02-19-10 11:28 AM
48 12
tools
    Alright, my collection of BlackBerry's is ever-growing....but I've never really expierimented with Unlocking a BB since I've always used Telus's CDMA Network.

My question, can we use our Telus SIM Card in other BlackBerry's? Obviosuly I know they need to be unlocked, but I know that Telus's Network is strictly HSPA (no Edge) so I am not to sure.

According to their website, Telus uses 1900/850 Frequency...so our SIM Card should work in unlocked phones....right?

My biggest issue is that I want to purchase a Vodaphone 9520 from eBay to use as a toy (my 9700 is my primary phone), and I just want to make sure that if I insert my SIM Card it can become an actual phone.

Thoughts??
    12-06-09 12:45 PM
    if you have the imei number off of the phone you want to unlock and use on the telus network, you can look it up on the telus website and it will tell you if the phone "should" work or not. I have not had any significant issues yet and I am running an unlocked phone.
    12-06-09 01:27 PM
    I have a Rogers BB Bold (9000), unlocked, and i am trying to get it working on the Telus HPSA network right now. SIM card purchased and setup with Telus C.S. Phone and text messaging works just fine but i cannot get the data to work at all. Called Telus technical support and they gave me some APN's to try but none of them work either....

Im at a loss as to what to try next...any suggestions?
    12-06-09 10:05 PM
    What is your location?

The APN they gave you, bb.telus.com? Ensure that authentication is enabled, but nothing is in the username and password fields.
    12-06-09 11:22 PM
    Alright, my collection of BlackBerry's is ever-growing....but I've never really expierimented with Unlocking a BB since I've always used Telus's CDMA Network.

My question, can we use our Telus SIM Card in other BlackBerry's? Obviosuly I know they need to be unlocked, but I know that Telus's Network is strictly HSPA (no Edge) so I am not to sure.

According to their website, Telus uses 1900/850 Frequency...so our SIM Card should work in unlocked phones....right?

My biggest issue is that I want to purchase a Vodaphone 9520 from eBay to use as a toy (my 9700 is my primary phone), and I just want to make sure that if I insert my SIM Card it can become an actual phone.

Thoughts??
    9520 won't work on Telus network no more than the 9500 would work on Telus network. Those phones work on 2100mhz 3G which isn't available in Canada.
    12-07-09 08:00 AM
    I have a Rogers BB Bold (9000), unlocked, and i am trying to get it working on the Telus HPSA network right now. SIM card purchased and setup with Telus C.S. Phone and text messaging works just fine but i cannot get the data to work at all. Called Telus technical support and they gave me some APN's to try but none of them work either....

Im at a loss as to what to try next...any suggestions?

I have the exact same problem. When I go to telus.blackberry.com and try to create an account it tells me that registered with my wireless provider. I did what it told me to and go to advanced options and host routing table. I send a message and don't get anything back.. Any ideas?
    12-07-09 01:48 PM
    Your PIN is still locked to Rogers - you must call Rogers and ask them to release your PIN. Just because the device is unlocked, doesn't mean the PIN is unlocked/released. Rogers must de-associate your PIN from their BIS network. Upon completing this, you can log on to TELUS' BIS site and associate the device with TELUS.
    12-07-09 02:43 PM
    Your PIN is still locked to Rogers - you must call Rogers and ask them to release your PIN. Just because the device is unlocked, doesn't mean the PIN is unlocked/released. Rogers must de-associate your PIN from their BIS network. Upon completing this, you can log on to TELUS' BIS site and associate the device with TELUS.

I called Rogers and they told me that because I wasn't the previous owner on their network I can't go through their security process therefore I couldn't release the pin, they suggested I talk to my provider (Telus) and ask them to push it through on their end.. Tried that and didn't really do anything. Finally someone who some what understood me said that the Telus network does not support data on unlocked phones from other networks... So at this point unless someone knows anything else to fix that then I guess I just wait till I can buy one on a contract.
    12-07-09 04:45 PM
    Are you able to get a hold of the previous owner? And if you push through enough reps at Rogers - you should be able to get it released. You do own the device after all. If you can't let me know - and I will myself walk over to the call center and see what I can do.

Telus won't provide technical support for data on other phones, but data will work on the devices. I ran my Bold 9000 on the Telus network for a good week before I decided to get a 9700 (just wanted a new phone, the 9000 worked fine)
    12-07-09 05:34 PM
    ^^ wxman you've got in's @ rogers to get PIN's released?
    12-07-09 06:15 PM
    I worked at Rogers Sportnet for 5 years, the call center was attached to our studios, so I have quite a few friends in the call center.
    12-07-09 06:21 PM
    Are you able to get a hold of the previous owner? And if you push through enough reps at Rogers - you should be able to get it released. You do own the device after all. If you can't let me know - and I will myself walk over to the call center and see what I can do.

Telus won't provide technical support for data on other phones, but data will work on the devices. I ran my Bold 9000 on the Telus network for a good week before I decided to get a 9700 (just wanted a new phone, the 9000 worked fine)

Well I can't get a hold of the previous as they have left work and actually left the country so if it wouldn't be to much to ask, could you possibly have it unlocked and we can try and find some way for me to thank you. As for the data working on the network it doesn't make sense that it wouldn't work. Unfortunately I just don't know enough to stand up for myself against them. And since it seems like you know exactly what I am going through, is it possible to use data while on a normal plan? I understand I would pay per megabyte but before I switch back to a data included plan I want to test it as now I would be getting charged for switching.. Thank you for all the info, it has really helped!!
    12-07-09 06:50 PM
    As for the data working on the network it doesn't make sense that it wouldn't work.
    BlackBerries use data differently then a normal PDA, they tunnel all connections through the cellular network to RIM's servers, where they then connect to the internet. For your BB to have data, it must be on a BB Data plan, a normal data plan will not suffice. So ensure you have a BlackBerry Data plan on your TELUS account. For every PDA package, they have an equivalent BlackBerry data package.

Unfortunately I just don't know enough to stand up for myself against them. And since it seems like you know exactly what I am going through, is it possible to use data while on a normal plan? I understand I would pay per megabyte but before I switch back to a data included plan I want to test it as now I would be getting charged for switching.. Thank you for all the info, it has really helped!!
    As mentioned, you need a BlackBerry data plan.

I can head over and try to get your PIN released, you'll need to PM me your PIN and IMEI.

Don't thank me yet - let's see if we can get this working first!

Cheers!
    12-07-09 08:58 PM
    9520 won't work on Telus network no more than the 9500 would work on Telus network. Those phones work on 2100mhz 3G which isn't available in Canada.

Ya that's what I thought.....I really want a Storm2 to add to my collection, would be it better to get a 9550 or 9520?

Telus - The Future is Messed Up!
    12-08-09 01:37 PM
    Ya that's what I thought.....I really want a Storm2 to add to my collection, would be it better to get a 9550 or 9520?

Telus - The Future is Messed Up!
    9550 is the only one that will work in Canada, unless you can find a way to get the NA HSPA frequencies unlocked (they're there, but locked out by RIM)

9520 will only work on Rogers EDGE, but the 9550 can get 3G speeds here - 1XEV style
    12-08-09 03:52 PM
    They would work on Bell's network. Let us know if you need one unlocked.
    12-08-09 08:21 PM
    I have a storm2 at telus. If I unlock and buy hspa son card at telus.

Do you think is work.

Some telus tech think yes...

?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-08-09 10:06 PM
    You don't need to unlock a Telus Storm2 to use on Telus if it going to be used on the branded carriers network. LOL

12-08-09 10:08 PM
    I would like to use it on the new network. But the storm is cdma. Is for this reason...

12-08-09 10:39 PM
    It will still work its branded TELUS

12-08-09 10:42 PM
    The Storm 1/2 are HSPA but only for european network(2100 for europe and 1900 for america), in america the phone can only work on CDMA or EDGE networks. telus is not EDGE so your unlocked storm will not work on Telus(it could on Rogers edge)
    12-08-09 11:04 PM
    has anyone unlocked there telus storm 2?
    12-15-09 01:04 AM
    I have heard of several who have unlocked their Storm 2's. I used UniquePhones for my Storm and I know the do the Storm 2 as well. Check out the link below VVVV
    12-16-09 12:17 PM
    Just wondering if you got my message wxmancanada?? Thanks.
    12-16-09 06:38 PM
    Hello,

I was very excited about the new service provider in town "Wind Mobile" and joined on the first day they opened in Calgary. Unfortunately, I have been very disappointed with their network coverage. I just unlocked my 9700 and I am thinking of switching to Telus. Do I need to do anything else (e.g., call Wind to unlock my PIN) before I go to a telus store? This thread suggests that I might run into data problems when using a non-telus device. Any advice? Thanks!
    01-03-10 03:52 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD