Is there any advantages to unlocking besides being able to move from carrier to carrier on a gsm network?
    11-28-09 12:55 PM
    If you unlock your phone, it makes the phone more valuable when it comes time to sell it. I'd say that it adds about 100 to the price. It's a very valuable feature to have.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-28-09 12:58 PM
    You can advertise the device as being unlocked if you decide to sell it. Unlocking doesn't enable any additional capabilities.

11-28-09 12:59 PM
    Thanks guys,

Didn't think there was much of an advantage to unlocking it. I doubt I'll sell my phone unless the mob makes the storm2.
    11-28-09 01:07 PM
    i got my Tour unlocked so that when i travel (to Thailand hopefully) i can use a local SIM for calling. Otherwise, i would have to pay $1.99 a mintue with VZW/Vodafone.
    11-28-09 01:08 PM
    Just carrier to carrier mobility and higher resale value
    11-28-09 01:26 PM
    Is there any advantages to unlocking besides being able to move from carrier to carrier on a gsm network?
    Other would be resale value
    11-28-09 04:03 PM
    So, say I have a blackberry tour on verizon and I unlock it, I could use it on sprints network

01-03-10 06:16 PM
    So, say I have a blackberry tour on verizon and I unlock it, I could use it on sprints network

You could, if Sprint would activate you on their network. But Sprint won't. Sprint and Verizon typically won't activate the other carrier's device on their network. CDMA phones aren't unlocked in the same sense as GSM phones.

01-03-10 06:38 PM
    I was talking to a customer about this the other day. He thought he should unlock his phone but didn't know why! lol

Its worth it for most people, but if you're going to use your phone until it becomes a paperweight and not sell it, never planning to travel outside of your home country, never planning on leaving your current network (bad move) and are essentially a hermit, then unlocking is not for you.....but if you are...EMAIL ME! lol, there are a bunch of us unlockers on here in case you ever decide that you want to unlock your phone!
    01-04-10 11:10 PM
    If I unlock my Tour and use a prepaid SIM when travelling would my data work or phone only? I'm in Canada on Bell Mobility.
    01-06-10 10:43 AM
    If you get data on the prepaid sim it would.

01-06-10 10:49 AM
    If I unlock my Tour and use a prepaid SIM when travelling would my data work or phone only? I'm in Canada on Bell Mobility.
    Phone/SMS will work with any regular prepaid SIM, if the provider offers Blackberry Data as well on prepaid then you will be able to use email/bbm/pin etc. as well
    01-06-10 11:04 AM
    There are numerous benefits in unlocking your mobile phone. Of course, network freedom is the primary reason, but add to that the money savings along with the increased value of your handset.
    01-06-10 12:46 PM
    Unlocking is great because it gives you the freedom to use any other network. This allows you to save lots of money by choosing the cheapest on the market.

Also, if you travel, an unlocked phone can use local SIM cards so you avoid the high roaming charges that many networks apply to their customers.
    01-08-10 03:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD