02-08-15 10:57 AM
698 ... 678910 ...
tools
    nparikh31 - what they're trying to say is that the phone does not have domestic GSM frequencies, just foreign ones.
    So regardless of SIM card, it's the device itself that imposes this limitation.
    08-20-07 08:37 PM
    Thread Stuck.
    08-20-07 08:40 PM
    1) You do not need to perform the software update in order to unlock your phone.
    I believe you have to, to unlock the SIM slot and then you perform the unlock steps. Otherwise it can only accept Verizon supplied SIMs. In any case, its a major patch - highly recommended. It provides several new features.
    08-21-07 09:31 AM
    i just unlocked the 8830 phone.. i popped in a AT&T sim card but it keeps showing "searching for GSM".. can i still use the phone in US w/ other sim cards if the phone is unlocked?
    nparikh, folks here have explained that several times before. You can use the AT&T or any US SIM to perform the unlock but you can't use the actual phone in the US or Canada. Once you go overseas, pop in a local SIM or a prepaid world SIM such as the one from GoSIM and you're set. That's what I did/am going to do. Looking forward to my vacation across S/SE Asia.
    08-21-07 09:38 AM
    i was able to unlock 8830 phone by calling Verizon Global dept.. they were pretty easy to work with and sent me instructions by email.. I didn't have to download any software.. but the phone doesn't work if you add a T-Mo or AT&T SIM card.. i guess the phone band is not cable with their networks..
    08-21-07 03:05 PM
    I believe you have to, to unlock the SIM slot and then you perform the unlock steps. Otherwise it can only accept Verizon supplied SIMs. In any case, its a major patch - highly recommended. It provides several new features.
    The new OS is not needed to unlock. As a matter of fact, the 8830 can unlock the SIM slot under .66 without a SIM even being inserted into the slot.
    08-21-07 07:25 PM
    Hello! First-time poster here...wanted to share some recent experiences.

I successfully installed the updated BB OS patch last week and last night finished unlocking the SIM slot using a prepaid card from GOSIM (Global version). I was holding my breath to make sure everything went without a hitch. All was smooth including the software update.

Last week, I was able to get the unlock instructions from VZW Global Support Team even without the SIM on hand. I didn't have to sign anything. The rep, without hesitation or confirmation, gave the instructions over the phone. FYI, you need to install the software update first before proceeding to unlock.

The phone sees the GOSIM card. I just can't connect to local GSM since the phone only works on the 900/1800 bands. I am confident that I will have no problems when I travel to Europe/Asia next month.

The fact that the phone's SIM was locked vs Sprint's version sort of bothered me but I have been a satisfied VZW customer for a long time, and decided to stick with them. Having an unlocked BB world phone which I got for $99 (after rebates)...all I can say is, wow - what a deal.

Cheers.
    I have merged your thread into this existing unlocking sticky.
    08-21-07 08:26 PM
    I have merged your thread into this existing unlocking sticky.
    Thanks. I should have posted here in the 1st place.
    08-22-07 09:14 AM
    The new OS is not needed to unlock. As a matter of fact, the 8830 can unlock the SIM slot under .66 without a SIM even being inserted into the slot.

This may seem like a stupid question, but this is my first Blackberry.

How do update my OS for the verizon 8830?
    08-24-07 10:40 PM
    This may seem like a stupid question, but this is my first Blackberry.

How do update my OS for the verizon 8830?
    Go to vzw.smithmicro.com/blackberry and download the software. For it to install you MUST have the blackberry manager software downloaded and installed as well. It does everything on its own so there is no real "step by step" other than
    1.) Download the update software
    2.) Run program,
    3.) Let the software install,
    4.) Enjoy your updated crackberry.
    08-25-07 04:45 AM
    What is os??
    08-25-07 05:51 AM
    Just unlocked 8830 with a call to Verizon. They sent me a disclaimer sheet which I did not have to sign. They told me I could not unlock until I had an overseas SIM card but I unlocked with the instructions posted in this forum as soon as I hung up (without incident).

Question is: With an international SIM card (like GOSIM), will my blackberry email and web access work? If so how will this be charged?
    08-27-07 09:36 AM
    Just unlocked 8830 with a call to Verizon. They sent me a disclaimer sheet which I did not have to sign. They told me I could not unlock until I had an overseas SIM card but I unlocked with the instructions posted in this forum as soon as I hung up (without incident).

Question is: With an international SIM card (like GOSIM), will my blackberry email and web access work? If so how will this be charged?
    Direct Quote from the Q&A right below this thread marked READ FIRST

Q.) Do the SIM cards from third parties allow you to use the internet and get email as well as voice?
    A.) It depends on the service provider. Some do, some dont. you have to investigate that with whoever you get a sim card from.
    08-27-07 10:59 AM
    The rep said it the requirements for unlocking a phone were
    A) Paid full retail
    B) Contract is up
    C) 60 days of good payment history.
    I continue to read that a requirement to unlock is to pay full retail, yet others report that is not the case. Is there any definitive answer or policy I can point to if I go to the store and they advise full retail is required?
    08-27-07 01:59 PM
    What Abhorredlife posted is correct. I called Verizon last week to unlock a 8830 and I asked them about the requirements.
    08-27-07 02:05 PM
    Direct Quote from the Q&A right below this thread marked READ FIRST

Q.) Do the SIM cards from third parties allow you to use the internet and get email as well as voice?
    A.) It depends on the service provider. Some do, some dont. you have to investigate that with whoever you get a sim card from.
    Actually, the answer is NO - mostly. If the third-party provider/SIM allow data access, you will probably be able to use apps like Gmail and Google Maps. But you will not be able to use the Blackberry web browser and, probably most importantly, the Blackberry email system. Google Chat also does not work. I have this from several conversations with Verizon's Global Support Desk and from personal experience.

So perhaps it would be appropriate to update that Q&A a bit to clarify exactly what will and won't work when using 3rd party SIM cards.
    08-28-07 05:31 AM
    Actually, the answer is NO - mostly. If the third-party provider/SIM allow data access, you will probably be able to use apps like Gmail and Google Maps. But you will not be able to use the Blackberry web browser and, probably most importantly, the Blackberry email system. Google Chat also does not work. I have this from several conversations with Verizon's Global Support Desk and from personal experience.

So perhaps it would be appropriate to update that Q&A a bit to clarify exactly what will and won't work when using 3rd party SIM cards.
    Actually it looks like this can be done. You may have to do some additional configuration on your BB for the use of Blackberry internet but the answer still remains YES. His question asked specifically if you could use data and voice with an inernational sim and that answer is still yes because he can still use gmail and stuff like that. One in particular that is made for this is the international data sim (spain based) which is specifically for allowing you data access abroad. Now sorry if I don't bite when it comes to your statement where you say "You have had many conversations with verizon global support"... I frankly could care less what they have to say because these are the same people that said our phones could not be unlocked. Now I am not trying to sound like a mean guy here I just expect a but more than someone referring to conversations with verizon global support when alot of their statements a different from one person to the next

Also one last thing, all of this does not change the fact that some people need to Search especially when someone take the time to put all that info together in one place to avoid questions like this.

Edit: Forgot to include my link to the data sim ... Prepaid Data SIM card

I did see your in Russia right now, have you thought that maybe russia may not have a roaming agreement with global sim companies but has one with VZW? There are alot of things that can come into play when it comes to GPRS and data but I dont see why our blackberries are any different than the other full GSM BB's out there
    Last edited by BlondeBoyL; 08-28-07 at 08:14 AM. Reason: My responce sounded a little mean... I wanted to make it seem a little friendlier.
    08-28-07 06:25 AM
    I continue to read that a requirement to unlock is to pay full retail, yet others report that is not the case. Is there any definitive answer or policy I can point to if I go to the store and they advise full retail is required?
    I do not think they stick to the policy, I did not pay full retail, and my contract is not up, The rep did not ask any question of me. I just called and asked to unlock my phone-they faxed the form, I faxed it back,they gave me my code. the whole process took about 8 minutes.
    08-28-07 06:41 AM
    Actually it looks like this can be done. You may have to do some additional configuration on your BB for the use of Blackberry internet but the answer still remains YES. His question asked specifically if you could use data and voice with an inernational sim and that answer is still yes because he can still use gmail and stuff like that. One in particular that is made for this is the international data sim (spain based) which is specifically for allowing you data access abroad.

(edited)

I did see your in Russia right now, have you thought that maybe russia may not have a roaming agreement with global sim companies but has one with VZW? There are alot of things that can come into play when it comes to GPRS and data but I dont see why our blackberries are any different than the other full GSM BB's out there
    Yes - I'm in Russia. There is a Russian GSM provider that does have an agreement with Verizon, but I don't know which one yet. Still waiting for my Verizon SIM card to arrive. Right now, I have tried SIM cards from two of the three GSM providers here and both give me access to the data network through programs like gmail, but I have no service books (have tried the various methods of sending them) and no blackberry email and no blackberry web browser.

Again, I would love to be proven wrong or be pointed in the direction of the additional configuration needed, but I have searched for this and have not to date found anything that shows me how to get my blackberry to work as a fully-functioning blackberry while using a third-party SIM. I'd be happy to pay Verizon the international data fee just so they supported the Blackberry function, on top of the data fees I'd pay to the local GSM provider. But so far it looks like it won't work....
    08-28-07 02:24 PM
    First of all, I would like to thank all of you for the info in this post. It has given me piece of mind that I was not just my problem. I would also like to thank all of you who made the primary calls to Verizon that probably got things rolling before my calls started. I received this e-mail this morning which should resole everything in terms of unlocking our phones. I have not tried this process yet, but I am assuming it will work. I will keep you posted. Here is the e-mail in its entirety:

Dear Jeff Klancke,

Thank you for contacting our Verizon Wireless website. I am eager to assist you with information regarding the ability to unlock your new Blackberry 8830.

On behalf of Verizon Wireless, please allow me to apologize if we did not extend to you the quality customer service you expect and deserve. Verizon Wireless has a strong customer commitment to delivering the best from our service and staff. I am disappointed to hear the service you received did not reflect this commitment. Please be assured appropriate action will be taken and we will continue providing ongoing training to all of our employees. I hope we can restore your confidence in Verizon Wireless and prove we are worthy of your continued business.

Please be advised that a new firmware version has been released for the BlackBerry 8830. Please follow the directions provided in this email to install the updated firmware to your 8830. This new firmware resolves the inability to use your device and also provides the enhancements listed below:

Resolves the inability to use data after having left the handset on while leaving a GSM area broad or turning the handset and/or it's cellular radio off when no GSM signal was present abroad. This previously required that the battery be removed and reinserted before it could reestablish data connectivity in a CDMA coverage area.

Resolves the loss of phone functionality after using the call waiting function to answer an incoming call while currently on a call.

Resolves multiple issues with acquiring network connectivity while in GSM mode.

Resolves three identified Calendar issues that were previously addressed with a patch. Detailed information about the Calendar issues can be found at this link:
    [not allowed to post websites yet]

A 6dB boost in volume has been implemented to audio notifications to resolve missing alerts while the 8830 is holstered.

Enables the SIM to be unlocked for the use of non-Verizon Wireless SIM Cards for voice and data service on GSM/GPRS networks abroad. Note: Requires account to have been in good standing for previous 60 days and Verizon Wireless does not provide any support for using third-party SIM while roaming on any GSM/GPRS networks.

Adds support for A2DP and AVRCP Bluetooth profiles which adds compatibility with stereo Bluetooth headsets.

Improves the usability of the keyboard by not using backlighting in low-to-medium lighting conditions which previously made keys difficult to read.

Corrects an issue that resulted in "Error 348" on the 8830.

Before installing the handheld software the BlackBerry Desktop Manager must be installed. The BlackBerry Desktop Manager needs to be the same version as the Handheld Software. The BlackBerry cradle or USB cable must be connected directly to the desktop / laptop and not through a docking station / port replicator or USB hub.

Warning: It is critical that the computer used during installation is not allowed to enter stand-by, hibernate, or suspend mode. Failure to prevent this will result in a failed install and possible permanent damage to the device.

1. Close any open applications.
    Verify the Blackberry Desktop Manager is not running in the Windows System Tray (located in the bottom right-hand corner).
    2. Go to the URL...vzw.smithmicro.com/BlackBerry/ and download the handheld Software.
    3. Enter the 10-digit mobile number and select the appropriate Blackberry Handheld software for the device.
    4. Click Start Download and save the file to the Windows desktop or other known location.
    5. Double-click the downloaded file to begin the installation.
    6. Click OK.
    7. Click Next.
    8. Select USA (English), then click Next.
    9. To continue the installation, select I accept the terms in the license agreement then click Next.
    10. Select Yes, I want to start the Desktop Manager Software, and click Finish to complete installation.
    11. Launch BlackBerry Desktop Manager by selecting: Start > Programs (All Programs) > Blackberry > Desktop Manager then connect the BlackBerry to the PC with the cable / cradle.
    12. The Application Updates Available window will appear. Select Update Now.
    If the window does not appear, open the Application Loader.
    13. Click Next.
    14. If prompted, enter the Handheld Security Password, then click Next.
    15. Select the applications to be updated or installed, then click Next.
    16. Select Automatically back up the handheld application data... (Recommended), then click Next.
    17. Click Finish to begin the upgrade.
    18. The Application Loader Wizard will display a window showing the status of the update.
    Time of system upgrade may range from 20 minutes to a full hour. During this time, the Blackberry display screen will be blank. Do not unplug the device during the upgrade operation.
    19. Click Close.

I hope this information has proven helpful and informative. If you have further questions or concerns, please write to us again through [not allowed to post websites yet] Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, Cell Phone Accessories - Verizon Wireless. We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Verizon Wireless.

Sincerely,

Debra
    Verizon Wireless
    Data Technical Support
    08-29-07 01:32 AM
    I have managed to successfully use the mepd mpd2 code and now my phone has difficulty staying on the network. I have tried repeating the steps to return to Verizon network but it still seems to have trouble staying connected. Can anyone help?
    08-29-07 08:29 AM
    I have managed to successfully use the mepd mpd2 code and now my phone has difficulty staying on the network. I have tried repeating the steps to return to Verizon network but it still seems to have trouble staying connected. Can anyone help?
    Eh? Your going to have to elaborate buddy... Did you turn off the wireless antenna before you tried to enter the code?
    08-29-07 02:50 PM
    Hey guys, I picked up a Blackberry 8830 from work just yesterday. I was wondering if anyone on here has the 8830 from Telus in Canada and if you were able to get yours unlocked like all of the folks on Verizon in the US. Thanks!
    08-29-07 02:57 PM
    Hi guys, i have BB 8830 , I'm with bell in canada, i think its the same thing that Verizon in US, it's CDMA, I'm asking if some one here can help me to unlock the phone because i'm going europe next month, and i want to use it guys, plz if you can do something for me, i will be really recogninzing..., and I have my MASTER UNLOCKING code to programm the phone, if it can help....
    Think you guyss...
    08-29-07 03:54 PM
    The Sprint, Bell & Telus 8830 devices are unlocked from the factory.
    08-29-07 04:25 PM
698 ... 678910 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD