07-01-09 02:27 PM
217 1234 ...
tools
    Is the GPS something that verizon could unlock remotely? because they would never do it if it required more work to unlock on their part.

Also this rumor might just mean that it will be unlocked in future releases
    07-01-08 05:13 PM
    Can you put Google Maps on a VZW phone with GPS enabled?? Why not just use that instead of there VZNav that probably doesn't work most of the time anyways.

I use Google Maps and it works and functions just fine IMO but then again my phone isn't GPS enabled anyways but it still does a good job of getting me home.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-08 08:06 PM
    You can use it on a Verizon phone, but not with GPS. Only the triangulation thing.

I heard a rumor once that if you open up VZ Navigator first and then opened up Google Maps at the same time, Google Maps would have access to use GPS, but I'm not 100% sure if thats true or not. I can't remember where I read it.

Brandon
    07-01-08 08:37 PM
    I heard a rumor once that if you open up VZ Navigator first and then opened up Google Maps at the same time, Google Maps would have access to use GPS, but I'm not 100% sure if thats true or not. I can't remember where I read it.

Brandon
    Didn't work that way on mine. Vznav was activated and on, I started Google maps. It asked to use the GPS. It never did that before and I got excited. Too bad nothing changed. Google maps could only triangulate. I dumped VZnav. Not paying $10 per month for it when google maps does pretty well for free.
    07-01-08 08:52 PM
    Good to know.

Yep... if I should get a blackberry, google maps will be the way I go for sure. If you think about it, at $10 a month for a 2 year contract, you can just buy a new one at $240 and be spending the same amount of money. If I'm not mistaken, $240 will buy a pretty decent GPS unit.

Brandon
    07-01-08 08:54 PM
    Good to know.

Yep... if I should get a blackberry, google maps will be the way I go for sure. If you think about it, at $10 a month for a 2 year contract, you can just buy a new one at $240 and be spending the same amount of money. If I'm not mistaken, $240 will buy a pretty decent GPS unit.

Brandon
    I agree. With the recent drop in GPS unit prices, this is something Verizon will have to contend with. If they want to still make it practical to subscribe to VZnavigator, they need to drop the fee to $4 or $5 a month in my opinion. I don't think I'd subscribe at that price either though.
    07-03-08 10:17 AM
    I just wish that 3rd party apps like where could access the gps info, so weather, gasbuddy, and buddy beacon, would work without constantly updating (manually) my location. If I leased the BB from Verizon, fine they can limit me. But I purchased a phone with native capabilities. irritating.......
    07-04-08 10:05 AM
    I agree I can not stand the fact that they disabled something that comes with the phone.
    07-05-08 11:29 AM
    Boy I would love to have gps and buddy beacon and all that stuff to work! What a dream...to get our BBs to function as originally designed

07-05-08 12:17 PM
    I just got a curve a few days ago from Verizon and downloaded google maps today. GPS seems to be working. It asked for access to the GPS, I granted it and it pinpointed me right away. Maybe I'm misinterpreting this? Should it be doing something else?
    07-05-08 05:22 PM
    I wouldn't hold your breath on this one. VZW makes a pretty penny on monthly subscriptions, and until people stop downloading it, and using it on all of our handsets, you'll be billed for it.
    As far as it being "iffy", it's because you have to be in an All digital, or EVDO coverage area to use the feature.
    07-05-08 05:50 PM
    Yeah I can't imagine verizon letting go of such a good cash cow like vz nav but if maintaining the service is so hard then perhaps we will get lucky

07-05-08 06:07 PM
    I wouldn't hold your breath on this one. VZW makes a pretty penny on monthly subscriptions, and until people stop downloading it, and using it on all of our handsets, you'll be billed for it.
    As far as it being "iffy", it's because you have to be in an All digital, or EVDO coverage area to use the feature.
    That's funny, I thought that once a customer buys a phone it becomes theirs... not the carriers. Am I the only one that wishes US carriers would stop selling sub'd phones so that they will loose their rights to cripple features. Better yet, how about passing legislation that would keep carriers from crippling features if we don't sub the phone when we buy it.

Pay Retail and get everything that the manufacturer put in it. How about that Verizon employee?
    07-05-08 06:09 PM
    That's funny, I thought that once a customer buys a phone it becomes theirs... not the carriers. Am I the only one that wishes US carriers would stop selling sub'd phones so that they will loose their rights to cripple features. Better yet, how about passing legislation that would keep carriers from crippling features if we don't sub the phone when we buy it.

Pay Retail and get everything that the manufacturer put in it. How about that Verizon employee?
    Just because I'm an employee, doesn't mean I advocate everything we do. If it were up to me, you'd be able to use the device the way it came from the manufacturer, the way it was intended.
    I use a Curve, and I have to, like you, pay $9.99 for the VZnavigator. It's all about economics, and as long as people are going to pay for it, we'll charge for it.
    07-05-08 06:27 PM
    But as a customer I have used it and was not really impressed with the service. Used it on a BB and a dumb phone with really mixed results. As an indirect agent it has been hard to sell the service with the experience I have had with it.

I'm sure many people are happy with vz nav but then when you find out your 8830 was originally designed to do gps without using vz nav, people get a little mad at Big Red

07-05-08 06:52 PM
    There are more things in life to worry about then VZ Nav being $10.00 a month. I pay for it, use it, and love it. If VZW would, give it to me for free some day, then that is an extra $120 a year in my pocket, if not then that is an extra $120 in VZW pocket. Life is to short, and I cannot take my money with me when I leave this earth.

Kind of like buying a car with OnStar on it, should you expect to get it free just because it is in the car?

I could not find anywhere, where VZW promoted the VZW as a fee service on the phones they sell.
    07-05-08 07:09 PM
    I can see VZW wanting to make money, but can't they make the money off of their software instead of crippling the gps feature. We all know that there are a lot of people out there that would just pay to have that software. They could just have people pay if they wanted and for people that didn't want to use that software pick whatever they wanted. I have seen and played with VZNav and I think people that don't want to be bothered with all of the ins and outs of maps and stuff would just pay for the software.
    07-05-08 07:27 PM
    What does unlocking GPS do?

07-05-08 07:35 PM
    Unlocking the GPS makes it functional. Right now, the only way to get true GPS on a verizon phone is to either subscribe to VZNavigator, or use an external GPS reciever. Personally, I use a freedom 2000 gps keychain with mine!

jen
    07-05-08 07:38 PM
    I have VZNav.

07-05-08 07:44 PM
    This what scares me if Verizon takes over AllTel. What's Verizon going to do, disabled all the new phones for AllTel customers? On my new BB I'm able to use BB maps with GPS and not pay a extra $10 a month for TelNev. I used BB maps on our trip to Makinaw bridge this 4th of July And love it.
    07-05-08 08:20 PM
    I think I would have been much happier if Alltel had picked up Verizon (I like how they run the biz). Yeah but that was never gonna happen

07-05-08 08:36 PM
    What does unlocking GPS do?

It makes it where no more of these kinds of threads will be opened.
    07-05-08 09:50 PM
    Sorry if this has been covered already... but how does the GPS in the Curve compare to power of a puck? I thought that pucks were generally more powerful than the native BB GPS. Is that right?
    07-06-08 08:45 AM
    I just got a curve a few days ago from Verizon and downloaded google maps today. GPS seems to be working. It asked for access to the GPS, I granted it and it pinpointed me right away. Maybe I'm misinterpreting this? Should it be doing something else?
    Bump...Is this normal for a Verizon BB?
    07-06-08 02:35 PM
217 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD