I'm Canadian, and I bought a Nokia 1661 phone with Tmo for when I travel to the USA (Had a previous one that I lost) and now I'm back to Canada with a 1661, locked.
    I know I need to wait 3 months to get it unlocked with Tmobile, but, is there a way I can get it unlocked before the 3 months?
    08-09-09 05:49 PM
    You'd have to call T-Mobile customer care and try to convince them that you really need the phone when you head out of the country. They may or may not be able to override that rule for you. It's worth a try.
    08-09-09 06:09 PM
    Why deal with T-Mobile's rule when you can get it unlocked with a 3rd party? The fees are small (somtimes between 10-20) and the codes are often emailed instantly or very shortly.
    08-09-09 07:10 PM
    Try what I said first, if all else fails do what Artemis said.
    08-09-09 08:15 PM
    I'm Canadian, and I bought a Nokia 1661 phone with Tmo for when I travel to the USA (Had a previous one that I lost) and now I'm back to Canada with a 1661, locked.
    I know I need to wait 3 months to get it unlocked with Tmobile, but, is there a way I can get it unlocked before the 3 months?
    Might have something to do with your length of tenure as a T-Mobile customer. I never have any problem with getting unlock codes from T-Mobile.

On each of my last 3 phones, I've called within a day or two of getting the phone and asked for the unlock code. WIthout exception, I get an email within 48 hours with the unlock code. I've never had a new phone that basically wasn't unlocked within 100 hours of me getting it.

Again, might have something to do with your tenure as a customer. I've been with T-Mobile forever so they probably figure I'm not going anywhere.
    08-09-09 08:38 PM
    They want you to have been a customer for at least 90 days before unlocking phones for you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-09-09 10:23 PM
    As long as you've been a customer for 90 days, they'll unlock your phone for you.
    08-09-09 10:39 PM
    I already know about the 90 days rules, and if you read my original post correctly, I'm asking for a way to by pass it.
    08-10-09 02:42 AM
    Yes. Simply call T-Mobile CS. I had mine unlocked in less than 24 hours.

I don't know if this influenced the length of time, but I did mention that I was planning on leaving for a trip to a foreign country (did give a specific one to them) in only a few weeks and that I needed to unlock the phone so I can use a local SIM card.
    08-10-09 04:53 AM
    I already know about the 90 days rules, and if you read my original post correctly, I'm asking for a way to by pass it.
    If you would reread your original post correctly you said that you had one before. So when you mentioned that you bought another one from tmobile, i assumed that you already had your service with tmobile for more than 3 months already before you had to made another purchase.

I was simply stating the fact that you do not have to wait 90 days after you purchase a phone from tmobile but you had to wait 90 days when you start your service with tmobile.
    08-10-09 02:26 PM
    If your phone is a replacement they can override the 3 month rule. Sometimes a CSR can't but a supervisor can. Happened to me with my 8320 (had to get a few replacements and didn't have problems with the rule)
    08-10-09 07:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD