I'm on Bell Canada. Really, the only other major carrier here is Rogers. If I unlock my Tour, can I use Rogers as a carrier?

Thanks.
    10-01-09 12:10 PM
    Only the GSM portion is locked. CDMA carriers rely on simply refusing to activate a phone on their network if it wasn't bought from them. You can unlock the GSM portion and use the device on GSM carriers though. Also, unlocking is generally good for resale value, but obviously more so with GSM phones.
    10-01-09 12:17 PM
    Unlocking your Tour means you will be able to access GSM carriers by popping in the appropriate SIM card (granted these carriers transmit in the same frequencies the phone is capable of operating in).
    10-01-09 12:20 PM
    Okay, I just spent a good long while on the phone with Bell Mobility's Technical Solutions only to discover that Bell does not possess unlock codes; the reason being that no Bell GSM network exists inside of Canada, although according to the representative I spoke with, Bell has plans to roll one out before the 2010 Vancouver Olympics, which start in early 2010.

Until then, it appears that we Canadians are stuck with voiding our warranties by using third-party unlocking codes, something that I am certainly not willing to do.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-01-09 01:34 PM
    Hi Asperse, you will not be voiding your warranty when you unlock your phone. Just to confirm it for youn I personally have returned 4 Blackberry Bolds from Rogers over the past 2 months. Each has been unlocked the day I get it, and I've claimed the warranty on each of the units. I have yet to be told or even asked about it. Also, the phones are only checked for cracked screens, water damage, or major scratches/dents when warranty is claimed.

Using 3rd party unlockers like myself gets your phone unlocked asap, and without headache. I also guarantee my support till you are up and running

Let me know if you have any other questions

10-01-09 02:11 PM
    For help finding unlock codes for your bell phone check out my other post, it may have some useful information.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f157/tr...0/#post3695865

10-01-09 03:02 PM
    I called my provider last night to request an unlock code. They forwarded my request to the correct department and said they would be in touch with me within 8 days.
    I received my unlock code email this morning:

IMEI: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Unlock Code: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Below are the handset specific instructions for unlocking your specific model of phone. The customer only has five (5) tries to unlock the phone. If this process is unsuccessful five times in a row, the phone will be permanently locked to the AT&T network. If there are any problems with unlocking your handset, please call 1-800-331-0500 and a Customer Service Representative will be able to assist you. Once again, thank you for choosing AT&T Mobility and have a good day.

Please do not respond to this email, as you will not receive a response.
    AT&T Mobility BlackBerryBold 9000

1 Insert AT&T SIM Card.
    2 Power phone on and turn off the radio (turn Wireless Off option). Very important.
    3 Select Options then select Advanced Options.
    4 Scroll down and select Sim Card.
    5 Hold down the Left Shift key (CAP) key and type "MEPD".
    This does not display on the screen.
    6 Hold down the Left Shift key (CAP) and type "MEP2".(this will be typed in "MEP" ALT "E". (ALT "E" is 2 on the keypad) This does not display on the screen.
    7 Enter the Unlock Code.
    8 Press Enter.
    9 Reboot Device. Device is now Unlocked.
    10-01-09 03:10 PM
    I called my provider last night to request an unlock code. They forwarded my request to the correct department and said they would be in touch with me within 8 days.
    I received my unlock code email this morning:

IMEI: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Unlock Code: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Below are the handset specific instructions for unlocking your specific model of phone. The customer only has five (5) tries to unlock the phone. If this process is unsuccessful five times in a row, the phone will be permanently locked to the AT&T network. If there are any problems with unlocking your handset, please call 1-800-331-0500 and a Customer Service Representative will be able to assist you. Once again, thank you for choosing AT&T Mobility and have a good day.

Please do not respond to this email, as you will not receive a response.
    AT&T Mobility BlackBerryBold 9000

1 Insert AT&T SIM Card.
    2 Power phone on and turn off the radio (turn Wireless Off option). Very important.
    3 Select Options then select Advanced Options.
    4 Scroll down and select Sim Card.
    5 Hold down the Left Shift key (CAP) key and type "MEPD".
    This does not display on the screen.
    6 Hold down the Left Shift key (CAP) and type "MEP2".(this will be typed in "MEP" ALT "E". (ALT "E" is 2 on the keypad) This does not display on the screen.
    7 Enter the Unlock Code.
    8 Press Enter.
    9 Reboot Device. Device is now Unlocked.
    Okay, so what's the issue?
    10-01-09 06:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD