Sounds like a funny question, but I was wondering if it is possible for me to somehow reverse my phone being unlocked. For example, once it is unlocked, updating the phones os, reformating, changing something , etc.. will it still remain unlocked?
    01-05-10 11:39 AM
    once it is unlocked it is unlocked and will stay unlocked, through reboots, and reformats and new OS's. You would have to litterally delete all the programming and reinstall the equivelent of the BIOS to relock it. As far as I understand anyway.
    01-05-10 12:11 PM
    what unlocking does is turn your SIM reader on and allows you to use the phone on other networks. VZW sells these phones as "world" phones, but the SIM slot (and therefore GSM) is deactivated before you buy them.

Unlocking tells the phone to start reading from the SIM, therefore allowing you to use it on GSM carriers. It turns the phone into a true "world" phone.

As for the phone relocking, it cannot be done as Falling said. This is a fairy tale that the iPhone has caused. When jailbreaking the iPhone (BlackBerry devices are already "jailbroken"), if you upgrade or update, you lose the jailbreak.

Unlocking the phone is permanent. Once you unlock it, it will stay unlocked.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-10 01:22 PM
    what exactly do you mean by unlock? unlock the phone window? or unlock as in using other sims card?
    01-05-10 01:29 PM
    what exactly do you mean by unlock? unlock the phone window? or unlock as in using other sims card?
    Unlock meaning able to use other sim cards.
    01-05-10 02:03 PM
    So i sold my Unlocked Telus storm 1 to a guy today who needed a phone for his Bell contract. He called Bell prior to the purchase, and they said it wouldnt be a problem. So he bought it from me, unlocked, and went to the local Bell store (two different ones in fact) and than he was told that Telus phones will not work on the Bell network. I think its bull****, because they are the same towers, but i am wondering if someone can confirm this crap?
    01-05-10 03:47 PM
    what unlocking does is turn your SIM reader on and allows you to use the phone on other networks. VZW sells these phones as "world" phones, but the SIM slot (and therefore GSM) is deactivated before you buy them.

Unlocking tells the phone to start reading from the SIM, therefore allowing you to use it on GSM carriers. It turns the phone into a true "world" phone.

As for the phone relocking, it cannot be done as Falling said. This is a fairy tale that the iPhone has caused. When jailbreaking the iPhone (BlackBerry devices are already "jailbroken"), if you upgrade or update, you lose the jailbreak.

Unlocking the phone is permanent. Once you unlock it, it will stay unlocked.

Not quite right. You have a SIM in your Storm already and it can be used quite easily. The SIM is from Verizon/Vodofone. This is the only SIM that will work in the phone until it is unlocked. You will need to contact Verfizon Global Services for a plan to use this card. When the phone is unlocked, you may use any other carrier's SIM as well. My Storm 1 and 2 are unlocked. I have used prepaid SIM's in Europe and I have used the Verizon SIM that came with it. The SIM reader is active without the phone being unlocked, but it will only read from the Verizon/Vodofone SIM.
    01-05-10 07:24 PM
    Sorry it can't be reversed by any conventional means.
    01-05-10 07:34 PM
    Not quite right. You have a SIM in your Storm already and it can be used quite easily. The SIM is from Verizon/Vodofone. This is the only SIM that will work in the phone until it is unlocked. You will need to contact Verfizon Global Services for a plan to use this card. When the phone is unlocked, you may use any other carrier's SIM as well. My Storm 1 and 2 are unlocked. I have used prepaid SIM's in Europe and I have used the Verizon SIM that came with it. The SIM reader is active without the phone being unlocked, but it will only read from the Verizon/Vodofone SIM.
    Unless I read something different he said the same thing you said, without adding the fact that the Verizon sim is used prior to the phone being unlocked for use with other carrier sims. So how was he not correct. And I am talking about the guy you quoted.
    01-05-10 07:36 PM
    Unless I read something different he said the same thing you said, without adding the fact that the Verizon sim is used prior to the phone being unlocked for use with other carrier sims. So how was he not correct. And I am talking about the guy you quoted.
    Not quite -
    1-
    Vodfone is GSM and is available just by calling Verizon Global. You don't have to have the phone unlocked to do this.
    2 -
    the phone does not have to be unlocked to start reading from the SIM. I have used the phone in Europe with the stock SIM from Verizon.

I may have been wrong, but to me it was implied that you have to unlock the phone to have the SIM card be used. Not quite. The SIM will be read on a GSM network, Vodfones. Just wanted to insure all is well.
    01-05-10 08:18 PM
    Moving to BB Unlocking
    01-06-10 09:01 AM
    Not quite -
    1-
    Vodfone is GSM and is available just by calling Verizon Global. You don't have to have the phone unlocked to do this.
    2 -
    the phone does not have to be unlocked to start reading from the SIM. I have used the phone in Europe with the stock SIM from Verizon.

I may have been wrong, but to me it was implied that you have to unlock the phone to have the SIM card be used. Not quite. The SIM will be read on a GSM network, Vodfones. Just wanted to insure all is well.
    To me you went way beyond the intent of the guys post. Oh well.
    01-06-10 11:53 AM
    The SIM slot is not active unless unlocked. Yes, VZW places a SIM card in their "world" phones, but it is more-or-less a space saver. You can simply take the SIM card out of a locked BB and it will not affect the way the device works. It will work regardless of having a SIM card in it or not.

What makes an unlocked phone and unlocked phone is this fact: The reverse does not apply. If you put an AT&T SIM card into a locked BB it will not start relieving AT&T (T-Mobile or any of your other favorite GSM flavors can be substituted in both places) service.

Unlocking the phone will, for all intensive purposes, turn on the SIM card slot to start reading the GSM SIM card. Again, since the VZW SIM is a dummy space saver, you can still take the thing out and you will still receive VZW service.

Taking the "SIM" card supplied from VZW is actually a fix for the Storm1 when people were getting a SIM error at bootup.

What you are talking about here is VZW's global plan. You can call Global Support and they can give you a global plan. This doesn't require you to unlock your phone, but they charge you through the a$$ to use your phone around the world.

What you mean above is that the GSM antennas are active. It still doesn't really use the SIM card, but it uses the GSM antennas when you are overseas using their global service.

Not quite -
    1-
    2 -

I'm not trying to be condescending, but you are wrong here, as per what I just said. Especially the last thing you said here.
    01-06-10 06:11 PM
    hey real newbie here- i recently switched from t-mo to boost. i had a blackberry with t-mo but was paying crazy money and didn't have any of the blackberry anything because the plan was too much. so i decided to switch to boost instead. so come to find out after i get this other phone that you can use your boost sim card in the bberry. it's a bberry 8310 originally made for at&t but was unlocked for t-mo and now i put in the boost sim card, since once unlocked always unlocked... and now it's not recognizing the network.. i dunno what to do.

under the advanced options it's still showing the old sim card id.. and when i took ya'lls advice about mepd it said disabled all down the row. tried reading through as many postings as i could to see if the question has already been answered. :]

thanks,
    jakson
    01-11-10 12:30 AM
    Boost uses iDen technology not GSM so it will not work sorry. And actually T-Mobiles bb plans are cheaper than most.

01-11-10 12:32 AM
    When you insert the unlock code. Boost uses a different network than tmobile/att
    01-11-10 12:21 PM
    I have an unlocked storm 2 9550 that I bought when I was In Canada. I live overseas and my network is a GSM network. Each time I connect it to the internet (through the DM), it tells me that a new upgrade is available: 5.0.0 system software, core applications, API Library, certificate and so on...with a long list. Till now, I am choosing Cancel. I don't want to lose my unlocked feature.

If I understood well, does updating all of the above will keep my phone unlockled??
    Thx for your confirmation.
    01-14-10 04:08 AM
    I have an unlocked storm 2 9550 that I bought when I was In Canada. I live overseas and my network is a GSM network. Each time I connect it to the internet (through the DM), it tells me that a new upgrade is available: 5.0.0 system software, core applications, API Library, certificate and so on...with a long list. Till now, I am choosing Cancel. I don't want to lose my unlocked feature.

If I understood well, does updating all of the above will keep my phone unlockled??
    Thx for your confirmation.
    Yes. Blackberry unlocking is permanent and will never revert. You can upgrade/reset your Blackberry and it will never relock.

The only way to relock a Blackberry is with special software that we have.
    01-14-10 09:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD