I have a 8700r from Roger's and want to use it, including BB service, with a different service provider overseas (I do not want to roam). I of course need to unlock the phone, but what exactly does this mean? I read on one site that does unlocking that although the phone is unlocked, the PIN is still registered with the original service provider, ie Roger's. Does unlocking release the PIN as well or just make the phone useable as a, well, phone only?

My phone is out of contract and has not been in use for over 1 year. Just dug it up for this specific purpose and Roger's won't give me the unlock code.

Thanks in advance!
    07-16-08 10:20 PM
    Unlocking a phone allows you to use it on a different compatible carrier. IE an att phone on tmobile.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-08 10:34 PM
    You can use different carrier's SIM cards, use a foreign SIM card for calling home when you're abroad, etc. Also, phones can sell for more if they're unlocked.
    07-17-08 07:01 AM
    Thanks for the replies. I went ahead and gave this Horizonwireless a try and they sent me my unlock code pretty fast. Successful unlock and they answered my question about the PIN so at least now I can use the bb service overseas with a different (cheaper) provider instead of roaming.
    07-17-08 12:04 PM
    What does the phone only feature do on my Blkberry 8130?
    08-24-08 03:06 PM
    allows you to use it on a different compatible carrier.
    08-30-08 09:05 AM
    ...so at least now I can use the bb service overseas with a different (cheaper) provider instead of roaming.
    Where are you going to use the unlocked BlackBerry at?
    08-31-08 11:08 AM
    What does the phone only feature do on my Blkberry 8130?
    no data connection or email just what it sounds like it makes the battery last longer when you are in a pinch and when you are roaming international it keeps people from emailing you and racking up an internation al data charge
    08-31-08 02:13 PM
    I was on the phone with at&t getting an unlock code from them. They asked me a million questions-obviously they are hesitant to give out the codes but they are obligated by law. No need to pay anyone anything extra. I just kept telling the rep to give me the unlock code. He finally got it and gave me it. Now I can use my device with SIM cards from the corresponding countries. Ahhhhhh
    09-05-08 02:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD