07-01-09 03:27 PM
217 ... 34567 ...
tools

Verizon does NOTHING without the intent of making money
    and neither do I in my business. I'm in it to make money not do charity work....

Be daring try it out for one day at a very low cost of $2.99... lets just say $3.00 for the money challenged folks. You'll love it seriously...

I wouldn't just say that neither, VZNav is terrific. I encourage a lot of people to buy it.
    07-11-08 03:50 PM
    Verizon spends millions to cripple phones for customer security, but somehow their phones still find a way to get hacked and spam mailed. They should take a lesson from AT&T and Cingular on how to allow GPS usage and still keep customers' information secure. I just hate how I cant use my Curve for GPS which would be clutch in many situations...
    07-11-08 03:53 PM
    and neither do I in my business. I'm in it to make money not do charity work....

Be daring try it out for one day at a very low cost of $2.99... lets just say $3.00 for the money challenged folks. You'll love it seriously...

I wouldn't just say that neither, VZNav is terrific. I encourage a lot of people to buy it.
    I have a GPS puck. I agree GPS is a great thing, I just am not willing to pay VZW 9.99 a month for it when I can do the exact same thing for free.
    Last edited by Mxkied2; 07-11-08 at 04:31 PM.
    07-11-08 04:06 PM
    Suppose VZW were to offer a product or service that would unlock the Curve's GPS capabilities. Yes, I know, it's called "VZ Navigator"... but suppose you didn't want VZ Navigator, and you could pay VZW some amount, say $50, for them to unlock your GPS hardware, so that you could use whatever other software on it that you wanted.

Would you do it?

Of course, you can get into the discussion about why you'd have to pay for the GPS hardware twice (once when buying the Curve, and once for VZW to unlock the hardware) and I agree, that doesn't sound very palatable. So, putting that aside for the sake of discussion, would you do it?

For me, as long as the price is roughly equivalent to a GPS puck, yes, I sure would.
    07-11-08 04:07 PM
    Maybe, I really have a tough time with buying stuff twice. . . . but I would be open to considering it if it was a one time charge.

It still rubs me the wrong way. . . . but anything is better than a monthly fee.
    Last edited by Mxkied2; 07-11-08 at 04:36 PM.
    07-11-08 04:30 PM
    I have a GPS puck. I agree GPS is a great thing, I just am not willing to pay VZW 9.99 a month for it when I can do the exact same thing for free.
    I've got a puck, too, a GlobalSat BT338. Not the smallest, but still fairly small.

Since I travel a lot, it's worth $10 a month to me to leave the puck and its charger at home and travel just that much lighter.

There's always a chance that I'll drop off a rental car and leave the puck on the dashboard.

Not much chance that I'll forget my Blackberry, though
    07-11-08 06:51 PM
    The GPS signal is free but the receivers, software and maps are not. Not only that, you are not receiving a GPS signal since your GPS data comes over Verizon's network. If you were receiving a true GPS signal then Verizon would not be able to block it.
    It does receive "true" GPS and won't work without it. If you don't have enough sky, you don't have location info.

It isn't difficult at all to block everything but their proprietary app from using it, though I'm surprised someone hasn't cracked it yet.

Everything else comes from their network but position info is straight GPS.
    07-13-08 04:28 AM
    Suppose VZW were to offer a product or service that would unlock the Curve's GPS capabilities. Yes, I know, it's called "VZ Navigator"... but suppose you didn't want VZ Navigator, and you could pay VZW some amount, say $50, for them to unlock your GPS hardware, so that you could use whatever other software on it that you wanted.

Would you do it?

Of course, you can get into the discussion about why you'd have to pay for the GPS hardware twice (once when buying the Curve, and once for VZW to unlock the hardware) and I agree, that doesn't sound very palatable. So, putting that aside for the sake of discussion, would you do it?

For me, as long as the price is roughly equivalent to a GPS puck, yes, I sure would.
    I wouldn't. If they sell devices that let you run third-party applications, they should allow them to access ALL of the hardware features. ATT manages to survive with their own nav software freely competing with third-party nav software so why can't Verizon?

And it's not just nav software, the GPS receiver is locked out for any position-aware software that they don't offer an alternative for. Sure, we're all free to use a different carrier to use those apps (and many people do) so besides engaging in blatant anti-trust they're kind of shooting themselves in the foot with this.
    07-13-08 05:07 AM
    I'm going from what i heard through my IT guy at work who deals with Verizon. We were talking at the game this weekend about how Verizon taking over AllTel. I told him "I'm glad i just signed a new 2 year contract with Alltell due to Verizon locking up there Phone GPS" He told me this will no longer be true. I kinda trust him since he's a computer geek on he works a lot with Verizon
    07-15-08 06:58 PM
    I'm going from what i heard through my IT guy at work who deals with Verizon. We were talking at the game this weekend about how Verizon taking over AllTel. I told him "I'm glad i just signed a new 2 year contract with Alltell due to Verizon locking up there Phone GPS" He told me this will no longer be true. I kinda trust him since he's a computer geek on he works a lot with Verizon
    he's smoking crack......unless the vendor offers it to Verizon free (no way) it's not going to happen.
    07-15-08 07:16 PM
    he's smoking crack......unless the vendor offers it to Verizon free (no way) it's not going to happen.
    Let me clarify myself. I meant that there going to unlock to where for example - If you have BB maps you'll be able to use GPS on it.
    07-15-08 07:21 PM
    touche! well put!
    07-15-08 07:44 PM
    In response to the VZN GPS issue, I would like to see if this is a generalized solution OR just a one-time event. This requires a user to have VZ Navigator working, (and the associated monthly cost,) BUT this seems to be a good way to unlock the potential of a VZ BB device for those apps that US GPS.

One of our users gave us the following information on how to get GolfTraxx (and potentially any GPS enabled) application to work on a VZN phone even though VZN doesn't technically give us poor third party developers the data feed.

From the user...
    Steps:
    1. Turn on the VZ Navigator program.
    2. Click on 'maps', then click on 'follow me maps'.
    (This activates the GPS capability of the VZW Blackberry device)
    3. Leaving VZ Navigator running, open the GolfTraxx program and enter the appropriate golf course info.

I downloaded Golftraxx to experiment and viola! it works! One will use more battery power running both programs concurrently, but as long as you battery is full prior to starting, one should not run empty in a normal 18 hole round.

In the follow-up call, he said that on the golf course the BB was clicking off yards step by step. SO, 1 there are good GPS chip(s) in those devices and they do have the capability for <3y accuracy! Woo Hoo!
    07-15-08 09:31 PM
    Let me clarify myself. I meant that there going to unlock to where for example - If you have BB maps you'll be able to use GPS on it.
    I just fired up my BB maps and they do work now that I have VZ Nav installed.
    07-16-08 06:17 AM
    So if i understand correctly. You have to have VZ Nav installed and paying fee in order to get other GPS programs to work? If you for example, pay a 1 month fee, get VZ Nav going, remove it and cancel your prescription. Will your GPS still work if you use BB maps for example?
    07-16-08 07:09 AM
    Wait a sec... when I got my RAZR, there was a 3 month or so trial period for VZNavigator, so I tried it out. I had to download it to my phone, and it's still there, although I don't use it now because I didn't subscribe when the trial ran out.

Are you all saying that all I have to do on a BB is download VZN and install it, and that by itself unlocks the GPS? Or, do I actually have to be RUNNING VZN for the GPS to be unlocked (which I think is the more probable case)? And when I close VZN, the GPS would then be relocked?
    07-16-08 10:52 AM
    I'm pretty sure it has to be running for you to use the GPS with other apps, but I don't have VZNav, so I'm not sure...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-16-08 10:59 AM
    Wait a sec... when I got my RAZR, there was a 3 month or so trial period for VZNavigator, so I tried it out. I had to download it to my phone, and it's still there, although I don't use it now because I didn't subscribe when the trial ran out.

Are you all saying that all I have to do on a BB is download VZN and install it, and that by itself unlocks the GPS? Or, do I actually have to be RUNNING VZN for the GPS to be unlocked (which I think is the more probable case)? And when I close VZN, the GPS would then be relocked?
    So if i understand correctly. You have to have VZ Nav installed and paying fee in order to get other GPS programs to work? If you for example, pay a 1 month fee, get VZ Nav going, remove it and cancel your prescription. Will your GPS still work if you use BB maps for example?
    No. Once you stop paying for the VZNav service, your GPS will once again be "locked," if that is how you want to think of it. You will be unable to use this service after cancelling.
    07-16-08 10:59 AM
    No. Once you stop paying for the VZNav service, your GPS will once again be "locked," if that is how you want to think of it. You will be unable to use this service after cancelling.
    Thats sure sucks. Like with my phone through AllTel. All i had to do is load Tellnav to unlock my GPS, I never even turned on the program. I also removed the program off my phone.

I'm wondering, I'm no phone expert but, If a program unlocks your internal GPS. How does it re-lock after you cancel your prescription or remove the program? Does Verizon have a way to get in your phone and re-lock it? Or does the program have a scrip to re-lock it?

Like I've said in some other post about this, maybe even this one. I'm glad i resigned a 2 year contract now. If in 2 years when my contract comes up for renewal, or verzion breaks them when they take over AllTel, phones are still all locked up. I'll be looking around before i resign with them.
    07-16-08 12:34 PM
    Is this wishful thinking or a pipe dream? The engineering they have to do to keep their product going can't possibly cost what they make on their product.
    80 million subscribers. Let's assume they upsell 10% at $10/month, that would be $80M per month, or about a cool billion $$ per year. You can hire a thousand engineers to maintain it and still make money.

The problem is when you start losing customers due to price or missing features. That's what expensive.

It seems they have done the math - and sucks to customers.
    07-16-08 05:04 PM
    One other thing thats great about VZNAV........I experimented with it and put options to pedestrian, typed in a destination and ran/walked it..... it actually keeps track of how damn fast you walk or run. I'm a sucker for stuff like that...

I love the VZNav.........
    07-16-08 05:25 PM
    Clarification - Basically if you have the VZ Nav working, the GPS signal is unlocked. Once you cancel, that goes away. What this does though is open up the possibility of using GPS based apps on a VZ phone. Whereas prior it seems that NO third party aps could work on a VZ BB. Yep, it $ucks that VZ requires an extra $10 to get what should be a free data stream (at least in the US where the taxpayers paid for the GPS system.) And that is why we use ATT as our development units.
    07-17-08 12:40 AM
    does VZNav work when you dont have a cell signal? I know it should be working on the interal GPS. But does the actual program need to be called up via cell towers?
    07-17-08 01:55 AM
    does VZNav work when you dont have a cell signal? I know it should be working on the interal GPS. But does the actual program need to be called up via cell towers?
    VZNav requests map data almost continuously over the data connection. It really can't work without EVDO access.
    07-17-08 11:59 AM
    you guys are missing a big chunk of the boat with vznav. i have a tomtom...but roads are constantly changing. you have to update your maps ever year. if you factor that in, you are paying tomtom $8 a month to stay current...but you are only updated once a year. vznav updates in real time, right?

also, you pay extra for all the tomtom plus services...like finding the lowest gas, weather updates, movie times, etc.

when you factor that in vznav may be cheaper. has anyone tried both? how accurate is vznav?
    07-17-08 12:16 PM
217 ... 34567 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD