I know it's a dumb question but I really have no idea and couldn't find the answer anywhere. I just bought a Droid Eris off ebay. I haven't gotten it yet but the description states it is new in box but unlocked. I am hoping I didn't goof buying an unlocked phone if it won't still work on Verizon.

Thanks
    03-07-10 07:05 PM
    There is no such thing as an 'unlocked' CDMA phone.

As long as it is not on the non-pay disconnect list or lost and stolen list, then it should activate just fine.

EDIT: If its 'new in the box' and the new owner has not accepted terms and conditions for a new phone when they did an upgrade, then it may still be locked and they would have to activate it before you could activate it.
    03-07-10 07:06 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply. I hope everything works out and I didn't just waste a bunch of money. lol
    03-07-10 07:09 PM
    Actually, cdma phones, at least, from Verizon, are "locked" in that the only sim card that can be used in their phones (Tour, 8830, Storm (others?)) for gsm are the ones that come with the phone for use overseas (Europe, other) BUT...

If you call Verizon, you can get them to unlock the sim card slot so it can be used with "foreign" sims for better calling rates (data is another story).

With that I know nothing about the phone you mentioned but if it is verizon, it may be treated the same as the BB's.

And as for the original question - only the sim slot is unlocked, so the phone still operates on Verizon stateside (and with the original sim card - verizon partners overseas).
    03-07-10 07:18 PM
    I know it's a dumb question but I really have no idea and couldn't find the answer anywhere. I just bought a Droid Eris off ebay. I haven't gotten it yet but the description states it is new in box but unlocked. I am hoping I didn't goof buying an unlocked phone if it won't still work on Verizon.

Thanks
    Yes you can.
    And an Eris is not a GSM capable phone so it wouldn't be unlockable.
    03-07-10 07:23 PM
    Yes it is a Verizon phone. I just wanted to make sure I didn't overlook any potential problems activating the phone when it arrives. I should have done some more research before hand but it was a seemingly good deal at the time so I bought it spur of the moment. If I did just shoot myself in the foot it won't be the first time. lol
    03-07-10 07:24 PM
    I have an "unlocked" Verizon BlackBerry Storm2. It works just fine. Unlocking only allows the SIM card spot to be used by a GSM carrier.

The Eris can't be unlocked as it is not a world phone and does not have a SIM card slot.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-07-10 07:26 PM
    Yes you can.
    And an Eris is not a GSM capable phone so it wouldn't be unlockable.
    Thanks. I was thinking that was the case and that it was probably just a keyword used in the description to get more hits.
    The phone will be fine as long as it is not a lost/stolen device.
    I would say make sure the ESN is clear by calling us before forking over any money. There is a system that "bans" an ESN reported lost/stolen or non-pay from a carrier. Also make sure it's not currently active on any accounts.

CDMA phones can't be "unlocked" because they are not "locked" in the first place. There is no sim slot to lock, just a serial number. The ESN on the phone is what associates your phone with your phone number, and the phone number is programmed directly into the phone. Problem is, most CDMA carriers do not support the use of phones from other carriers, because of the technical problems that can arise from it.

Some "cheapie" carriers (such as Cricket) will offer to add ESNs from other carriers to their databases and activate the phones. VZW doesn't typically do this, but it is technically possible. Often, the device will still "stick" to the previous carrier (that still has the ESN in their own database), so that often complicates things. Flashing is usually required to get all features from that particular carrier working properly.
    Last edited by Polychrome; 03-07-10 at 07:32 PM.
    03-07-10 07:29 PM
    Actually, cdma phones, at least, from Verizon, are "locked" in that the only sim card that can be used in their phones (Tour, 8830, Storm (others?)) for gsm are the ones that come with the phone for use overseas (Europe, other) BUT...

If you call Verizon, you can get them to unlock the sim card slot so it can be used with "foreign" sims for better calling rates (data is another story).

With that I know nothing about the phone you mentioned but if it is verizon, it may be treated the same as the BB's.

And as for the original question - only the sim slot is unlocked, so the phone still operates on Verizon stateside (and with the original sim card - verizon partners overseas).
    Umm, no boss. You're talking about unlocking a SIM card on a GSM/CDMA phone. In that case, then yes, the GSM sim card is locked and you need to get it unlocked. The CDMA side is still quite unlocked. So......what is your point? There still is no such thing as a locked CDMA Verizon phone.

However, the device in question is an android based HTC Eris which means it has no GSM capabilities and my original post stands as best advice.

So please, stop making posts that do nothing but further attempt to help while just plain making the waters murkier for customers who have genuine issues.
    03-07-10 08:54 PM
    Umm, no boss. You're talking about unlocking a SIM card on a GSM/CDMA phone. In that case, then yes, the GSM sim card is locked and you need to get it unlocked. The CDMA side is still quite unlocked. So......what is your point? There still is no such thing as a locked CDMA Verizon phone.

However, the device in question is an android based HTC Eris which means it has no GSM capabilities and my original post stands as best advice.

So please, stop making posts that do nothing but further attempt to help while just plain making the waters murkier for customers who have genuine issues.
    Now I am just as confused as before I posted. lol

Next time I will just hold out until I get to upgrade.
    03-07-10 11:25 PM
    No need to be confused. The Eris is a CDMA phone only. It has no GSM radio and no SIM card and therefore "unlocking" does not apply to it. As long as the phone isn't stolen, reported lost, or otherwise blacklisted it will work perfectly on the network it is flashed for, which is Verizon.
    03-07-10 11:33 PM
    Thanks for the quick reply. I hope everything works out and I didn't just waste a bunch of money. lol
    As far as we know it's not unlockable either.
    03-08-10 12:27 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD