I just want to confirm as I think Verizon global support got this wrong. They provided me with an unlock code. My plan was to purchase a 3rd party SIM which apparently works in Cuba and the Tour supports the dominant GSM frequency in Cuba. The support person told me the phone is blocked from working in Cuba and I assume she is referring to Verizon's native SIM. I explained that I will be using another SIM and she insisted it wouldn't work. From what I've read, a 3rd party SIM which has been tested in Cuba should work on an unlocked Verizon Tour in Cuba. Am I correct?
    03-10-10 07:38 AM
    I just want to confirm as I think Verizon global support got this wrong. They provided me with an unlock code. My plan was to purchase a 3rd party SIM which apparently works in Cuba and the Tour supports the dominant GSM frequency in Cuba. The support person told me the phone is blocked from working in Cuba and I assume she is referring to Verizon's native SIM. I explained that I will be using another SIM and she insisted it wouldn't work. From what I've read, a 3rd party SIM which has been tested in Cuba should work on an unlocked Verizon Tour in Cuba. Am I correct?
    Yes it will work. If i'm not mistaken, the GSM band used in Cuba is GSM 900, and the 9530/9550 are compatible with those bands.

Did you unlock your phone using the code they gave you?
    03-10-10 08:10 AM
    Yes it will work. If i'm not mistaken, the GSM band used in Cuba is GSM 900, and the 9530/9550 are compatible with those bands.

Did you unlock your phone using the code they gave you?
    Yes, they gave me the unlock code. I haven't inserted another SIM yet to confirm it works but this is what I have on the SIM screen.
    SIM Disabled
    Network Inactive
    Network Subset Disabled
    Service Provider Disabled
    Corporate Disabled
    03-10-10 08:16 AM
    Yes, they gave me the unlock code. I haven't inserted another SIM yet to confirm it works but this is what I have on the SIM screen.
    SIM Disabled
    Network Inactive
    Network Subset Disabled
    Service Provider Disabled
    Corporate Disabled
    Great, your phone is Unlocked. Network Inactive/Disabled means your phone is unlocked.

Just remember that once you get to Cuba and get a SIM card and insert it in the phone, you will need to go to Options/Mobile Network and change Technology to GSM/UMTS and select 2G and you will be good to go.

Have a safe trip!
    03-10-10 08:20 AM
    Great, your phone is Unlocked. Network Inactive/Disabled means your phone is unlocked.

Just remember that once you get to Cuba and get a SIM card and insert it in the phone, you will need to go to Options/Mobile Network and change Technology to GSM/UMTS and select 2G and you will be good to go.

Have a safe trip!
    Thanks for your help.
    03-10-10 08:33 AM
    Thanks for your help.
    The only thing she may be referring to is Cuba has blocked certain things from going into their country which may include blacklisting and imei's that don't originate from there.
    03-10-10 09:38 AM
    Thanks for your help.
    You're welcome
    03-12-10 10:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD