What does that mean?
    11-28-09 11:27 AM
    An unlocked phone is a GSM (not CDMA) phone that can be used on any GSM
    carrier (AT&T, T-Mobile, etc).

Unlocking removes the carrier restriction, thus making it possible to use it on the
    carrier of your choice.
    11-28-09 11:42 AM
    Unlocking a phone, such as the 9550, allows it to be used on international GSM networks, or on US/Canada GSM networks using other providers' SIM cards.

Simply put, the 9550 uses CDMA network technology. Most of the rest of the world currently uses GSM network technology, as do AT&T and other US carriers. The 9550 is a "world phone", meaning it has both a CDMA and a GSM radio on board. VZW uses CDMA (which doesn't require a SIM). I've unlocked mine because I travel internationally and don't want to pay the insanely high per minute charges VZW tacks on for international use. Some people unlock just because they want to sell their phone, and unlocked phones fetch higher prices on ebay (since they can be instantly used on any GSM network.) Others unlock to use on AT&T, etc.

If you want to unlock your 9550 VZW will provide you with that service at no charge, assuming you've been a customer in good standing with them (paid on time) for more than 60 days. They reserve the right to add other conditions, but I've never had any problem getting an unlock code from them. To do so you'd call their global services department and select option 3. (800) 711-8300.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by jlsparks; 11-28-09 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Yeah, what amazinglygraceless said :P
    11-28-09 11:48 AM
    It allows you to use a GSM phone on any GSM carrier.
    11-28-09 11:52 AM
    I bought my Bold directly from AT&T, how can I tell if it is unlocked?
    11-28-09 12:08 PM
    It is not unlocked, unless they specifically tell you. ALL North American carriers do not sell devices unlocked.
    11-28-09 12:13 PM
    If you purchased it from the carrier it is almost certainly NOT unlocked.
    No US carrier will shoot themselves in the proverbial foot by selling
    unlocked devices.

Simple check: options > advanced options > SIM card > type MEPD
    If Network is enabled it is locked. Disabled means it isn't.
    11-28-09 12:16 PM
    I bought my Bold directly from AT&T, how can I tell if it is unlocked?
    Should be locked if you bought it from ATT directly, but you can always check by going to Options/Advanced Options/SIM card and then type the letters "mepd" (without the quotes). If you see Network-Active that means the phone is locked. If you see Network-Disabled, that means your Blackberry is unlocked.
    11-28-09 04:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD