i just upgraded to the 9700, want to verify that my old 8900 was unlocked. I got the information from tmobile on how to unlock, but it appears that each time i type in the unlock code, the phone freezes up. Although I can pull the power and start the phone back up, I dont have any way of knowing if its truly unlock, and i dont have a sim from another cell carrier.
    02-25-10 05:37 PM
    Start the phone up without the SIM card... it should come up... it does not need a SIM card to boot up.

Next, go to Manage Connections and select "Turn All Connections Off"... next, Options > Advanced Options > SIM Card

When you type these letters nothing will appear on the screen: MEPD

Everything should be "Disabled"... if they are your device is unlocked... if not, it is still locked.
    02-26-10 07:13 AM
    Freezing up when inputing the code is a known software issue
    02-26-10 09:22 AM
    Freezing up when inputing the code is a known software issue
    I've never heard of this known issue, nor did it happen to me when I did it.
    02-26-10 10:31 AM
    Yes it's rare but does happen, you can see some threads here in forums where phones would freeze after entering the code.
    02-26-10 10:46 AM
    Start the phone up without the SIM card... it should come up... it does not need a SIM card to boot up.

Next, go to Manage Connections and select "Turn All Connections Off"... next, Options > Advanced Options > SIM Card

When you type these letters nothing will appear on the screen: MEPD

Everything should be "Disabled"... if they are your device is unlocked... if not, it is still locked.
    You don't need to start up your BB without a SIM and do all that. Just do the following:

options>advanced>sim Then type mepd. If the network reads inactive or disabled it is unlocked. If it reads active it is locked.
    02-26-10 10:48 AM
    Everything should be "Disabled"...
    Like this...

02-26-10 11:37 AM
    You don't need to start up your BB without a SIM and do all that. Just do the following:

options>advanced>sim Then type mepd. If the network reads inactive or disabled it is unlocked. If it reads active it is locked.
    The OP said they did not have a SIM card... so that is why I said you can start it without a SIM card.
    02-26-10 12:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD