02-08-15 10:57 AM
698 ... 7891011 ...
tools
    that means if i take a SIM CARD from europe, or lets take my contry MOROCCO, for sure it will work ???
    08-29-07 04:40 PM
    BlondeBoyL,

No I did not turn the antenna off. I did however enter the two codes and it then showed me as off the verizon network. Now of course i have not been able to get back on and had to wipe the phone clean and contact customer service. They have told me that there are network issues with my exchange so i don't know exactly if things are fixed or not. Did any of that help clear things up.
    08-29-07 05:34 PM
    The Sprint, Bell & Telus 8830 devices are unlocked from the factory.
    Whoa really? Does that mean I can take my Rogers sim card and stick it in and it will work? This BB from Telus is from my work but I'm on the Rogers network with my personal cell phone...
    08-29-07 06:54 PM
    I just picked up a BB8830 world phone from a pawn shop it says its a telus phone when I start it up i am currently on a bell plan with my other phone in Canada is it posibble to activate such a phone that is more than likely stollen
    08-29-07 09:21 PM
    I just unlocked my WE 8830!!! It takes some gumption, but it is worth it. First call technical service and ask for the Global support team. Tell them that the FCC has required that if the phone company makes you have a 2 year contract they CANNOT lock your phone and you want it unlocked. The key here is you have to have 2 year agreement.
    You then have to get a SIM card in order to unlock it. TIP, GET THE SIM CARD FIRST. This is a bit of a catch 22, but again, better than paying $65 a month for the global service. I paid $40 for the SIM card, they "activate the global service" ( for about 10 minutes) because they can't sell you the SIM card with the global service. I was only charged the cost of the SIM card ($40) but had the service activated.
    I then called Global support back, they faxed me a release to sign saying if a foreign sim card ruined my phone I would not hold Verizon responsible.
    They then walked me through unlocking the phone, and cancelled the global service. When I go over seas, all I have to do is buy a prepaid vodaphon sim card and it will work. Overseas, incoming calls are free, which is really cool.
    08-30-07 02:40 PM
    I tried sticking in my Rogers SIM card yesterday...when I booted it up, it asked me to register my BB again...I checked my network status and it still said I was on the Telus EVDO network...
    08-30-07 04:09 PM
    i think the telus and bell are unlocked by default, but not in canda, so you can use it wtvr in the world, exept canada' gsm network, that means rogers and fido... (90% sur)..
    08-30-07 09:03 PM
    I just unlocked my 8830.

I'm on a 2-year plan, not yet eligible for new every 2, and had bought the BB at a discount, not full retail. I had to bounce around the various helplines for a while, was told variously (a) the 4.2 install automatically unlocks the phone (pure BS, it appears), (2) I needed to buy and install a VZW SIM card to unlock the phone, even though I had already installed the GoSIM International card; (3) same as (2), but I was entitled to a free VZW card at the local store; and (4) it was illegal to unlock the phone (!). No-one asked if I paid full price for it.

Finally found someone in global support who emailed me the waiver, and instructions, although she was doubtful I could do it with a 3rd party card. Anyway, I tried it with the GoSIM card, and it seemed to take. When I rebooted, it asked if I wanted to activate automatic network selection, which I elected. I won't know for sure till I get off the plane, but my understanding is that unlocking and activation will automatically steer the BB to the local network, CDMA or GSM.

Anyway, its surprising how much misinformation there is about a seemingly straight-forward process. For the most part VZW personnel attempted to be helpful and were very courteous (with one exception, number 4) - one person actually called me back on the BB to correct misinformation he had given me - but there doesn't seem to be a standardized protocol to deal with this.
    08-31-07 02:33 PM
    i think the telus and bell are unlocked by default, but not in canda, so you can use it wtvr in the world, exept canada' gsm network, that means rogers and fido... (90% sur)..
    That sucks...any way we can unlock it for use with Rogers or Telus?
    08-31-07 06:13 PM
    I agree with previous user post Zoot.
    Further more the recent disclaimer that VzW shares during the online unlocking procedure (about 8min) has no longer the minimum req. which referred in this posting prior.
    It can't be easier:
    1. Call to the global support number 1.908...posted earlier
    2. Very simply ask to unlock the phone.
    3. They will email you the disclaim - word document
    4. And start the unlock process with you while you are on the phone
    5. 2 minutes later reboot and whallaa - the phone is unlock.

Now I guess I have to search for go2sim like with data option in Europe
    09-05-07 05:27 PM
    Thanks, it was as easy as you said. I got mine unlocked in less than 10 minutes. If I understand it correctly, when you have a non Verizon SIM card in your phone while oversea, the BB data service does not work even if you have Global Plan. This makes it very cumbersome when you switch between data and local phone service. It is difficult to switch SIM on VZW 8830.
    Last edited by schan; 09-10-07 at 05:29 PM.
    09-10-07 12:47 PM
    The SIM card is located under the back chassis side. You can see the SIM card once you open the battery case and the battery completely remove.
    Swapping cards it a matter of sliding the sim and powering-up the device.
    09-10-07 11:39 PM
    The point I was trying to make is you cannot have Global BB service and local phone service via a non Verizon SIM concurrently while oversea.
    Last edited by schan; 09-11-07 at 09:49 AM.
    09-11-07 09:33 AM
    I paid $40 for the SIM card, they "activate the global service" ( for about 10 minutes) because they can't sell you the SIM card with the global service. I was only charged the cost of the SIM card ($40) but had the service activated.
    I got mine for free by them ($39.99 - $39.99 discount). It's probably because I'm a government employee as a state university professor, and I get the government discount, but still... I thought if you asked for it, they will unlock it without charge.

Then again, it's Verizon. If there is an opportunity to nickel and dime customers, Verizon has thought of it and applied it!
    09-13-07 05:17 PM
    BlondeBoyL,

No I did not turn the antenna off. I did however enter the two codes and it then showed me as off the verizon network. Now of course i have not been able to get back on and had to wipe the phone clean and contact customer service. They have told me that there are network issues with my exchange so i don't know exactly if things are fixed or not. Did any of that help clear things up.
    When I updated my phone, I had to go into the little Antenna program and turn on all antennae again because they were turned off automatically. Could be what happened to you.
    09-13-07 05:20 PM
    It is possible to unlock the Blackberry 8830 from Verizon. There are no fees to do this and you can do it while within a contract.

To do so, you need to call VZW support and ask to be transferred to the Global Phone support desk. They may ask what this is in reference to, you can say you are requesting that your phone be unlocked so that you can use it while traveling on GSM networks outside of VZW service areas.

The Global Phone support rep may ask you why you want your phone to be unlocked, but in general s/he will email you a copy of the terms and conditions for having your phone unlocked. This is a Word document that will be emailed to you, there is no need to sign you just need to review it. The rep will then walk you through the steps of unlocking the phone. (Navigating to the SIM Card options, getting to the MEP menu and entering the MEP code.)

As stated in earlier threads, this doesn't do anything for you in the United States (you can't take your BB 8830 to AT&T), but it can save you significantly when roaming abroad. You won't, however, have access to things like BB messenger, your email or other data services as those are available when roaming on networks where VZW and Vodafone have an agreement.

Let me know if you run into any issues with this, but these are the steps that I've followed.
    09-24-07 07:50 PM
    Hi. You guys seem so knowledgeable about the blackberry that thought I'd ask you.....I bought a Verizon 8830 on craigslist and when I tried getting it activated I was told that the serial number is bad. Therefore, Verion won't activate it. Can Verizon do that? Is it legal? Especailly if I don't have anything to do with the issue at hand. Also would I be able to activate it on the Sprint system? Or I'm I SOL? Thanks
    Last edited by Hipberry; 09-27-07 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Title missing
    09-26-07 11:28 PM
    Help confused about BB
    09-27-07 02:18 PM
    I bought a Verizon 8830 on craigslist and when I tried getting it activated I was told that the serial number is bad.
    Sounds like it's "blacklisted". Might have been reported "lost" or "stolen" or whatever. Reports in other forums have said that once "blacklisted" you can't ever get it activated.
    09-28-07 05:35 PM
    IT can also be "blacklisted" because the previous owner has an outstanding balance.
    09-29-07 06:25 AM
    Sent a email to verizon asking for it to be unlocked for future travel and I can add it to my plan in the future.....

So waiting to hear back from them hopefully they will just ship me the card. some users have said they were given the sim card with there phone no fee
    10-04-07 03:22 PM
    here is the reply back..... what bs

Thank you for contacting our Verizon Wireless website. We are happy to assist you with information about unlocking your Blackberry 8830 to use overseas.

Your Blackberry 8830 is already unlocked, you will need to purchase a SIM card and have the correct features on your account to use the phone overseas with the GSM network. You can purchase a SIM card at your local Verizon Wireless Store, to locate the Verizon Wireless retail store nearest to you, please visit "http:
    The GlobalEmail service is a premium service that can be added to an existing voice plan. There are two pricing options for GlobalEmail service. They both offer the same level of service and coverage in the U.S. and abroad. Neither pricing option incurs airtime charges when connected to data. The pricing options are listed below:

- Global Email plan for $64.99 per month:
    This option includes data usage in the United States, Canada, and Western European countries.

- Global Pay Per Use Plan $0.00 per month:
    This plan is only offered in combination with our $44.99 BroadbandAccess PDA data plan. This option includes BroadbandAccess in the United States. Data usage in Canada is charged on a per kilobyte usage rate of $0.002 per Kilobyte ($2.05 per Megabyte). Data usage in Mexico is charged on a per kilobyte usage rate of $0.005 per Kilobyte ($5.12 per Megabyte). Data usage in the other countries is charged on a per kilobyte usage rate of $0.02 per Kilobyte ($20.48 per Megabyte).

For more information on GlobalEmail (including covered countries and pricing) please visit the links below:

Pricing and voice coverage: Globalemail - Pricing and Coverage - Verizon Wireless

Data coverage maps:

Once you have the SIM card and the correct features on the account you will be able to use your phone overseas. If you have any question, please contact the Wireless Data Technical Support department at your convenience. Our representatives are available 24hours a day, 7 days a week and may be reached by dialing: (908) 559-4899

We make it our personal goal to resolve all of your wireless concerns. We hope we have done that for you today. We appreciate your business and thank you for using Verizon Wireless. Should you have additional questions or feel your concerns are not resolved, please reply to this e-mail.

Sincerely,

Brian
    Verizon Wireless
    Customer Service

If you have further questions or concerns, please write to us again through www We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless.
    10-06-07 10:14 AM
    Hi - good work! can you tell me how to do it or do I have to convince Verizon as well? thanks!

With the help of verizon I did unlock the 8830 thing this morning. It took some fighting though because I wrote an e-mail to verizon explaining how pissed I was about them saying that the unlock codes were unavailable when sprint's 8830 is unlocked. Last night they e-mailed me back and were very nice. they gave the form to fill out and had me fax it in and from that point it was a waiting game. Today about 10:45am they called me back (and global support is not usually open on weekends) and gave me the code and walked me through the process of unlocking the phone. Just an FYI, the MEPD code does not work, you have to enter MEP2 to bring up the dialog to enter the code. So now my 8830 is unlocked. If anyone doubts it I will post pics if you like. I hope this helps some of you but if you are told the codes are unavailable... its a big fat lie!?!

Also, note that they only give the code if you paid outright for the phone (full retail). If you did the upgrade and got the discount I dont think they will give you the code without charging a fee or something.
    10-08-07 10:36 AM
    I paid out right full retail and I never got no card or code, and as you can see the email I got they want me to pay for it all now......
    10-08-07 10:15 PM
    I paid out right full retail and I never got no card or code, and as you can see the email I got they want me to pay for it all now......
    All of these problems have been addressed buddy. This is a quote from page 5 post # 87

You have 2 options:

1.) The option I used - Send an e-mail to verizon VIA the contact us link on the website and do customer feed back and explain to them you want your phone unlocked.

2.) Call 800.711.2900 and tell them you want the phone unlocked.

In both cases you either 1.) have to have paid FULL RETAIL ($519.00) for the phone or 2.) if you did a discount, you have to be prepared to pay the difference between that and full retail.
    Option 2 may be your best option because it looks like you got a bonehead who does not know anything about unlocking the phone. Many people here have it unlocked but it looks like your going to have to call global support and demand for someone who knows the unlock process.

Edit: You did pay full price for the phone or you have been a customer for over 6 months right?

by the way if you need more help man IM me on AIM under BlondeBoyLandon. I dont come on here as much as I use to but I am on there usually at night. Just mention your from crackberry.com
    Last edited by BlondeBoyL; 10-11-07 at 03:42 PM.
    10-11-07 03:26 PM
698 ... 7891011 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD