I read somewhere that they will unlock the storm for verizon customers for free for international travel. Is this true? If so can you use any sim card provider?
    05-25-09 11:41 PM
    Yes this is true. Verizon unlocked my Storm for me and I now use it on AT&T.

You can use it with any GSM network, once it's unlocked. You will be limited to EDGE in the U.S. however.
    05-25-09 11:44 PM
    Not the stores, that I'm aware of. You must contact Verizon Global Support. It's even stored on the SIM card phonebook.
    05-25-09 11:48 PM
    Okay, why would they do this? Doesnt this cost them business?

Okay so just call them and ask them to do it? They can do it over the phone?
    05-25-09 11:49 PM
    They won't do it for you if you're planning on leaving them and canceling your service for another provider. They do this for those that actually use their phones internationally and would rather use a pre-paid SIM card, and then when they return, plan on using VZW again.

If you call them, tell them that you're going to be traveling internationally and you'd rather use a pre-paid SIM card, and they'll give you the code right over the phone.
    05-25-09 11:51 PM
    I got ya. Thanks!
    05-25-09 11:54 PM

Okay so just call them and ask them to do it? They can do it over the phone?
    And they're also forced to, by law.
    05-26-09 12:01 AM
    not instore please it puts us in a bind

just go to the contacts on the sim and call global support they will give you code and tell you how to unlock it

sorry lagged out dont know why it took so long to post
    05-26-09 12:03 AM
    And dont forget...

Some blackberry funtions require Service Books from the wireless carrier.... things like MMS, web, internet email, etc... service Books are carrier specific.

So, once SIM unlocked, if you are using a Non-VZW SIM, unless that carrier sells/supports the Storm/9530, you wont get the needed service books.

There are threads discussing how to put service books onto the Storm by hand from your PC for carriers like AT&T, T-Mobile, Alltel and others... These steps DO work, and give you the service books you need so the device is fully functional. But the needed service books files are available for every non-VZW carrier... i.e. you might not have the files available to be able to do ths when using a European pre-pay sim.
    05-26-09 06:05 AM
    I was told once un-locked the warranty will be over. verizon will not honor the phone warranty. Rim might.
    05-26-09 08:21 PM
    I was told once un-locked the warranty will be over. verizon will not honor the phone warranty. Rim might.
    Not true at all.
    05-26-09 08:24 PM
    Verizon will tell you they can't be held responsible for problems that are caused by the 3rd party SIM, or problems you have while using the 3rd party SIM and its wireless coverage...

That is only fair...

Now, if a key falls off or something... they'll cover the warranty, as long as your Storm is still active on a Verizon account.
    05-26-09 09:38 PM
    Thats 100% wrong.
    I unlocked my phone to go to Mexico and took it in for warranty issues... NO PROBLEM.
    05-26-09 11:46 PM
    Unlocking your phone (probably) doesnt violate any software terms and conditons. Nor does it modify the OS or the hardware.
    05-27-09 03:31 PM
    not instore please it puts us in a bind

just go to the contacts on the sim and call global support they will give you code and tell you how to unlock it

sorry lagged out dont know why it took so long to post
    How do you access the Sim Card information? I was told you can't place contacts or any info into the Verizon Sim..
    05-27-09 03:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD