A little help please.

I just spoke to a sales rep in a Vodafone store. He said that unlocking any Blackberry is tricky and that the code they provide might not work because it has to go through Vodafone first and then Blackberry. He also said it may take up to 2 weeks? Can all this be true? Surely if Vodafone provide me with an unlock code, it should work and work a lot quicker than 2 weeks?

He also said it may invalidate the warranty/insurance on the phone if it is unlocked??

Thanks!
    11-12-09 04:10 AM
    When I worked for Voda there were tools to generate unlock codes instantly for some makes of phones, others had to be requested by email from the manufacturers, that's where the delay comes in. Often there were alternative codes supplied, if one didn't work you tried the other, and I can only guess that's for software engineering reasons.

Edit: Why the rep said unlocking invalidates the guarantee I don't know, but you must not imagine for one instant that they are highly-trained people!
    Last edited by Spiffing; 11-12-09 at 04:21 AM.
    11-12-09 04:17 AM
    When I worked for Voda there were tools to generate unlock codes instantly for some makes of phones, others had to be requested by email from the manufacturers, that's where the delay comes in. Often there were alternative codes supplied, if one didn't work you tried the other, and I can only guess that's for software engineering reasons.

Edit: Why the rep said unlocking invalidates the guarantee I don't know, but you must not imagine for one instant that they are highly-trained people!
    OK, that sounds reassuring. Just want to make sure I have everything figured out before I force my Mrs into using her upgrade for me! Although she is getting a very pretty violet coloured curve 8520 in return, ha ha!

Yeah, imagine the extent of their knowledge isn't too far reaching. I'm just hoping he remembers to give me call when they get more stock in as they are all out! He said they may get some today so fingers crossed!!

Thanks!
    11-12-09 04:26 AM
    Unlocking your phone through vodafone does not invalidate your warranty, we actually provide it free of charge to pay monthly agreements so why that would invalidate the warranty is plain dumb.

However there aren't any unlock codes for the handset just yet, tried doing a couple yday and there weren't any codes on the unlock system.

Just out of interest what store did you go to? My store had a delivery of 40 yday and 20 today so most stores should be getting them in stock now, if not over the weekend, if you are in london drop me a p'm and I'll see if I can put one aside for you for the weekend?
    11-12-09 05:19 AM
    Mr_CP - Sent you a pm. No unlock codes could mean the end of my 9700 dream!
    11-12-09 05:38 AM
    I unlocked a vodafone 9700 via cellunlock.net yesterday. Took 4 hours. Great service!
    11-12-09 06:10 AM
    I unlocked a vodafone 9700 via cellunlock.net yesterday. Took 4 hours. Great service!
    They sound like a good firm. I just pm'd them to make sure they can do a Vodafone UK 9700. Fingers crossed!!
    11-12-09 06:42 AM
    Quick question. Did you order the unlock code via Blackberry Unlock or by Vodafone Unlock?? This is probably a dumb question as the 9700 doesn't appear in the supported list under Vodafone Unlock and does under Blackberry Unlock but I just want to make sure.

Thanks.
    11-12-09 08:16 AM
    I unlocked my Bold via Vodafone and it worked fine, just request the code, wait a few days and you get clear (but fiddly) instructions... no probs
    11-12-09 09:55 AM
    I've just spoken to them and they said I should have the code ( FOC ) within 72 hours and I'm a new contract customer.

Can't really ask any more than that

Si
    11-12-09 10:01 AM
    A little help please.

I just spoke to a sales rep in a Vodafone store. He said that unlocking any Blackberry is tricky and that the code they provide might not work because it has to go through Vodafone first and then Blackberry. He also said it may take up to 2 weeks? Can all this be true? Surely if Vodafone provide me with an unlock code, it should work and work a lot quicker than 2 weeks?

He also said it may invalidate the warranty/insurance on the phone if it is unlocked??

Thanks!
    We can help you unlock your Vodafone Blackberry 9700 no problem, we have already unlocked them.
    11-12-09 11:33 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD