Does unlocking a BB simply allow it to be used on a different network? Or does it also allow for free downloads of apps/games/etc.? Thanks in advance!
    05-10-11 06:17 PM
    It allows you to use the phone on different carriers and doesnt give you free apps or anything like that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-10-11 06:26 PM
    And it only applies to GSM device (or the GSM side of world devices).

CDMA devices cannot be unlocked.
    05-10-11 06:29 PM
    Does unlocking a BB simply allow it to be used on a different network? Or does it also allow for free downloads of apps/games/etc.? Thanks in advance!
    Hi,

It's a common mistake to think that cellphone unlocking refers to making your phone cracked for free apps download, I think because of the Iphone wave many people refer "jailbreak" to unlocking and it's not the same.

Unlocking a cellphone (not only a blackberry) is simply removing the network lock from it.

When you buy a cellular device from a carrier they sell it branded to them, when you start the phone mostly you will see the carriers logo on the start-up screen and a logo print on the device it self.
    Also, if you will insert a different sim card of other network carrier your device will not get any signal because it's not unlocked.

Unlocking a blackberry (or any other cell phone) will remove that branded lock and will make this phone available for use with other GSM carriers, it means that unlocked blackberry can work with other SIM cards, also it's one-time thing, once your blackberry is unlocked you can use it with all GSM networks available on the globe - simply by using their SIM card.

Unlocking is made for switching carriers without switching devices.
    05-11-11 05:18 AM
    And it only applies to GSM device (or the GSM side of world devices).

CDMA devices cannot be unlocked.
    I know what you mean but I think you might be confusing people. I have a CDMA Bold 9650 and it is unlocked. So yes, you can unlock a CDMA phone. But, as you state, it only helps me if I wanted to use the GSM side of things (i.e., using a SIM card for another GSM network).

did I get that right?
    05-11-11 08:01 AM
    3 REASONS TO UNLOCK YOUR BLACKBERRY

SAVE MONEY - Don't let your carrier restrict you when you travel abroad. You will save $100's on roaming fees. Having an unlocked phone gives you the ability to purchase a SIM card from the destination that you are in, making it less expensive from what your carrier charges.

FREEDOM TO CHOOSE ANY CARRIER - Not happy with your current provider? You will have the choice of going with any service provider that supports your phone. In this case, using your current unlocked BlackBerry on a new provider will avoid the hassle to purchase a new handset.

INCREASE RESALE VALUE - The value of your Blackberry will be worth a lot more and be easier to sell because it is not restricted for use with only one wireless provider - anyone will be able to use it, allowing for a wider range of prospective buyers.
    05-11-11 10:11 AM
    I know what you mean but I think you might be confusing people. I have a CDMA Bold 9650 and it is unlocked. So yes, you can unlock a CDMA phone. But, as you state, it only helps me if I wanted to use the GSM side of things (i.e., using a SIM card for another GSM network).

did I get that right?
    You cannot unlock a "CDMA Bold 9650". You can unlock the GSM side of it. And then you can use the GSM side of it on a GSM carrier.
    05-11-11 11:04 AM
    You cannot unlock a "CDMA Bold 9650". You can unlock the GSM side of it. And then you can use the GSM side of it on a GSM carrier.
    Correct...
    05-11-11 11:12 AM
    Moved to BB Unlocking
    05-11-11 11:12 AM
    you can unlock it, move your data services over. raises the value if you want to sell it again. only downside is you can't get 3g on the other networks you use it on
    05-20-11 07:01 PM
    you have the freedom to switch carriers without having to buy a new phone. you can use your unlocked phone on ANY GSM network (not CDMA) in the US, Canada, and overseas. it doesn't void your warranty and it's completely legal.
    05-29-11 02:42 PM
    agreed....
    07-11-11 11:57 AM
    INCREASE RESALE VALUE - The value of your Blackberry will be worth a lot more and be easier to sell because it is not restricted for use with only one wireless provider - anyone will be able to use it, allowing for a wider range of prospective buyers.
    That right there is a huge reason. If you got a Blackberry that can be unlocked I strongly suggest doing so before you sell it. You will get more interest in the phone and ultimately a higher price when you do sell by doing so...
    07-11-11 08:05 PM
    unlocking the BB does not creates any big changes,
    however its economical as you don't have to pay the roaming charges....
    unlock your BB and use any network in any country....
    08-12-11 06:02 AM
    No it is a misconception that unlocking might open the path to downloading all sorts of apps for free. The only thing that unlocking will do for you is that it will unlock the network lock that has been put on your phone.
    10-29-11 02:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD