like you are the CEO of vzw!!
    Verzion makes a ton of money off of there plans alone &don't forget all the cellphone freaks that are always out buying phones for full retail. Really there is NO need for them to cripple gps! They have enough money &I wouldn't mind them putting a couple more towers out my way.
    10-09-09 09:54 AM
    If you look at the cost of the remanufactured unit, and the cost of the phone unit, you would be surprised. Personally, I like VzNav. Been paying for it for 11 months. Has traffic. Works great. Now compare that to a remanfucatured unit with the traffic subscription. Which saves money (i.e VzNav).
    Too expensive? Then get Garmin Mobile. It will look and act excatly like a Garmin unit. Never have to have the maps updated and you have the unit with you whenever you have the phone. Cheaper then a remanufactured one.
    That is what I did. I am using Garmin mobile and it works even better than my friend's Nuvi GPS. Of course I have to use a bluetooth GPS puck with my 8330, but it works just fine. They also told me (I have it in writing too) than I can transfer the program to another device within the first year of purchasing it. Great program, I am looking forward to having it on a Storm2. I paid $79 which is a much better deal than $120 for VZnav.

Here is a $79 coupon for the program if anyone is interested.
    Garmin | Garmin Mobile for BlackBerry - Turn your BlackBerry into a savvy navigator with Garmin Mobile

You could also get a dash mount kit to go with a storm for $16.79
    Amazon.com: Garmin Phone and PDA Dashboard Mount for Mobile 10 (010-10819-00): Electronics

For those without built in GPS you could also go with a dash mount kit with a built in bluetooth GPS receiver and one year subscription to Garmin mobile for $77.79 Amazon.com: Garmin Mobile for BlackBerry with GPS 20SM - GPS kit: Electronics

I know I know, but you try finding an image.
    10-09-09 09:57 AM
    Really? Your just going to jump in the thread a make a comment like that, really? How very troll of you.

Look, I get it. You probably work for Verizon and don't ever want to see in a dent in your paycheck. I also get that you are very company loyal, I respect that. You work for a good company and you should be proud of it. All that being said, you also need to look at it from a user standpoint. There are a number of apps that can and do use the GPS from things besides navigation. With the GPS locked these apps become useless and that causes a restriction on how VZW customers can use their phones. This is not something we want and not something we pay for. Combine that with the fact that, as smartphone users, we are already paying an extra $30 that the average cell user does not pay and you come up with a bit of a sore point for some people. I know we get data out of it, but the point is that they are already getting that little extra from us and VZNav is really for the dumbphone crowd to begin with
    10-09-09 10:14 AM
    wow, thanks for the links...

so will the $79 version work with the storm 2 once its released?
    10-09-09 10:19 AM
    You guys complain about them locking GPS, well if you want a good network then Verizon needs lots money to keep it that way!You dont understand how much money they spend on the network each year!![redacted]
    I would think you are correct if it weren't for that other carriers like AT&T and Sprint allow any application to use GPS. So, this makes it look like Verizon is just trying to squeeze an extra buck out of us. I don't have a problem with this actually - they should be allowed to make money any way they want. We should just be free to jump ship to a competitor if we want - and many do. Look, the iPhone has drawn umpteen million people to AT&T. If Verizon is business smart, which they probably are, they will eventually realize if they haven't already that they have to offer a competitive product or service to stay in business. So, I think it's safe to say that things will keep getting better and better for us, the consumers.
    10-09-09 11:25 AM
    yea i did that and nothing changed range wise on google maps.
    The curve and the pearl are only partially unlocked. You can only use BB maps with the Gps on the curve and pearl.
    The Storm,Pearl flip, Tour, Storm 2 and all future BB devices still have agps locked to vznav, but the autonomous or individual GPS is fully unlocked. Can use berryweather, Googlemaps, nav4all, amazegps, and poynts gps capabiliites.
    Last edited by theanswer3; 10-09-09 at 11:38 AM.
    10-09-09 11:30 AM
    Will we be able to use the Garmin program posted in the link above with the S2?
    The curve and the pearl are only partially unlocked. You can only use BB maps with the Gps on the curve and pearl.
    The Storm,Pearl flip, Tour, Storm 2 and all future BB devices still have agps locked to vznav, but the autonomous or individual GPS is fully unlocked. Can use beryweather, Googlemaps, nav4all, amazegps, and poynts gps capabiliites.
    oh and hello fellow Tampa citizen
    10-09-09 11:35 AM
    Will we be able to use the Garmin program posted in the link above with the S2?

oh and hello fellow Tampa citizen
    Hello as well. Yeah seems there are alot of tampa people waiting for storm2 have seen quite a few posting things. LOL
    10-09-09 11:40 AM
    The Storm,Pearl flip, Tour, Storm 2 and all future BB devices still have agps locked to vznav, but the autonomous or individual GPS is fully unlocked. Can use berryweather, Googlemaps, nav4all, amazegps, and poynts gps capabiliites.
    I have a Pearl on Verizon and have used BB Maps without problems. Recently, it cannot lock on to satellites. Can't say exactly when. Will try some other aps/trials. Garmin free trial won't work.
    10-09-09 11:52 AM
    damn I hope the garmin works on the Storm2 cuz I'll be all over that
    10-09-09 11:56 AM
    I have a Pearl on Verizon and have used BB Maps without problems. Recently, it cannot lock on to satellites. Can't say exactly when. Will try some other aps/trials. Garmin free trial won't work.
    If it is regular pearl ONLY BBmaps will work, nothing else will find the gps. If it is a pearl flip then other programs can be used.
    10-09-09 11:58 AM
    When I use any third party application such as googlemaps or nav4all or gps tracker etc. It utilizes my device gps and pin points me within a couple of meters. Why would u need gps "unlocked"?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-09-09 12:02 PM
    So where did that little vzwfanboy lover cartel go?! came by to talk some ish and leave? haha.
    10-09-09 12:03 PM
    Hello as well. Yeah seems there are alot of tampa people waiting for storm2 have seen quite a few posting things. LOL
    add me to the frustrated hoards in Tampa.
    10-09-09 12:13 PM
    Omg you all are so full of it. VzNav. Is way better then any 3rd party Nav. app. It does more then garmin does.

10-09-09 12:29 PM
    No, my girls dad got a brand new iMac so my gf deciding i need an upgrade in my life gave me his old iMac, its like a year old not half bad but worse than my old PC is by far.

Anyways she decided i should switch to a "better" computer and that since i wont need my old PC to donate it to the church her family goes to for their youth group, apparently they are building a new youth center for kids and they dont have the money to buy PCs so they were asking members to donate their old ones, and thus the pickle im in now lol
    sounds like you need to update your Girlfriend.... : .. jj
    10-09-09 12:31 PM
    When I use any third party application such as googlemaps or nav4all or gps tracker etc. It utilizes my device gps and pin points me within a couple of meters. Why would u need gps "unlocked"?

Yes the OP is using a Pearl 8130 I believe, and that device did have limited GPS ability that was originally unusable unless you went with VZ Navigator. BBmaps was later unlocked but other things would not work. First BB device with fully usable GPS on Verizon was the Storm so that is why you have no issues. So it is a very valid ? if you dont keep up on devices 24/7
    10-09-09 01:06 PM
    Yes the OP is using a Pearl 8130 I believe, and that device did have limited GPS ability that was originally unusable unless you went with VZ Navigator. BBmaps was later unlocked but other things would not work. First BB device with fully usable GPS on Verizon was the Storm so that is why you have no issues. So it is a very valid ? if you dont keep up on devices 24/7
    Oh ok. Well the question in will storm two have unlocked gps...so if storm 1 has this then it is fairly safe to assume storm 2 will as well

10-09-09 01:11 PM
    just grab those free road maps at the stands at the rest stops on the turn pikes
    10-09-09 02:39 PM
    Omg you all are so full of it. VzNav. Is way better then any 3rd party Nav. app. It does more then garmin does.

Really? Care to explain that? How exactly does it do more? I have used both and they offer just about the exact same services with Garmin being cheaper in the long run.

Btw, others would disagree with you.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/vz...mobile-114456/
    10-09-09 03:47 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD