07-01-09 02:27 PM
217 12345 ...
tools
    No, VZW locks GPS. When it pinpoints you, does it say something like accurate within 1700 meters? If so, it is using cell phone towers to pinpoint you and not true GPS.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-08 02:40 PM
    No, VZW locks GPS. When it pinpoints you, does it say something like accurate within 1700 meters? If so, it is using cell phone towers to pinpoint you and not true GPS.

Thanks for the reply. It does say that. It also switches from one in South Brooklyn to one by JFK depending on where I am in the house. (I'm exactly between the two towers.) Makes sense now, I was thinking "whoa..did they ef up on this?"
    07-06-08 02:44 PM
    That woulf be nice.

07-06-08 02:45 PM
    I just wish that 3rd party apps like where could access the gps info, so weather, gasbuddy, and buddy beacon, would work without constantly updating (manually) my location. If I leased the BB from Verizon, fine they can limit me. But I purchased a phone with native capabilities. irritating.......
    totally agree .. and with all the geo-tagging of pictures and mobile blogging going .. it almost makes me as mad ... as having a beautiful 2.0 mp camera and video-recorder and NOT being able send MMS messages .. hence why i left sprint after a week.
    07-07-08 06:09 AM
    There's a really awesome 3rd party geocaching program called Geocache Navigator that I would be able to use if Verizon hadn't crippled the GPS on my BB. Since the GPS is crippled, when I go geocaching, I carry my BB with the cache info AND a separate GPS handheld. It would be so nice to only have to carry one device when out walking in the woods.
    07-07-08 09:56 AM
    Kind of like buying a car with OnStar on it, should you expect to get it free just because it is in the car?
    To be honest, I think thats a horrible analogy.

Lets fix it.

"Kind of like buying a car with four windows on it, should you expect all four to roll down just because they're in the car?"

There we go.

I could not find anywhere, where VZW promoted the VZW as a fee service on the phones they sell.
    You wouldn't either if you were making this much money. But thats exactly what they are. A service provider who sells phones. If they control our perspective, it helps them make money easier.

Brandon

Brandon
    07-07-08 02:20 PM
    To be honest, I think thats a horrible analogy.

Lets fix it.

"Kind of like buying a car with four windows on it, should you expect all four to roll down just because they're in the car?"

There we go.
    Tried rolling down the windshield lately? Now who's got the horrible analogy?

You wouldn't either if you were making this much money. But thats exactly what they are. A service provider who sells phones. If they control our perspective, it helps them make money easier.

Brandon

Brandon
    And as I've said before, if you don't like it, vote with your wallet. I think the fact that VZW makes their customers pay for this little GPS luxury is one of the reasons that they can offer such excellent network coverage and customer service.
    07-07-08 02:31 PM
    Unlocking the GPS makes it functional. Right now, the only way to get true GPS on a verizon phone is to either subscribe to VZNavigator, or use an external GPS reciever. Personally, I use a freedom 2000 gps keychain with mine!

jen
    AH-HA! I was wondering if that would work. I wouldn't mind at all to get a puck if I can get a puck and use Google Maps or whatnot. I may do that. Sucks we have to buy something extra, but if it will work, then I'll be happy paying a bit more.

Brandon
    07-07-08 02:43 PM
    Tried rolling down the windshield lately? Now who's got the horrible analogy?

And as I've said before, if you don't like it, vote with your wallet. I think the fact that VZW makes their customers pay for this little GPS luxury is one of the reasons that they can offer such excellent network coverage and customer service.
    lol Fair enough on the first point. And I shall on the second.

I've thought about switching from Verizon, mainly because of the GPS thing. It drives me crazy. But I've had absolutely no problems whatsoever using them PLUS most of my family and friends are on Verizon, so Verizon it is for me.

Brandon
    07-07-08 02:46 PM
    AH-HA! I was wondering if that would work. I wouldn't mind at all to get a puck if I can get a puck and use Google Maps or whatnot. I may do that. Sucks we have to buy something extra, but if it will work, then I'll be happy paying a bit more.

Brandon
    I'm thinking the same thing. I was looking today and Amazon has a pretty good price on the puck mentioned.
    07-07-08 04:57 PM
    Forget Amazon, get it here on Crackberry!

Brandon
    07-07-08 05:07 PM
    Forget Amazon, get it here on Crackberry!

Brandon
    Also a viable option
    07-07-08 05:08 PM
    If they do it at all it is because they were forced by market pressures and it may have been part of the deal to acquire the new wireless spectrum that they won. VZNav is not very good compared to telenav. They do not have any real reason for doing other than the fact that they can. I understand the desire to monetize the feature, but they are the only ones that do it. They have probably lost money by locking out the gps by causing customers to leave them.
    07-08-08 12:10 AM
    I used to have vznav. They still don't unlock the gps for all apps, even with vznav subscription. This impacts all location based apps. Not all location based apps are for driving directions or maps.
    07-08-08 12:20 AM
    I know people who were left verizon for stuff like that and locking down of phones. They were tech people but still customers who peaced out to att.

07-08-08 12:31 AM
    It makes it where no more of these kinds of threads will be opened.
    Amen!
    07-08-08 12:45 AM
    There's a really awesome 3rd party geocaching program called Geocache Navigator that I would be able to use if Verizon hadn't crippled the GPS on my BB. Since the GPS is crippled, when I go geocaching, I carry my BB with the cache info AND a separate GPS handheld. It would be so nice to only have to carry one device when out walking in the woods.
    There's a posting on blackberry forums @ pinstak saying they were testing it and feasability of their network handling it, good so far, could be opened this summer....I would post the link, but someone who moderates this site thinks that you would need 10 posts to be able to post a link...what gives??? Does anyone know if US Cellular 8330's are opened...believe they are, but not sure. Would be giving up $100 credit if swapped from Verizon, but their coverage sucks where trees and rural areas that I live in are concerned.
    Gunsmoke
    07-08-08 08:03 PM
    can someone answer this for me? I have verizon and i have an 8830, blackberry maps does something but what? it can produce a map of an address for me- is that it? where does it get this information? thanks.
    07-08-08 08:45 PM
    OMG it also gave me directions from houston to lansing, MI- is it using vz nav or is something else behind this?
    07-08-08 08:50 PM
    I think it may be like using Google Maps or something on the comp. It'll give you directions how to get there, but won't follow along with you so to speak, and give you turn by turn directions like a GPS unit would.

Thats just my observation, though. I'm not 100% positive.

Brandon
    07-08-08 08:59 PM
    can someone answer this for me? I have verizon and i have an 8830, blackberry maps does something but what? it can produce a map of an address for me- is that it? where does it get this information? thanks.
    It has the maps already stored in the BB. The GPS, which is disabled in our Verizon BB's, will pinpoint your location. Download google maps for BB. It will pinpoint somewhat close to where you using cell towers.

07-08-08 09:01 PM
    I see a lot of people fighting this issue as well as defend it. I actually pay the $10/m for this service despite my complete dissatisfaction with it.

I think my real problem is like many others, I feel if the device is capable of it, I should be able to use it the way I want to. It bothers me that I pay $10 more a month directly to Verizon for substandard software because it will not allow me the freedom to use something else.

VZ Navigator is a joke. I used Telenav on T-Mobile and it worked like a charm, it was quick, effective and never got me lost in the insane amount of driving I do. However, with VZ Navigator, it is slow to load up. About 1/3 times I do try to use it, it doesn't work and requires me to do a soft reset on the device, which takes a good 5 minutes to reboot. In addition, I live on Long Island in New York, if I get anywhere close to the water, I lose service as well as my GPS. It's just unreliable and complete substandard compared to other options available. If I wasn't stuck with Verizon because of my employer, I'd be out in a heart beat and back on T-Mobile. It's almost worth finding a new job over.
    07-08-08 09:20 PM
    The issue about this that really gets me is GPS is a government funded public good.
    The GPS website states on the front page, with my own emphasis added:
    GPS "is a U.S. space-based radionavigation system that provides reliable positioning, navigation, and timing services to civilian users on a continuous worldwide basis -- freely available to all. For anyone with a GPS receiver, the system will provide location and time. GPS provides accurate location and time information for an unlimited number of people in all weather, day and night, anywhere in the world."

Even GW Bush said in 2004:
    The United States Government shall... Provide on a continuous, worldwide basis civil space-based positioning, navigation, and timing services free of direct user fees for civil, commercial, and scientific uses and for homeland security through the Global Positioning System and its augmentations, and provide open, free access to information necessary to develop and build equipment to use these services.

Or to put it plainly... our phones have a GPS receiver so therefore we should be able to access this public resource for FREE! I view it as a big slap in the face to us Verizon customers. The VZW Nav program isn't even technically GPS. It just really irks me.
    07-08-08 09:47 PM
    It just really irks me.
    This irks me too. You have some good points there too Didimus. I'm dropping a line over to consumerist.com to see if they'll pick up the story.
    07-08-08 10:09 PM
    I see a lot of people fighting this issue as well as defend it. I actually pay the $10/m for this service despite my complete dissatisfaction with it.

I think my real problem is like many others, I feel if the device is capable of it, I should be able to use it the way I want to. It bothers me that I pay $10 more a month directly to Verizon for substandard software because it will not allow me the freedom to use something else.

VZ Navigator is a joke. I used Telenav on T-Mobile and it worked like a charm, it was quick, effective and never got me lost in the insane amount of driving I do. However, with VZ Navigator, it is slow to load up. About 1/3 times I do try to use it, it doesn't work and requires me to do a soft reset on the device, which takes a good 5 minutes to reboot. In addition, I live on Long Island in New York, if I get anywhere close to the water, I lose service as well as my GPS. It's just unreliable and complete substandard compared to other options available. If I wasn't stuck with Verizon because of my employer, I'd be out in a heart beat and back on T-Mobile. It's almost worth finding a new job over.
    VZ Navigator rocks dude.....it's not slow in loading and works EVERYTIME I use it. Never had one problem with it. VERY RELIABLE and ALWAYS accurate tells you the actual speed your driving as well (yeah I kinda like that) It's like having a speedometer on your phone...... Get a new job to change your phone service? Come on..lay off the crackpipe. Pay for your own phone get what you want and stop the damn whining already. I'm sure your employer is not holding a gun to your head FORCING you to use their phone and carrier. Your that dissatisfied GET YOUR OWN PHONE. Problem solved.............

Not to mention your still paying $10.00/month for something your completely dissatisfied with you. Your not right brother............
    Last edited by Castor Troy; 07-08-08 at 10:36 PM.
    07-08-08 10:32 PM
217 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD