VM said the phone is locked by the retailer(ie radioshack, bestbuy). Is there a way I can get it unlocked, so I can activate it?
    09-06-10 05:37 PM
    What carrier are you looking to activate it on?
    Is this a Virgin Mobile 8530?

The 8530 doesn't have a SIM, it's a CDMA phone, so it can't be unlocked. It can be flashed, but mostly every carrier, except for some prepaid ones, won't accept a phone that isn't theirs.
    09-06-10 05:43 PM
    It's a Virgin Mobile phone and Im activating it on Virgin Mobile. What does it mean when they said the phone is "locked by retailer"?
    09-06-10 05:46 PM
    Didn't the store activate on Virgin Mobile when you bought it? Contact the retailer you got it from and ask them.
    09-06-10 05:52 PM
    Phone was purchased from craigslist.
    09-06-10 05:54 PM
    Nothing, it won't effect your use of the device.
    It just means that it can only be used on VM.
    09-06-10 05:55 PM
    Nothing, it won't effect your use of the device.
    It just means that it can only be used on VM.
    I already called VM to activate it, but told I must get it unlocked first by the retailer who sold the phone. Otherwise I wont be able to activate the phone.
    Last edited by bao; 09-06-10 at 06:01 PM.
    09-06-10 05:57 PM
    Not good...

Sounds to me like the phone was stolen and the store where it was stolen from put a block on the phone/IMEI/PIN so it can't be used at all.

I'd contact the seller if at all possible.

Did you check with Virgin Mobile to make sure this phone wasn't stolen before you bought it?
    09-06-10 05:59 PM
    You must have an 8520 for Virgin Mobile Canada, or something!
    You can't unlock a 8530 because it doesn't have a SIM slot plus its not GSM.

ALSO, I agree with ridesno159~
    :P
    09-06-10 05:59 PM

Did you check with Virgin Mobile to make sure this phone wasn't stolen before you bought it?
    I checked the ESN on checkesnfree.com and got "The ESN/MEID you provided is clean and not tied to another account."

You must have an 8520 for Virgin Mobile Canada, or something!
    You can't unlock a 8530 because it doesn't have a SIM slot plus its not GSM.

ALSO, I agree with ridesno159~
    :P
    Its a Virgin Mobile CDMA phone.
    09-06-10 06:05 PM
    VM said the phone is locked by the retailer(ie radioshack, bestbuy). Is there a way I can get it unlocked, so I can activate it?
    8530's do not have sim card slots therefore cannot be unlocked.
    09-06-10 10:25 PM
    I'm aware of that. Im not trying to use it with another carrier. It's a VM phone and Im trying to activate it on VM network. But the phone is "locked by the retailer" is what I was told by VM, therefore they cannot activate it. Since the phone was purchased used from a private party, BestBuy wont "unlocked" it.
    09-06-10 11:01 PM
    I'm aware of that. Im not trying to use it with another carrier. It's a VM phone and Im trying to activate it on VM network. But the phone is "locked by the retailer" is what I was told by VM, therefore they cannot activate it. Since the phone was purchased used from a private party, BestBuy wont "unlocked" it.
    Never heard of that before
    09-06-10 11:06 PM
    I think like ridesno said above, the phone was maybe stolen or for whatever reasons, BestBuy flagged the phone to prevent it from being able to activate.
    09-06-10 11:14 PM
    Where did you buy the phone from?
    09-07-10 12:10 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD