Hi there,

I never heard of this unlocking code thing before. I am just curious as to if this is a legal thing or not to get a code. Some posts say you can get it directly from the carrier but it seems you have to lie to get it so that to me means it's not legal.

Somewhere it was mentioned that if you get a code you don't have to pay your carrier to unlock the phone which I'm assuming is the activation fee I pay when I get a new phone. I take it this means you can buy a non-working phone somewhere, use the unlock code you get from somewhere and then the phone will work but you still have to call a carrier and get a service plan, correct?

Thanks,
    Deb
    07-20-09 05:51 AM
    Unlocking your Storm is 100% legal. Unlocking simply allows you to use the phone with another carrier, like ATT and T-Mobile. Also helpful for you as a VZW customer if you travel overseas and you'd like to use a GSM carrier in the country you're visiting. Unlocking provides no benefit to you as a VZW domestic user. Unlocking does not bypass VZW's blacklist....when the phone is lost or stolen--for use on VZW's network.
    Last edited by crackberryfan; 07-20-09 at 06:01 AM.
    07-20-09 05:59 AM
    Unlocking your Storm is 100% legal. Unlocking simply allows you to use the phone with another carrier, like ATT and T-Mobile. Also helpful for you as a VZW customer if you travel overseas.
    So, because I have a VZW account and a working phone, does this mean my phone is unlocked? Or is unlocking something different and in addition to the activation process?

The unlock code is not the same as the phone's PIN?
    07-20-09 06:03 AM
    So, because I have a VZW account and a working phone, does this mean my phone is unlocked? Or is unlocking something different and in addition to the activation process?

The unlock code is not the same as the phone's PIN?
    Just because you have a Verizon phone does not mean that it is unlocked. You have to call the Global Support center, i can't remember the number off the top of my head but it is listed in one of the threads).
    If you want the phone unlocked all you have to do is call that number, tell them that you are going overseas or something and they will walk you through the process of doing so. There are some stipulations, however, you must have been with Verizon (in good standing) for 60 days. That's it (pretty sure). It took me about 5 minutes to unlock my phone. My girlfriend has family in Australia so i unlocked mine for when we go there i can use a pre-paid sim card to use my Storm.

EDIT: Here is the number for Global Support, 1-888-844-0395
    Last edited by ao_wynn; 07-20-09 at 06:32 AM. Reason: found the number
    07-20-09 06:30 AM
    If it's legal, why would I have to make something up and lie to them to get the code?

Activation is not = to unlocking, ok got it.

If I want to ever switch carriers I can take my unlocked phone w/me so I don't have to pay them to unlock it, or buy a new phone in order to use that new service, right?

What is VZW's blacklist?
    07-20-09 06:42 AM
    If it's legal, why would I have to make something up and lie to them to get the code?

You don't have to make it up if you are going overseas on vacation. If you aren't there really aren't many reasons to unlock with besides the answer to the third question.

Activation is not = to unlocking, ok got it.
    Correct

If I want to ever switch carriers I can take my unlocked phone w/me so I don't have to pay them to unlock it, or buy a new phone in order to use that new service, right?
    I'm pretty sure this is right, just buy a sim card and you should be fine? Someone else with more knowledge would be better help to that question.

What is VZW's blacklist?

Anyone?

Hope this answered some of your quesitons about it, if you have any more please feel free to ask.
    07-20-09 06:46 AM
    If you want to take your unlocked phone to another carrier, there's a few steps you need to follow to get everything working. For example:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/ho...m-95xx-106023/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/ho...m-95xx-107154/

Again, you don't need to unlock your phone if you plan to use it strictly on VZW's CDMA network here in the U.S.. If you sell it, however, having it unlocked may add some value because the buyer might want to use it on ATT or T-Mobile or some other carrier.
    07-20-09 07:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD