Hi, I am a Blackberry newb, and was going to take the plunge and invest in a secondhand 8320 to get me started with the intention of updating the software on the handset to the latest version, my question is if the 8320 is not on the same network will i still have to unlock it even if I wipe it and reload the OS (was gonna load the version for O2 UK) also will this effectively debrand the handset or will I have to pay to unlock still, I am on O2 network (UK) but may well have to purchase the 8320 as Orange network as it seems to be much more readily available here in the UK.......

Cheers in advance for any help,
    Regards
    Essexmirage
    12-30-09 07:59 PM
    Unlocking is a one-time irreversible process. Reloading the OS will not re-lock the device.

You can't legally "debrand" a BlackBerry. Reloading the OS doesn't affect the branding nor the locked/unlocked status.
    12-30-09 08:22 PM
    Nor does unlocking debrand the device. They're two separate things. We talk openly and freely about unlocking, which is legal. Not so much about unbranding
    12-30-09 08:26 PM
    what is not legal about debranding the blackberry ,,,,,,,,,,,you can debrand and unlock it as much you want .............dont see any artical about illigal debranding
    05-17-10 09:57 PM
    The software used to debrand is.
    05-18-10 12:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD