I am with AT&T and will be traveling out of the country for 10 days. I called AT&T about turning on the International service and was told I need to activate for one full year. A friend suggested I get get AT&T to give me the code to unlock my phone and buy the sim card overseas. Any suggestions on what I should say to AT&T to get them to give me this code?
    04-10-08 05:19 PM
    Depending on where you are traveling to and your usage. You can buy a pay as you go SIM card once you arrive. But I wouldn't recommend it if you are going to be using it call back to the US.
    04-10-08 05:25 PM
    If you've had your phone for atleast 1-3 mos (depending on carrier), they must give you that code for free since there are already laws about that.

If you are, just tell them you are going overseas and need to use the phone so you need the unlock code. They will then email you the code and instructions within 1-7 days.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-10-08 05:29 PM
    I think AT & T may be wrong here, I am sure you can get international plans for a minimum of one month.

If you unlock your BB to use a local sim which will most likely be a pre paid sim your Blackberry features will not work as they are not available on prepaid.

However, AT & T may provide you with an unlock code if you tell them it is because you are travelling overseas and want to use a local sim. Failing that try an unlocking service.

Look out for a link posted by a forum member called Berryman as he posted a solution for US travellers to Europe. Maybe he will see this thread and post a link

Welcome to CB!
    Last edited by Hazysky; 04-10-08 at 05:35 PM.
    04-10-08 05:33 PM
    I got my AT&T curve unlocked about 10 days after I owned it (sometime during March) by calling AT&T and telling them I will be traveling around the world for a year starting at the end of this month. (true story) They didn't really give me any hassle.

So if the person you called won't do it, just hang up and talk to somebody else. Eventually you'll get someone who knows what they're doing.
    04-10-08 06:09 PM
    yeah i got mine from tmo by sending an email then a day or two and a confirmation email later i got the code
    no sitting on hold or talking on the phone with cs
    04-10-08 06:14 PM
    Whatever AT&T rep you spoke with is incorrect. I have AT&T, and I've added an international package every year for the last 5 years when I travel, and only add it for the time I'm gone. Typically I leave it on for 2 weeks, and they prorate the 1-month charge. There is no requirement to keep it on for a year. If somebody were to be traveling internationally for a year, they'd just get a new cell phone and plan in whatever country they're going to.
    04-10-08 06:44 PM
    An entire thread on how to get the unlock code FREE, no charge what-so-ever.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/unl...-anyone-20002/
    04-27-08 03:37 PM
    Service needs to be active and in good standing for 90 days after activation. If you are within 90 days, you may not be eligible.

I would suggest getting the unlock code. Call AT&T and just state you are planning on using a international sim card and they will either give you the code right away or email the code to you within 7-10 business days (usually 72 hours.)
    04-27-08 07:02 PM
    Definitely not true. I had no service at all and got my code as did many here.
    04-27-08 07:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD