Anyone have any advice on if this can be done? I've heard that att and tmobile use different 3G frequencies, thus why the Bold 9000 was only sold by att in the US.

However, the Bold 9700 is being sold by both att and tmobile. Since I've been seeing much better deals like the one here BlackBerry Bold 9700 (AT&T) | LetsTalk.com. I figure it would be cheapest to buy the att one and just unlock it.

That said, I am also afraid that I might lose UMA on tmobile and not be able to use 3G, in which case, I'm better off just getting a tmobile branded 9700. Anyone able to shed some insight? Thanks in advance.
    12-08-09 11:14 AM
    Dont do it you won't have tmobile 3G, Its gonna be 8900 with a trackpad.
    12-08-09 11:19 AM
    You're WAY better off getting a t-mo version.
    ATT's won't have UMA and will just be able to
    only run on EGDE on t-mo's side, so its pointless...
    12-08-09 11:23 AM
    You can get UMA with the AT&T version, thats software, but you will not get 3G, it won't have the 1700 mhz band. Just get it from T-Mobile if you're already going to use it on T-Mobile.
    12-08-09 12:15 PM
    You can get UMA with the AT&T version, thats software, but you will not get 3G, it won't have the 1700 mhz band. Just get it from T-Mobile if you're already going to use it on T-Mobile.
    You are wrong, ATT 9700 does not have UMA
    12-08-09 12:29 PM
    You are wrong, ATT 9700 does not have UMA
    it's enabled by the carrier, not the phone.
    12-08-09 12:34 PM
    it's enabled by the carrier, not the phone.
    I already know it's software based... but it's "currently" not supported for ATT 9700 nor ATT is planning to enable it.
    12-08-09 01:48 PM
    get the t-mobile version or you wont have 3g data speeds
    12-08-09 01:49 PM
    I already know it's software based... but it's "currently" not supported for ATT 9700 nor ATT is planning to enable it.
    you can't just "enable" it, it requires a certain infrastructure on the network which AT&T does not have, but t-mobile does. putting the phone onto a t-mobile network, with the appropriate OS, should work fine.
    12-08-09 02:57 PM
    I have a tmobile 9700 that I'd be willing to trade for an att one if you'd want to do that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-08-09 03:56 PM
    you can't just "enable" it, it requires a certain infrastructure on the network which AT&T does not have, but t-mobile does. putting the phone onto a t-mobile network, with the appropriate OS, should work fine.
    So if I have a unlocked att 9700 and I load a T-Mo O.S and switch to T Mo, I know I wont get 3g but would I get UMA??
    12-08-09 08:09 PM
    So if I have a unlocked att 9700 and I load a T-Mo O.S and switch to T Mo, I know I wont get 3g but would I get UMA??
    You will not get UMA on an unlocked ATT branded bold 9700.

There are some people who were successful in getting non tmobile curve 8900 to support UMA. But this involved time and software hacking.

To date no one has reported getting UMA working on a non-tmobile Bold 9700

Tmobile bold 9700 supports 3g bands 1,4,8
    AT&T bold 9700 supports 3g bands 1,2,5,6

this means an unlocked AT&T Bold will only get EDGE on tmobile USA network.

Both versions still get 3g overseas in Europe/Asia.
    12-08-09 08:49 PM
    i have seen a thread where someone (cant remember who at the moment) was in the escreens of a AT&T 9700 and the UMA portion of it wasnt locked out and you could input the carrier settings in to enable it or it appears you can anyways plus it showed the full spectrum of bands. I dont know if he successfully got this tested but it looked as tho it was possible.. usually the carrier locks out these portions of the escreens... just thought it was a interesting tid bit..
    12-09-09 06:07 AM
    I don't claim to be an expert, nor do i have any inside knowledge of RIM manufacturing, but i do have consumer electronics and RF device design and production experience... To me, it is extremely unlikely that a phone with the same model number would differ in HARDWARE at all... Odds are, its the same brick. These are Software Defined Radios, and as such, should be able to shift frequencies and bands (so long as the hardware is the same) based on firmware.
    Engineering screens do seem to be able to enable different bands on my 9700, but tmobile bands dont seem to be included in the list.. (but they are enabled)

I don't offer any solutions, but i would highly doubt that a solution doesnt exist--it just doesn't make much $$$ sense to limit production quantities on a mass-market phone when its possible to do this in software..
    12-09-09 07:20 AM
    thanks everyone for their input. I thought I had seen the same frequencies on both the att and tmobile version, but someone pointed out that though they have the same frequencies, they use the 3G on different frequencies, so it'll be a no go for me.
    12-10-09 11:45 AM
    I have a tmobile 9700 that I'd be willing to trade for an att one if you'd want to do that.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Do u still have that tmo 9700 ?
    12-14-09 12:51 AM
    There IS a way to enable UMA. I did this on my 8900. It was branded for Rogers and it was unlocked. I did have to go into the escreen and mess with some settings and had to do this every time I updated the OS which was a hassle but it did work. The phone DOES support UMA... the ATT network does not.

Use Any WiFi (UMA) Enabled BlackBerry on T-Mobile | Berry Reporter
    12-14-09 01:16 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD