From what I've seen I can't get 3g on this phone. But is there any way to make it work? Edge isn't terrible but I just came from a 3g iphone so the speed difference is noticeable. Most of the time I'm on wifi so its not a huge deal but 3g would be nice. Thanks

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-10-10 02:30 PM
    No because they have to different radio bands for 3G. It's not going to work.
    03-10-10 02:31 PM
    yup the 3g bands for t-mo and att are different..
    03-10-10 02:33 PM
    darn it. I just bought unlocked 9700 from t-mobile to use on at&t service plan.
    I currently have 9000 from at&t and using on at&t. I had to wait on upgrade from at&t for 9700, So I bought it unlocked t-mobile version to use on at&t.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? Does all other futures of BB works?

Please god help.....
    03-10-10 09:02 PM
    darn it. I just bought unlocked 9700 from t-mobile to use on at&t service plan.
    I currently have 9000 from at&t and using on at&t. I had to wait on upgrade from at&t for 9700, So I bought it unlocked t-mobile version to use on at&t.

Is there anything I can do to fix this? Does all other futures of BB works?

Please god help.....
    your only option is to sell it or trade it for an at&t branded one. it is a hardware issue that cannot be fixed. the t-mobile models are not compatible with at&t's 3G network due to frequency differences.
    03-10-10 09:49 PM
    From what I've seen I can't get 3g on this phone. But is there any way to make it work? Edge isn't terrible but I just came from a 3g iphone so the speed difference is noticeable. Most of the time I'm on wifi so its not a huge deal but 3g would be nice. Thanks
    Consumer Reports just rated AT&T as the worst carrier in the USA ... again. CNET, Business Week and many others also think AT&T is really a pretty stinky carrier.

Treat yourself and switch over to T-Mobile. Water is warm, swim on over.
    03-10-10 11:09 PM
    Consumer Reports just rated AT&T as the worst carrier in the USA ... again. CNET, Business Week and many others also think AT&T is really a pretty stinky carrier.

You sure love singing that song over and over . I don't think the OP was looking to switch carriers, but wanted to know if he could get his T-mobile branded 9700 to work on ATT's 3G. Which just isn't going to happen
    03-10-10 11:24 PM
    You sure love singing that song over and over . I don't think the OP was looking to switch carriers, but wanted to know if he could get his T-mobile branded 9700 to work on ATT's 3G. Which just isn't going to happen
    yea and it gets annoying every post by berry is the same song and dance about how great t-mobile is... dont get me wrong i have them....but.... ya know.

03-11-10 08:24 AM
    I'm surprised he didn't throw in something about how threaded SMS is the work of the Devil.
    03-11-10 08:39 AM
    it is possible, the att and tmo phone are exactly the same.

i have 2 9700 one for me on att and the 2nd for my GF using tmo.

She has UMA set up and 3G set up.

All possible.
    03-11-10 10:05 AM
    I'm surprised he didn't throw in something about how threaded SMS is the work of the Devil.
    i seriously just LOL out loud... well now i'm the shop physco for laughing "for no reason"... thanks jef..... ....

03-11-10 10:23 AM
    it is possible, the att and tmo phone are exactly the same.

i have 2 9700 one for me on att and the 2nd for my GF using tmo.

She has UMA set up and 3G set up.

All possible.

pics or no proof.... and i want to see the e-help screen so i can see the vendorID.

03-11-10 10:25 AM
    pics or no proof.... and i want to see the e-help screen so i can see the vendorID.

+1 for the pics...

and WHY ppl why are you still getting a 9700
    for the wrong f'in company!! Grrrr
    They made two versions for a reason IMO...
    03-11-10 10:32 AM

Most people I work with think T-Mo is a joke! It is for the kids or people who can't afford a real carrier

Just read in this forum and many think their 3G is a mess. I have an employee that is stuck on T-Mo but has to go outside to make a call! LOL

I can not remember having a dropped call on AT&T!
    03-11-10 10:32 AM
    Most people I work with think T-Mo is a joke! It is for the kids or people who can't afford a real carrier

Just read in this forum and many think their 3G is a mess. I have an employee that is stuck on T-Mo but has to go outside to make a call! LOL

personal opinion in my book, i've yet to lose a HSPA signal here in Cincinnati Ohio, and my sister and brother in law have iP3G and they lose HSAP all the time.... not to mention my 9700 is quicker with data speeds than any of my other co-workers. And we have a T-Mo 9700, AT&T 9000, Verzion 9530, and a Verzion 9630 all under one roof.

TO say one company is better than the next is childish.....

It all depends on your coverage area in your selective market... some places Sprint excels, some Verzion, some AT&T and some T-Mobile.... to say ATT > T-Mo from coast to coast is simply not true and you cannot find proof to support your theory.

and keep in mind T-Mo was THE FIRST US Carrier to bring Android to the table.... makes ya think...

03-11-10 10:42 AM

Sorry it is what it is, should have got your carriers branded device thats one of the downsides.
    03-11-10 11:03 AM

I didn't take a picture, as both of my phones were displaying, but I had my T*Mo 9700 right next to my work AT&T 9000, I was maybe 10 miles from the city of Chicago, in a residential area, and my 9700 had 3G, and my 9000 had no service.

As was stated, each carrier has strengths and weaknesses. I use T*Mo as it was cheapest, and now with my grandfathered plans, it's still the cheapest. And outside of Chicago, coverage isn't an issue.
    03-11-10 12:01 PM
    No chance..different frequencies. its not a hackable thing..purely hardware
    03-11-10 08:56 PM
    I didn't take a picture, as both of my phones were displaying, but I had my T*Mo 9700 right next to my work AT&T 9000, I was maybe 10 miles from the city of Chicago, in a residential area, and my 9700 had 3G, and my 9000 had no service.

As was stated, each carrier has strengths and weaknesses. I use T*Mo as it was cheapest, and now with my grandfathered plans, it's still the cheapest. And outside of Chicago, coverage isn't an issue.
    Totally agree! Here in Miami, some places TMO had better coverage, and others AT&T. After trying both, noticed that for me AT&T had more places where I had better coverage so decided to stick with AT&T.
    03-12-10 12:51 AM

I have/had BB Curve 8900 with T-Mobile. I can't begin to describe how much I hate that company. I'm actually selling my BB on ebay and have downgraded to a Samsung Solstice with AT&T just because of tmobile's horrid service.

With T-Mobile my house was a cellular dead zone, but with AT&T I have FULL bars! And 3G!

But I will say that Tmobile has great customer service, then again they kind of have to with their crappy network. I bet TMobile employees don't even use TMobile.

Alright, I'm off my soapbox now.
    03-13-10 04:28 PM
    That's why it's great to have multiple options when choosing your provider and also the ability to cancel within their 14-30 days trial.
    03-14-10 06:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD