07-01-09 03:27 PM
217 ... 6789
tools
    Actually, where I live in Northern Nevada, AT&T has better coverage. By that I mean, fewer dropped calls. You may have a point regarding the network speeds though, they could be much slower than Verizon.

My dream situation would be to keep Verizon and have access to the internal GPS.
    Teylini
    Do you have Alltel out there? I know Verizon taking over Alltel. But, if you have Alltel, check in to them. If you sign up now you could have 2 years until you have to deal with Verizon lock phones.

Also if you do switch, i would also wright a email or letter to verizon telling why your switching. I wouldn't just tell the store person, you never know if it will get passed on.
    07-23-08 06:12 AM
    I've got VZW Navigator and it won't even work. I ended up in some random bad neighborhood three hours away from where I was supposed to be because I could never get the thing to actually finish a search. I had it on the little crap LG phone I had before this Curve and it worked fine. I'd rather just use the BB GPS. Where are these petitions? I want to sign all of them.
    07-23-08 06:24 AM
    Teylini
    Do you have Alltel out there? I know Verizon taking over Alltel. But, if you have Alltel, check in to them. If you sign up now you could have 2 years until you have to deal with Verizon lock phones.

Also if you do switch, i would also wright a email or letter to verizon telling why your switching. I wouldn't just tell the store person, you never know if it will get passed on.
    Alltel offers service in Fallon, NV (east of me) but not Reno. I thought about trying to move over to them. I guess Sprint has the 8330 as well, but most people say Sprint's coverage is exceptionally bad

If I do switch, I will make sure to send an email explaining why.

I'd rather just use the BB GPS. Where are these petitions? I want to sign all of them.
    I want to sign the petitions, too.
    Last edited by teylini; 07-23-08 at 08:56 AM. Reason: added second quote
    07-23-08 08:54 AM
    ATT charges as well for Tele Nav service so i fail to see the difference when both VZW navigator and Tele Nav are both $10.
    All the petitions and class action law suits have produced no results so why bother? I have had no problems with VZW navigator.
    Last edited by douglaswilson; 07-23-08 at 09:49 AM.
    07-23-08 09:45 AM
    ATT charges as well for Tele Nav service so i fail to see the difference when both VZW navigator and Tele Nav are both $10.
    All the petitions and class action law suits have produced no results so why bother? I have had no problems with VZW navigator.
    We want the built-in GPS unlocked, so that third-party apps like Google Maps can access it, not free access to VZNavigator.

EDIT: I find it interesting to hear that AT&T leaves the BlackBerry GPS unlocked and sells the Tele Nav service for $10 a month.
    Last edited by teylini; 07-23-08 at 10:15 AM. Reason: see EDIT
    07-23-08 09:54 AM
    Bottom line:
    If you want GPS for verizon phones, buy a some cheap reciever that will do the job. That's what i use and it works just fine.

Why go to a GSM network and pay a large amount of cash for a new contract/phone, when you could just stay on a speedy, reliable 3G EVDO network buy a receiver for 40$?
    07-23-08 10:32 AM
    We all know the GPS is locked.

I have searched here and other places and have yet to find a solid answer to the the question "Will 3rd party apps be able to use the GPS if navigator is installed and you are paying $10 a month for it."

Every thread is one post saying yes and another saying no.
    07-25-08 11:44 AM
    Bottom line:
    If you want GPS for verizon phones, buy a some cheap reciever that will do the job. That's what i use and it works just fine.

Why go to a GSM network and pay a large amount of cash for a new contract/phone, when you could just stay on a speedy, reliable 3G EVDO network buy a receiver for 40$?
    Do you have a link to the $40 receiver, I am interested?
    07-25-08 11:59 AM
    I believe even if yoiu use an external gps I think you have to pat VZ tethering service? I may be wrong
    07-26-08 12:02 AM
    I believe even if yoiu use an external gps I think you have to pat VZ tethering service? I may be wrong

Don't think so......

Tethering is for PC's only...
    07-26-08 12:04 AM
    Do you have a link to the $40 receiver, I am interested?
    Bluetooth GPS - GPS Hardware

fwiw - I dont know anything about the company, but they do have a couple receivers in the 30-40ish range. They're not as small as the keychain guys, but a bit cheaper.
    07-26-08 12:45 AM
    Small the device the higher the price. this is normal now days.......
    07-26-08 12:52 AM
    I heard that verizon will be unlocking the GPS in late summer to early fall, anyone else hear anything about this
    there is an alternative to this as well. on amazon.com they have "Freedom Input Keychain GPS 2000" which you can set up on blackberry through bluetooth connection. they usually have a bundle with a 4gb memory card for your phone as well.
    07-26-08 09:25 AM

to allow a data connection through a standalone gps like the tom tom 720 or 920 -- you must pay to tether. that is a shame.

to allow a bluetooth connection to a key chain gps receiver... that is free.
    07-26-08 09:33 AM
    I wish that access to the built-in GPS was free. But since it is not, I wish that we could access it by paying a small fee. Unfortunately, we cannot. The monthly fee only allows Verizon's VZNavigator to access the GPS, not sweet programs like Google Maps.
    have you tried running VZnavigator and then opening google maps? using the gps keychain i have that works just fine. donno about the built-in gps reciver though.
    07-26-08 09:43 AM
    I can't see verizon doing this with 8830 customers. I hope they do but i just cant see it. I can see the thunder having it unlocked though to compete with the iphone2 though?
    Why wouldn't they do it for the 8830 customers? I have an 8830 and would personally love the GPS feature.
    07-28-08 10:49 AM
    have you tried running VZnavigator and then opening google maps? using the gps keychain i have that works just fine. donno about the built-in gps reciver though.
    You don't need to run VZNav to get Bluetooth GPS to work with Google Maps. Just run Google Maps and as long as your GPS options are set to the Bluetooth puck, you're good to go.
    07-28-08 11:08 AM
    I just got a curve a few days ago from Verizon and downloaded google maps today. GPS seems to be working. It asked for access to the GPS, I granted it and it pinpointed me right away. Maybe I'm misinterpreting this? Should it be doing something else?
    Big time misinterpretation on your part. Google maps was able to pinpoint you using triangulation which is accurate to anywhere from 1700-5000 meters... not very accurate at all. Depending on the area I'm in, google maps gets me to within a mile or so but that's still not very accurate especially if you have NO CLUE where you are.

If the GPS were working, it would have pinpointed you down to within a few meters. Much more accurate and much more useful.

Verizon needs to man up and unlock the GPS already.
    07-28-08 12:10 PM
    Verizon needs to man up and unlock the GPS already.
    Totally, completely, agree.
    07-28-08 12:32 PM
    I plan on calling Verizon and asking about it. I think if they hear from us all, maybe they will get the idea.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-28-08 03:10 PM
    Can you get an unlocked blackberry, somehow connect it to your verizon account and be able to use GPS?
    07-30-08 02:53 PM
    Can you get an unlocked blackberry, somehow connect it to your verizon account and be able to use GPS?
    No. Verizon does not allow other providers' Blackberries on their network at this time. And the term "unlocked" is generally relevant only to GSM phones; Verizon is a CDMA network.
    07-30-08 10:22 PM
    We all know the GPS is locked.

I have searched here and other places and have yet to find a solid answer to the the question "Will 3rd party apps be able to use the GPS if navigator is installed and you are paying $10 a month for it."

Every thread is one post saying yes and another saying no.
    Anybody? Sorry to be a newb and bump this but I still haven't found a concrete answer. Even the reps at the store contradict themselves.
    08-24-08 09:54 AM
    Someone I know said they got GPS working on a 4.5 OS Pearl but not sure.
    08-24-08 01:16 PM
    Look... if you have Verizon and a BB, do yourself a favor and just get a small keychain GPS puck and be done with it. Its much cheaper than perpetually paying $10 a month.

Brandon
    08-24-08 01:22 PM
217 ... 6789
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD