I see a lot of people on here asking about how to unlock a phone etc etc.. What is the reasons for unlocking a phone that you have with your carrier such as sprint etc. and what are the disadvantages.? Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-25-09 05:53 PM
    It is primarily for GSM users who decide to use an ATT phone on TMobile or vise versa!
    09-25-09 05:59 PM
    I don't think there are disadvantages to UNlocking.

The other advantage for say, Verizon/Sprint users is that we can use a local, say European, SIM card rather than the expensive rate Verizon sim card costs.
    09-25-09 06:33 PM
    Also for untenational travel. If a gsm phone is unlocked you can use prepaid sim cards and avoid international roaming charges. If you don't plan on overseas travel or changing carriers there is really no point. Although some will suggest that an unlocked phone will fetch a higher price if you plan on selling it. Cdma only phones cannot be unlocked.

09-25-09 06:37 PM
    Might add a little value for if you're trying to sell the phone too.
    09-25-09 06:59 PM
    Also for untenational travel. If a gsm phone is unlocked you can use prepaid sim cards and avoid international roaming charges. If you don't plan on overseas travel or changing carriers there is really no point. Although some will suggest that an unlocked phone will fetch a higher price if you plan on selling it. Cdma only phones cannot be unlocked.

CDMA phones can be unlocked but there's not much point. Moving carriers with them is not the easiest thing in the world.

09-25-09 07:08 PM
    Oh thanks. I didn't know that. I didn't see what the point would have been either since a different carrier must allow that device on their network. I haven't heard many people having success with that.

09-25-09 07:20 PM
    The question should be..what is the disadvantage of unlocking your phone!

Let me know if you have any questions!
    09-25-09 08:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD