hey guys.

this forum has been a fantastic resource for me living jointly in norway and new zealand, as the blackberry scene is rather tiny here.

now, as you may see in the thread title I wonder, do you usually sign up for a plan in the shop, or do you do that online at home, as was the case with the first iphones (guess thats why thousands of iphones found their way to europe quite fast, and then getting unlocked/jailbraked, no contract was needed to buy the phone at discounted prices).

the reason why I want to know about this is I am going to san fran in february, and am eager to replace my worn 8320 with a 9700. would it be possible to buy it locked at either an at&t or t-mo shop, without having to sign up for the plan there and then, and then just unlock it through one of those online services? would save quite a bit of bucks, and bb prices over here (I'm in nz now) are just out of this world...

tnx for any help guys
    10-30-09 11:59 PM
    Its up to the retail store some allow you to and others don't.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-31-09 12:23 AM
    prices in nz are out of this world high or low? haha

and if you were to buy the phone from a carrier shop without a plan, they would charge you several hundred dollars for the device, no? shouldnt you be able to find one off of a 3rd party site and then unlock it? wouldnt that be more the point of the ability to unlock a phone, to save a ton of money on the device up front form a 3rd party?
    10-31-09 12:33 AM
    Some other countries still charge more outrageous compared to here in the States.
    10-31-09 12:36 AM
    in nz, a bold 9000 is about 800usd with a 24 month slave contract, and about 900-1000usd unlocked. it's quite outrageous. in norway even worse, it would be about 1200-1300usd unlocked in the single blackberry shop we have.

the easiest thing would of course be to buy it unlocked, but its soo expensive. if I could pick up the phone in a shop with the promise of signing up for a plan online when I get home, I would cheat them for the subsidy and save heaps...
    and because I jump between countries all the time, an unlocked phone is key, if not I would just sign up for a contract or something, but I only use prepay everywhere.

thanks for the help so far. I'll see if I find a shop in san fran I can just take the phone home without signing up for the plan in-shop. and still save tons'o money...
    10-31-09 01:40 AM
    Yes as long as both sim cards have a active BIS yes it will. Sometimes you just have to perform additional steps to get yourself situated.
    10-31-09 12:37 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD