10-09-09 03:47 PM
49 12
tools
    One of the things that annoys me terribly about my VZW Pearl is that the GPS only works with VZ Navigator (and BB maps). Is Verizon going to stop crippling the technology that everybody wants? Wifi is great - I told myself long ago that I simply would not buy another smartphone without Wifi. Isn't Verizon like the only big carrier that cripples the GPS on its Berries?
    10-09-09 07:50 AM
    hahha that was a joke right? vzw isn't going to unlock gps. i just don't see that happening...vzw wants to suck as much money out of us as they can...so they will probably keep gps crippled!
    10-09-09 07:52 AM
    aGPS locked to VZ NAv and BB Maps, autonomous GPS open to 3rd party apps
    10-09-09 07:53 AM
    You all are crazy.. GPS hasn't been locked in over a year.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-09-09 07:54 AM
    You all are crazy.. GPS hasn't been locked in over a year.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    maybe not on your storm...but on these curves, yes!
    10-09-09 07:55 AM
    They've opened up a bit, i used google maps personally when i had my Storm cause im not gonna pay for something to speak to me when i can read.

There are other options for true GPS navigation (turn by turn directions) like telenav and garmin mobile, but they cost money too so to each their own.

I guess i should say, No you are not limited to only VZ Navigator, they cut that **** out like a year or so ago
    10-09-09 07:56 AM
    its half locked =)

thats why its dual mode GPS. VZ doesnt allow use of its network for aGPS functions
    Last edited by RicanMedic78; 10-09-09 at 08:01 AM.
    10-09-09 07:58 AM
    They've opened up a bit, i used google maps personally when i had my Storm cause im not gonna pay for something to speak to me when i can read.

There are other options for true GPS navigation (turn by turn directions) like telenav and garmin mobile, but they cost money too so to each their own.

I guess i should say, No you are not limited to only VZ Navigator, they cut that **** out like a year or so ago
    i've use google maps a couple times and one of the times being when i was in NY and complete lost!
    the only bad thing with google maps is it gives you a range of where you might be, not exactly where you are.
    10-09-09 08:00 AM
    i've use google maps a couple times and one of the times being when i was in NY and complete lost!
    the only bad thing with google maps is it gives you a range of where you might be, not exactly where you are.
    if u were lost, u knew who to call
    10-09-09 08:02 AM
    hmm...well back when i had my Storm, the on device GPS was accurate to 3 meters lol, if i used the towers it would show me within a region of 1500 meters
    10-09-09 08:02 AM

That's great to know - thanks. I'm getting near the end of a 2-year contract on my Pearl, so that's about how far behind I am on things. I'm thinking this is a great time to be in the market for a new phone. I would absolutely be getting an iPhone if it were on Verizon's network. But even the Storm 2 will be a wonderful upgrade from a Pearl (my first BB).
    10-09-09 08:03 AM
    if u were lost, u knew who to call
    well I bumped into all the right people in NY while I was up there.
    one guy took us to the sub, showed us the trains to take bla bla bla.
    two hot chicks got us into this nice club for free and got us drinks.
    it definatly was a good time.

hmm...well back when i had my Storm, the on device GPS was accurate to 3 meters lol, if i used the towers it would show me within a region of 1500 meters
    how do you run it off the device GPS because when I use it...it gives me the 1500 meter range.
    10-09-09 08:04 AM
    What moosc said!

The GPS on my Pearl 8130 started working (with Google Maps, for example) last December 1.
    10-09-09 08:06 AM
    just get a reman garmin from tigerdirect or newegg some of them are pretty cheap as compaired to paying for a subscription to vznav
    10-09-09 08:07 AM
    just get a reman garmin from tigerdirect or newegg some of them are pretty cheap as compaired to paying for a subscription to vznav
    is it a one time fee or monthly?
    10-09-09 08:08 AM
    well I bumped into all the right people in NY while I was up there.
    one guy took us to the sub, showed us the trains to take bla bla bla.
    two hot chicks got us into this nice club for free and got us drinks.
    it definatly was a good time.

how do you run it off the device GPS because when I use it...it gives me the 1500 meter range.
    If your device has GPS built in go options > advanced options > GPS it should have options to use on device GPS (and you can also turn it off as well here to conserve battery). You'll know when on device GPS is on cause you'll see a little icon for it.

I dont think your curve has on device GPS, only berries on VZW that do would be the Storm and Tour iirc
    10-09-09 08:12 AM
    there are so many different models for GPS its silly, most people wouldn't even know where to start. Plus if you want ones that constantly update, you'd still end up pay a subscription unless you want outta date maps
    10-09-09 08:14 AM
    If your device has GPS built in go options > advanced options > GPS it should have options to use on device GPS (and you can also turn it off as well here to conserve battery). You'll know when on device GPS is on cause you'll see a little icon for it.

I dont think your curve has on device GPS, only berries on VZW that do would be the Storm and Tour iirc
    yea i clicked on GPS in my options and it was already set to device GPS and i put for gps service location on...didn't change anything tho.
    i can't wait to get rid of this damn curve!!
    10-09-09 08:17 AM
    is it a one time fee or monthly?
    there is no fee for using one of those devices unless you want to constantly update your maps. i bought a reman unit it 2007, came with a free map upgrade in 2008 and now its finally "outdated" but think about that term "outdated" the only thing that would really be changing is if roads are changing. and i dont know about anyone else but usually ANY navigator can be slightly off...none of them are perfect and you still have to do some thinking sometimes.

i think its worth it to just buy a reman unit online, take a free map update and just use it IMO
    10-09-09 08:23 AM
    yea i clicked on GPS in my options and it was already set to device GPS and i put for gps service location on...didn't change anything tho.
    i can't wait to get rid of this damn curve!!
    ugh i had to pick up my Bold to check, it should say under GPS services either E911 (its off) or Location ON (its ON) for devices that have built in GPS
    10-09-09 08:24 AM
    yea i did that and nothing changed range wise on google maps.
    10-09-09 08:41 AM
    there is no fee for using one of those devices unless you want to constantly update your maps. i bought a reman unit it 2007, came with a free map upgrade in 2008 and now its finally "outdated" but think about that term "outdated" the only thing that would really be changing is if roads are changing. and i dont know about anyone else but usually ANY navigator can be slightly off...none of them are perfect and you still have to do some thinking sometimes.

i think its worth it to just buy a reman unit online, take a free map update and just use it IMO
    If you look at the cost of the remanufactured unit, and the cost of the phone unit, you would be surprised. Personally, I like VzNav. Been paying for it for 11 months. Has traffic. Works great. Now compare that to a remanfucatured unit with the traffic subscription. Which saves money (i.e VzNav).
    Too expensive? Then get Garmin Mobile. It will look and act excatly like a Garmin unit. Never have to have the maps updated and you have the unit with you whenever you have the phone. Cheaper then a remanufactured one.
    10-09-09 08:43 AM
    yea i did that and nothing changed range wise on google maps.
    If its taking awhile to lock onto your location, might be something up in the software.

Did some reading and a few threads here were showing that some people couldnt get on device GPS to work correctly.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f110/ea...8330-a-268271/

hope it works for ya
    10-09-09 08:47 AM
    If its taking awhile to lock onto your location, might be something up in the software.

Did some reading and a few threads here were showing that some people couldnt get on device GPS to work correctly.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f110/ea...8330-a-268271/

hope it works for ya
    Thanks man, I'm gonna check that out once I get home and can actually link my bb to my mac. You rock!
    10-09-09 08:55 AM
    Thanks man, I'm gonna check that out once I get home and can actually link my bb to my mac. You rock!
    Your welcome, and i hate macs, even more now cause im being forced to use one and have to donate my old PC to my girls church youth group
    10-09-09 09:06 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD