I had never used a cell phone except to make the occasional phone call. Now I have a Storm and want to play.

What exactly does 'Unlocking' a phone do?

01-02-09 01:35 PM
    01-02-09 01:43 PM
    [QUOTE=GodsDragon;1317443]This thread might help: ...... /QUOTE]Thanks, that explains the 'How'.

I want to know 'Why'? What's it do?
    01-02-09 02:23 PM
    from my understanding the storm has like ways of using its service. You can either Use verizon and use 3g and stuff or you can use the sim slot for countries with prepaid sims to avoid roaming.. What i dont get is why didnt they make the freq for att's 3g compatible? i live in chicago and AT&T has excellent 3g(sold my iphone 3g for storm) and now im screwed using edge..
    01-02-09 02:27 PM
    Unlocking works only on GSM phones and will not work on CDMA. Thus you can unlock the GSM part of your Storm but not the CDMA part.

Unlocking is a process whereby you remove a carrier imposed restriction to limit your choice of which SIM card you may use in your GSM phone.

GSM carriers supply a SIM card with each phone they sell on contract and the phone is locked to that particular carrier. They do this because they sell you a subsidised phoe with the contract. This means that you cannot put another carrier's SIM card into the phone and successfully make calls because the phone will just not recognise the card as valid.

For you on CDMA living in the US, the impact is roughly zero.

If you traveal outside the US then you will find that the rest of us still use GSM and since the GSM part of your phone is locked to Verizon, you will be paying through the nose for both incoming (yes) and outgoing calls.

Unlocking your phone would allow you to buy a local SIM card (with a new phone number) and make calls. If you wanted to use another US carrier from Verizon for your GSM calls withing the US then unlocking will permit that too.
    01-02-09 02:35 PM
    Thanks. Doesn't look like I bother then.
    01-02-09 02:56 PM