I live in an area where I am seldom on the EDGE network with tmobile and I have several areas that I am SOS. If I unlock my phone will that help get on EDGE or improve areas that I have no signal? My wife has AT@T and she always has a signal.
    05-05-09 12:01 PM
    No, but make sure your settings in Options > Mobile Network > Network Selection Mode is set to Automatic.

There is Unicel(now VZW) here in Maine where I live and mine jumps between T-Mobile and Unicel all the time.
    05-05-09 12:05 PM
    No unlocking has nothing to do with coverage.
    05-05-09 12:08 PM
    So I take it you're on GPRS most of the time? I live close to an EDGE capable tower so I'm lucky, follow their advice although the 8900 is probably already set in Auto network selection.
    05-05-09 12:18 PM
    Yes, I am on GPRS most of the time. Its more frustrating in the areas that I am SOS and my wifes ATT phone is blazing with full bars.
    05-05-09 12:37 PM
    Sometimes when I roam I used to see ATT displayed on my screen. It was on an Indian reservation and maybe they were the only cell provider in that area so I got them. I'm sure you've considered unlocking and then switching your 8900 over to ATT right? Sometimes you have to pay the cancel fee but hey, if you need the coverage and it ain't there you have to do something.
    05-05-09 12:47 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD