I'm confused as to what all the benefits of unlocking a phone are.

To the best of my knowledge, if you unlock, you can use it with any carrier, so for the 9780, it would be either T-Mobile or AT&T. Is this it?

Also, if I unlock my T-Mo 9780, would I still be able to receive support/help from T-Mo regarding the phone if any problems ever arise?

Thanks
    12-01-10 03:17 AM
    Correct you will still be able to receive help from T-Mo, the only so called benefit of unlocking is that you may use a gsm device across any carrier. Keep in mind that you will not be able to use the 3G speeds of these networks, as for AT&T and T-Mo use different frequencies.
    12-01-10 04:46 AM
    I'm confused as to what all the benefits of unlocking a phone are.

To the best of my knowledge, if you unlock, you can use it with any carrier, so for the 9780, it would be either T-Mobile or AT&T. Is this it?
    Only in the US. In other countries there are other GSM carriers.

If you have a T-Mobile phone, and you're with T-Mobile, I don't know of any benefit to unlocking. I've had locked T-Mobile 8320 and 8900 phones, and was easily able to sell them, locked, on eBay. The people who buy them can unlock them, if they need to.

Ubizmo
    12-01-10 06:51 AM
    Only in the US. In other countries there are other GSM carriers.

If you have a T-Mobile phone, and you're with T-Mobile, I don't know of any benefit to unlocking. I've had locked T-Mobile 8320 and 8900 phones, and was easily able to sell them, locked, on eBay. The people who buy them can unlock them, if they need to.

Ubizmo
    TMobile phones use a different 3G band than ATT/Telus/Roger and Bell.

But now with Wind and new carriers coming to North America international buyers will now be interested if you are looking to sell it. It also helps if you roam to Canada.

The 2G bands are the same for TMO and ATT.

Unlocked is just a preference thing, if you are happy with your current carrier and plan, i wouldnt worry about unlocking it until you wish to sell it.
    12-01-10 07:16 AM
    3 REASONS TO UNLOCK YOUR BLACKBERRY

SAVE MONEY - Don't let your carrier restrict you when you travel abroad. You will save $100's on roaming fees. Having an unlocked phone gives you the ability to purchase a SIM card from the destination that you are in, making it less expensive from what your carrier charges.

FREEDOM TO CHOOSE ANY CARRIER - Not happy with your current provider? You will have the choice of going with any service provider that supports your phone. In this case, using your current unlocked BlackBerry on a new provider will avoid the hassle to purchase a new handset.

INCREASE RESALE VALUE - The value of your Blackberry will be worth a lot more and be easier to sell because it is not restricted for use with only one wireless provider - anyone will be able to use it, allowing for a wider range of prospective buyers.
    amazinglygraceless likes this.
    12-01-10 12:21 PM
    INCREASE RESALE VALUE - The value of your Blackberry will be worth a lot more and be easier to sell because it is not restricted for use with only one wireless provider - anyone will be able to use it, allowing for a wider range of prospective buyers.
    This is absolutely true. I put my unlocked 9700 up on eBay and it sold for
    $425.00 in one day.
    12-01-10 12:29 PM
    Money resalke value and choice. For example I have Tmobile I was able to buy a Torch and unlock it for my use. I like the freedom of being able to choose. People always want what they are not supposed to have. Why should your provider choose what kind of phone u can have when you are paying them for the service. Again it elevates the resale value. Mobile FREEDOM!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-01-10 05:46 PM
    so if I buy a T-Mo 9780, then unlock it, will I be able to use 3G still?
    12-02-10 11:54 PM
    It depends on your carrier. As Fubaz pointed out, carriers don't all use the same 3G frequencies. So if you're in the US, an unlocked T-Mobile 9780 won't work on AT&T's 3G, but it will work on their EDGE. The same thing applies, in the other direction, to an unlocked Torch from AT&T. It won't use T-Mobile's 3G, but will only work on EDGE (2G).

So, depending on where you are in the world, you need to find out if your carrier's 3G band uses the same frequency as T-Mobile's.

Ubizmo
    12-03-10 08:52 AM
    Only on selected networks...
    12-03-10 11:47 AM
    This is absolutely true. I put my unlocked 9700 up on eBay and it sold for
    $425.00 in one day.
    That's a very good price for it. But how much did Ebay take in commission?
    12-19-10 04:49 PM
    Hi, its there, it said ...go to Unlock Blackberry Online Instantly for $5 ... and I quote "Hey dont suffer anymore, get your MEP2 Code only for $5 instantly, i did it works just fine.
    Just go to Unlock Blackberry Online Instantly for $5 there youll find the calculator to get the MEP and with the imei already in your hands, just pay by paypal and youll get your MEP2 code instantly. Ill bet youll save hours of browsing. its just $5 and get to work."

Thanks in advance
    miguel
    The BEST way to unlock your device, is obviously the cheapest way!

Call your carrier and ask for the unlock code, simple as... and it's free!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-27-10 07:46 AM
    Correct you will still be able to receive help from T-Mo, the only so called benefit of unlocking is that you may use a gsm device across any carrier. Keep in mind that you will not be able to use the 3G speeds of these networks, as for AT&T and T-Mo use different frequencies.
    So if I unlock my 9000 I will not be able to access 3G/HSDPA speeds on either network? Even with an ATT Sim?
    07-25-11 02:29 PM
    So if I unlock my 9000 I will not be able to access 3G/HSDPA speeds on either network? Even with an ATT Sim?
    you'll be stuck on edge with at&t
    07-25-11 02:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD