Hi everyone I need your help with a few questions.
    1. I am traveling out of the US and I want to use my phone in Israel. Can i just use a sim card that i buy there, put it in the phone and everything will work?
    2. If i cant do that, what happens if I just want to use my verizon phone there for my emails and bbm will that work? Like if i turn on the phone everything should come in or will i be charged roaming fees the second i turn on the phone since it will start downloading emails?
    3. Will verizon give me an unlock code for free?
    Thanks for the help
    12-16-09 03:49 PM
    Depending on your account status, time, payments, they will give you the code free. Once unlocked, you can use a foreign sim in the phone.

You should call their global support folks for the unlock code. Also check their Global PLAN. It provides UNlimited data for about $65/month on a pro rata basis, so you stop paying your standard BIS plan pro rata and pickup this one. I don't know call costs in Israel but in Europe they were $.099/minute in/out and to/from US.

Costs can get pricy if you don't opt for the global plan. But a cheaper calling plan with a foreign sim might be worth exploring.

If verizon won't unlock, there are 3rd parties who will.

Enjoy Israel - its been about 40 years since I was there.
    12-16-09 03:59 PM
    thanks for the answers and so quickly Ok, assuming that they give me the unlock code and i put in a different SIM that means my phone will be running on that other network right? if thats the case than verizon has nothing to do with my phones internet usage etc right? sorry i never dealt with this before so i dont know anything about it
    12-16-09 04:03 PM
    If they do not give you an unlock code you can pick one up on ebay for 4.99. Make sure you buy from a reputable seller. They will send you the unlock code 10 minutes after the auction ends once you provide your device model and IMEI.
    12-16-09 04:33 PM
    Sorry if this is ignorant, but do foreign SIM cards allow for data as well? I'm going to Egypt and want to unlock so I can cheaply call and text other people in Egypt, but it would also be great to have data while I'm there. thanks.
    12-16-09 04:51 PM
    Getting your unlocked device to be able have data is another matter. With it unlocked and a working SIM, you will have voice and sms capabilities but not data. You will need to have the correct service books, there is a thread somewhere here on Crackberry that gives instructions, Im just not sure where it is. The title is something to do with getting your Tour to work on AT&T. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
    12-16-09 05:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD