07-01-09 03:27 PM
217 123 ...
tools
    I heard that verizon will be unlocking the GPS in late summer to early fall, anyone else hear anything about this
    06-26-08 11:22 PM
    Haven't heard about that maybe all the petitions are working.
    06-26-08 11:42 PM
    I haven't heard that either. Where did you hear this? I don't have a great need for GPS, but I'll certainly download a GPS service if its now free...
    06-26-08 11:50 PM
    I can't see verizon doing this with 8830 customers. I hope they do but i just cant see it. I can see the thunder having it unlocked though to compete with the iphone2 though?
    06-27-08 04:18 AM
    Yeah. I agree w the above post, if they do it it's just for competition purposes. I could care less about gps but alot of ppl do so the competition statement makes sense.
    06-27-08 07:49 AM
    If they are going to unlock it, the time to do so would be with the release of OS 4.5.

Here's to hoping VZW does the right thing by their customers...
    06-27-08 02:40 PM
    Ya verizon better get on this before I get cranky from my lack of free GPS =P

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-27-08 02:51 PM
    I would rather have WiFi instead of GPS. You can't see the screen while driving anyway. I wish they had that option with the Pearl like the GSM phones do.
    06-27-08 05:06 PM
    This is a pipe dream. Verizon makes a killing on the feature accessorizing on all of their phones. And their BlackBerry users are a larger margin group. They might consider a discount VZNav for BBs but that's about it.

With that said I bloody hate this Verizon characteristic.
    06-27-08 08:30 PM
    Would be great if it's true. I don't know how much I would use it, but it would be nice to have.
    06-27-08 08:46 PM
    Out of curiosity since I'm an Alltel user and were getting bought by vzw, what other functionalities on BB do they lock or charge for that most other companies offer standard?

06-27-08 10:38 PM
    I saw it on another blackberry forum, i was searching for something about gps and came across it
    06-28-08 11:30 AM
    I've heard the same rumor, though I'm not sure of the time frame. Supposedly, VZ Navigator is getting too difficult for Verizon to maintain so there has been talk of unlocking BB GPS.
    I was at a VZW store today and I was fooling around with a Pearl with VZ Nav installed. It wouldn't even load. The hourglass just spun around until I left about 15 minutes later. Seems like trouble to me!
    06-28-08 06:14 PM
    I was at a VZW store today and I was fooling around with a Pearl with VZ Nav installed. It wouldn't even load. The hourglass just spun around until I left about 15 minutes later. Seems like trouble to me!
    I've heard about BB VZNav being unreliable at best. So I guess y'all are onto something, maybe it's not worth their trouble versus the number of subscribers and the bad press / customer complaints they get.

I still think VZW will milk anything they can until it utterly destroys their customer's soul though.
    06-28-08 06:31 PM
    I seriously doubt its true, but I can't help but hope it is.

I don't think anyone has any solid dirt on this rumor, though. Seems to be completely a rumor so far.

Brandon
    06-28-08 08:54 PM
    It might actually be cheaper to unlock than to spend money to operate,i think now is a go time for VZW to do that because of the comp having it unlocked right out the box.
    06-28-08 11:15 PM
    anytime we can have something unlocked is a GOOD thing!

Come on verizon throw us BB users a darn bone!!! sheesh!
    06-28-08 11:22 PM
    Downloaded 4.5 on verizon 8830 and notice new under GPS. Show device GPS Source.
    06-29-08 09:37 PM
    Downloaded 4.5 on verizon 8830 and notice new under GPS. Show device GPS Source.
    Still false alarms. Nothing new here yet. Unfortunately.
    06-29-08 09:49 PM
    I think Verizon makes way too much money on VZnav subscriptions to ever unlock GPS. Hopefully I'm wrong though.

06-29-08 09:53 PM
    Verizon wireless doing something "nice" for its customers, even if it means them losing a potential profit........

Excuse me for a moment. My sides hurt.

06-29-08 10:02 PM
    Verizon wireless doing something "nice" for its customers, even if it means them losing a potential profit........

Excuse me for a moment. My sides hurt.

~~~off topic~~~ sorry~~SUE ME~Hello Jenay~
    06-29-08 10:10 PM
    ~~~off topic~~~ sorry~~SUE ME~Hello Jenay~
    Hope you have a lawyer.

Hey jas!

06-29-08 10:12 PM
    I heard that verizon will be unlocking the GPS in late summer to early fall, anyone else hear anything about this
    Is this wishful thinking or a pipe dream? The engineering they have to do to keep their product going can't possibly cost what they make on their product.

Wish it were true, but kind of doubt it...
    06-29-08 10:35 PM
    I have been trialing Navigator for about three weeks. The software seems very very sensitive to signal. I have to routinely reset the software (not the device) about five times on my short (12 mile) drive home. It is also slow to start up. I got lost the other day, cranked it up and told it to navigate home - i had found my way before Navigator has its act together.

I trust that Verizon will unlock the device.

Does anyone know how they disable it?
    07-01-08 03:08 PM
217 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD