I saw on horizonwirelessonline that they unlock phones. Why? What would this give me if I had them unlock my Verizon Storm?

Thanks
    03-21-09 02:29 PM
    I saw on horizonwirelessonline that they unlock phones. Why? What would this give me if I had them unlock my Verizon Storm?

Thanks
    Makes it available for services other than Verizon and voids the warranty.
    03-21-09 02:43 PM
    Or you can get it unlocked for free from verizon so you can use it outside of the USA.

No "advantages" like jailbreaking a iPhone etc.. no cool software etc...
    03-21-09 02:46 PM
    Makes it available for services other than Verizon and voids the warranty.
    Unlocking allows you to use the Storm with other GSM carriers; it does not void the warranty.
    03-21-09 02:46 PM
    So I can use Asian simcards in Asia

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-21-09 03:05 PM
    Its only useful if you plan on using it on another service. Otherwise there's no point in unlocking it.
    03-21-09 03:10 PM
    So I can use Asian simcards in Asia

Yes once you unlock your phone you can use any GSM sim card
    03-21-09 05:38 PM
    Unlocking allows you to use the Storm with other GSM carriers; it does not void the warranty.
    I did speak too vaguely, but there is a lot of debate about the issue apparently. My understanding is that if you get a code from Verizon (for 9530 of course) then it does not void the warranty. If you force it, or "hard unlocking," for use with other services, then it does. And this makes sense. Why would Blackberry support a phone you altered to work with a different service, and a different technology? They wouldn't be able to help you.
    03-22-09 01:12 AM
    Or you can get it unlocked for free from verizon so you can use it outside of the USA.

No "advantages" like jailbreaking a iPhone etc.. no cool software etc...
    Will blackberrys ever be able to be jailbroken and have cool software like the iphone?
    03-22-09 01:44 AM
    Will blackberrys ever be able to be jailbroken and have cool software like the iphone?
    IMO, no. It's also not that "type" of device that most would do this to. Again, just my $.02.
    03-22-09 02:06 AM
    I did speak too vaguely, but there is a lot of debate about the issue apparently. My understanding is that if you get a code from Verizon (for 9530 of course) then it does not void the warranty. If you force it, or "hard unlocking," for use with other services, then it does. And this makes sense. Why would Blackberry support a phone you altered to work with a different service, and a different technology? They wouldn't be able to help you.
    Unlocking your phone DOES NOT void the warranty, period!
    03-22-09 02:13 AM
    They don't give you anything... unlocking it is them giving you something.
    03-22-09 02:31 AM
    Called verizon and they gave me my unlock code. It said it unlock successfully, my question is once it is unlocked it its unlock permitly right no matter if the sim says inactive or active right ?????
    04-11-09 04:27 PM
    Once unlocked it is permanent
    04-11-09 04:30 PM
    Right, unlocking doesn't void your warranty but Verizon is not responsible to what happens to your unlocked phones if it is caused by another carrier not affiliated with Verizon. It is in their disclaimer email when unlock your phone with them.

Jailbreaking is not necessary with BlackBerries. There isn't any restrictions for homebrewed programs I believe. This I am not sure but the main purpose of Jailbreaking was to remove restriction to install homebrewed softwares. WinMo Phones, Andriod Phones and BlackBerries don't have that problem
    04-11-09 04:40 PM
    Thanks guys for the quick replay
    04-11-09 04:46 PM
    Forgive my ignorance,
    So if I had an AT&T sim with an unlocked Verizon 9530, Would it pick up the AT&T network if the Verizon network was unavailable?
    Reason I ask is because I currently carry two phones because my VZ doesn't work everywhere I do.
    04-11-09 05:52 PM
    I think so if you leave it on global... Not sure but it doesn't take even a minute to switch service carriers.
    04-11-09 08:12 PM
    Wouldn't it be really slow on att no 3g or wifi

04-11-09 09:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD