02-08-15 10:57 AM
698 ... 56789 ...
tools
    the newest update to the software is 4.2.2.148
    right?

finally i got it
    my sim card must be very touchy
    it worked after reseating several times
    Last edited by devereauxx; 08-16-07 at 06:24 PM.
    08-16-07 06:16 PM
    THAT is very cool! I just unlocked my 8830! Thank you all for your research on this issue. Your instructions worked like a champ!

My 8830 did not come with a SIM. I called VZW and asked them about that. I had to go to a VZW store and sign up for the international calling plan in order to get the VZW SIM. It is an extra $20 per month, but I can cancel within 3-months without a contract extention. You need the VZW SIM to unlock the 8830!

Just in case anyone missed the instructions in previous posts, I will repeat them. This is what I did...

1. Call the VZW Global Support (1-800-711-8300). Tell them you want to "unlock the SIM" on your BB 8830. They will ask you if you have a VZW SIM in the phone, and they will FAX or (in my case) email you a form to fill out and sign. It is the same form that has been posted in this forum. It does say on the form that you had to pay full price for your 8830, but NO ONE asked me for any additional money, or even mentioned that. ***NOTE*** I got mine for $299 with the $100 mail-in rebate.

2. Once they have the form, call them back and ask for the unlock code.

3. With the VZW SIM in the phone, goto MANAGE CONNECTIONS and click the option to TURN ALL CONNECTIONS OFF.

4. Then go into OPTIONS/ADVANCED OPTIONS/SIM CARD. You should see a screen that has your SIM ID number at the top.

5. Type in (without quotes), "MEPD" and it will change screens and list some options. (I didn't change any of those options) Type in (without quotes) "MEP2". ***NOTE*** You will NOT see what you are typing when doing that MEPD and MEP2 part.

6. NOW you should see a window asking you for the code that VZW gave you. Enter the code, it should say "Code Accepted"

7. Escape out of the options menus and turn off the BB.

8. (this part might be optional) Turn on the BB to see that everything comes up like normal.

9. (this part is just to verify that everything worked) Turn off BB, remove VZW SIM, insert "other" SIM (I used a VodaPhone pre-paid I got from my last trip to Germany, but I don't think it matters what SIM you use here so long as it is NOT the VZW SIM)

10. Turn on the BB and you should NOT see anything at the top of the screen that says, "invalid SIM" To double check this you can go into OPTIONS/ADVANCED OPTIONS/SIM Card and it show the details about that SIM, like SIM ID number and maybe the phone number assigned to that SIM.
    08-16-07 06:20 PM
    at blondeboyl

1.) Insert sim... yes its going to say "invalid sim". This is normal
    2.) Go to options > advanced options > sim card and enter MEP2 (You will not see what you are typing.
    3.) The phone will ask for the MEP code. That is your UNLOCK CODE that you get from verizon. Enter that and it will accept the code
    4.) Your phone is now officially unlocked. It should no longer say invalid sim after a restart.

at step 2 you say type in mep2 you should not be able to see this onscreen

when i type in mep2 nothing happens but when i type in mepd i get a new screen but no where does it ask for my 8 digit code i got from global support

the new screen looks something like

sim card: no valid sim card
    personalization:
    SIM Unknown
    Network Unknown
    Network Subset Unk.
    Service Provider Unk.
    Corporate Unk.

Ive already updated to the new 4.2something and am using an at&t sim
    any help would be great
    The Global VZW Support guy told me I needed the VZW SIM in the phone to unlock it This worked for me. I just unlocked my 8830 like 30-miunutes ago and confirmed it with reading a VodaPhone SIM I got from my last trip to Germany.
    08-16-07 06:28 PM
    THAT is very cool! I just unlocked my 8830! Thank you all for your research on this issue. Your instructions worked like a champ!

My 8830 did not come with a SIM. I called VZW and asked them about that. I had to go to a VZW store and sign up for the international calling plan in order to get the VZW SIM. It is an extra $20 per month, but I can cancel within 3-months without a contract extention. You need the VZW SIM to unlock the 8830!

Just in case anyone missed the instructions in previous posts, I will repeat them. This is what I did...

1. Call the VZW Global Support (1-800-711-8300). Tell them you want to "unlock the SIM" on your BB 8830. They will ask you if you have a VZW SIM in the phone, and they will FAX or (in my case) email you a form to fill out and sign. It is the same form that has been posted in this forum. It does say on the form that you had to pay full price for your 8830, but NO ONE asked me for any additional money, or even mentioned that. ***NOTE*** I got mine for $299 with the $100 mail-in rebate.

2. Once they have the form, call them back and ask for the unlock code.

3. With the VZW SIM in the phone, goto MANAGE CONNECTIONS and click the option to TURN ALL CONNECTIONS OFF.

4. Then go into OPTIONS/ADVANCED OPTIONS/SIM CARD. You should see a screen that has your SIM ID number at the top.

5. Type in (without quotes), "MEPD" and it will change screens and list some options. (I didn't change any of those options) Type in (without quotes) "MEP2". ***NOTE*** You will NOT see what you are typing when doing that MEPD and MEP2 part.

6. NOW you should see a window asking you for the code that VZW gave you. Enter the code, it should say "Code Accepted"

7. Escape out of the options menus and turn off the BB.

8. (this part might be optional) Turn on the BB to see that everything comes up like normal.

9. (this part is just to verify that everything worked) Turn off BB, remove VZW SIM, insert "other" SIM (I used a VodaPhone pre-paid I got from my last trip to Germany, but I don't think it matters what SIM you use here so long as it is NOT the VZW SIM)

10. Turn on the BB and you should NOT see anything at the top of the screen that says, "invalid SIM" To double check this you can go into OPTIONS/ADVANCED OPTIONS/SIM Card and it show the details about that SIM, like SIM ID number and maybe the phone number assigned to that SIM.
    No you dont. I unlocked mine with a tmo sim card (I was the first to get the phone unlocked) and others here have used ATT and GoSim sim cards. I would suggest you read all the previous posts before making such a statement.
    08-16-07 07:34 PM
    By the way, why do people keep posing the instructions on how to unlock the phone when this has been addresses several times before????
    08-16-07 07:54 PM
    No you dont. I unlocked mine with a tmo sim card (I was the first to get the phone unlocked) and others here have used ATT and GoSim sim cards. I would suggest you read all the previous posts before making such a statement.
    OK, maybe I didn't need the VZW SIM in the BB to unlock it. I won't argue that point. I was just going by what the VZW support dude told me.

I am happy as a JuneBug in summer cuz it worked and my BB is unlocked. And I wanted a VZW SIM card, anyway. You were the first to unlock your BB and I cannot thank you enough. Your breakthrough in this area is awesome, and I appreciate you sharing your dicovery with everyone. I have benefited greatly from your research. In my excitement (of unlocking my BB) I may have posted my statement of, "you need the VZW SIM to do this" in haste.

BUT at least we now know that this can be done with or without a VZW SIM card.
    08-16-07 07:56 PM
    By the way, why do people keep posing the instructions on how to unlock the phone when this has been addresses several times before????
    I just like to hear myself type.
    08-16-07 07:59 PM
    OK, maybe I didn't need the VZW SIM in the BB to unlock it. I won't argue that point. I was just going by what the VZW support dude told me.

I am happy as a JuneBug in summer cuz it worked and my BB is unlocked. And I wanted a VZW SIM card, anyway. You were the first to unlock your BB and I cannot thank you enough. Your breakthrough in this area is awesome, and I appreciate you sharing your dicovery with everyone. I have benefited greatly from your research. In my excitement (of unlocking my BB) I may have posted my statement of, "you need the VZW SIM to do this" in haste.

BUT at least we now know that this can be done with or without a VZW SIM card.
    I love VZW but as time progressed I learned that different techs will say different things. First they said that the phone could not be unlocked, then they said you have to pay full price, then they changed the rules so you didnt have to do that... Its always changing with them. If you did it with a VZW sim card I have no reason to doubt that but it seems that the info comming from VZW techs is very dynamic and ever changing. I bet the next thing will be the GPS finally being enabled...but who knows... Either way I got my phone unlocked and im not paying 1.29 a minute so thats all that matters to me.
    08-16-07 08:04 PM
    Just wanted to say thanks also..just got mine unlocked-it took about 6 minutes-the woman on the phone was very helpful and faxed over the doc instantly and waited until I faxed it back and within a minute gave me the unlock code and walked me through it.
    Unlocked*** and now updating-the last update came out 14 days ago.
    08-16-07 08:35 PM
    ...Either way I got my phone unlocked and im not paying 1.29 a minute so thats all that matters to me.
    I agree whole-heartedly.

About 6-months ago, when I first learned that I would be going to Germany for an extended stay (2-months), I called VZW and asked about VZW phones that would work there. What they offered, at the time, was WAY out of my price range. (renting a phone... $4.95 per day, and $1.29 per minute to use it). I accused the sales rep of smoking crack! LOL When I got to Germany, I found a cheap little pre-paid phone to use. But I paid like $60 just to buy the phone and charged it with another 50 euros. So I guess it wasn't all that cheap. The thing is, I hated that phone. It wasn't a flip-phone like I was used to using, so the belt clip phone holder thingy would end up dialing numbers while I was driving. So when I returned home (about a month ago) I was determined to find a phone that would work both here and there, so I could use one phone, get used to one phone, and it still works anywhere. BUT that $1.29 is still crazy. I researched the 8830 and it really looked like it would be the best answer. (added benefits of being a major geek toy... email, web browser, GPS, MP3 and Video media player, and can be used as a modem for my laptop!) It was that $1.29 per that was holding me back. When I saw that Sprint was unlocked by default, I thought about switching, but Sprint's voice service in my home area is weak. As soon as I saw you "cracked" you Berry; it became a no-brainer for me. VZW's 8830 was THE answer, for me. (so I guess VZW owes you a commission on that sale)

BTW... since you are a GoSIM user, do you get anything by refering a customer? Because I think that is going to be my next purchase.

I still have like half-a-dozen things left to do to make my 8830 my most favorite geek toy ever.
    1. Get GoSIM card and account before my next trip.
    2. Get GLOBAL GPS program and/or service working before my next trip.
    3. Find a SSH client program that will run on the BB that can securely tunnel Remote Desktop, and SFTP back to my home server.
    4. Figure out how to control my TiVo with my BB and get my TiVo'd shows downloaded or streamed to the BB.
    5. Reserved for something I haven't thought of yet...
    6. RULE THE WORLD WITH MY TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE AND AMAZING HIGH TECH EQUIPMENT (Just kidding!)
    08-16-07 09:10 PM
    I agree whole-heartedly.

About 6-months ago, when I first learned that I would be going to Germany for an extended stay (2-months), I called VZW and asked about VZW phones that would work there. What they offered, at the time, was WAY out of my price range. (renting a phone... $4.95 per day, and $1.29 per minute to use it). I accused the sales rep of smoking crack! LOL When I got to Germany, I found a cheap little pre-paid phone to use. But I paid like $60 just to buy the phone and charged it with another 50 euros. So I guess it wasn't all that cheap. The thing is, I hated that phone. It wasn't a flip-phone like I was used to using, so the belt clip phone holder thingy would end up dialing numbers while I was driving. So when I returned home (about a month ago) I was determined to find a phone that would work both here and there, so I could use one phone, get used to one phone, and it still works anywhere. BUT that $1.29 is still crazy. I researched the 8830 and it really looked like it would be the best answer. (added benefits of being a major geek toy... email, web browser, GPS, MP3 and Video media player, and can be used as a modem for my laptop!) It was that $1.29 per that was holding me back. When I saw that Sprint was unlocked by default, I thought about switching, but Sprint's voice service in my home area is weak. As soon as I saw you "cracked" you Berry; it became a no-brainer for me. VZW's 8830 was THE answer, for me. (so I guess VZW owes you a commission on that sale)

BTW... since you are a GoSIM user, do you get anything by refering a customer? Because I think that is going to be my next purchase.

I still have like half-a-dozen things left to do to make my 8830 my most favorite geek toy ever.
    1. Get GoSIM card and account before my next trip.
    2. Get GLOBAL GPS program and/or service working before my next trip.
    3. Find a SSH client program that will run on the BB that can securely tunnel Remote Desktop, and SFTP back to my home server.
    4. Figure out how to control my TiVo with my BB and get my TiVo'd shows downloaded or streamed to the BB.
    5. Reserved for something I haven't thought of yet...
    6. RULE THE WORLD WITH MY TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE AND AMAZING HIGH TECH EQUIPMENT (Just kidding!)
    God I wish I got something for referring people... Some free minutes would be awsome but sadly I dont get a thing. You will like the GoSim though... Its simple and str8 forward and your number and your minutes NEVER expire like some other cards.
    08-16-07 09:18 PM
    Blondeboy- how do I used my phone as a modem for my laptop??
    08-16-07 09:40 PM
    I can answer that...

Hook up your BB to the laptop via the USB cable. Then install and run the VZW VZAccess Manager Software (CD should have come with your BB). You can download it from VZW if you didn't get the CD. If the BB is on, the VZAccess Manager will see it as a modem.
    08-16-07 10:00 PM
    ok, so last question is it using my minutes or using my unlimited web acess when I surf the net on my computer through the BB.
    08-17-07 06:31 AM
    ok, so last question is it using my minutes or using my unlimited web acess when I surf the net on my computer through the BB.
    Depends on your BB plan. If you have an unlimited BB plan, for 15 bucks more a month you get unlimited (up to 5GB) of surfing and doing whatever. IF you have a 10MB plan, you have 10 megs of data before you start getting slapped for overage charges. They key here is that you have the 15 dollar add on for the tethering to work. Now there are ways of getting around this with some creative "hacking" if you will but you risk getting your account canceled doing it.
    08-17-07 08:31 AM
    I did some searching around about this to see if there are any "other" cool tools for the BB. What I came up with is Mobishark. According to their web...

Older Blackberry devices that don't have the modem built in - Shark Modem provides this option for your device

You can connect via USB and Bluetooth connections

The Shark Modem is build to avoid data charges*

Avoid monthly tether charges that carriers charge. For example Verizon and Cingular and other companies.
    08-18-07 08:17 PM
    Hey nightwatcher that's a nifty find! Nice one.
    08-19-07 06:41 AM
    I can answer that...

Hook up your BB to the laptop via the USB cable. Then install and run the VZW VZAccess Manager Software (CD should have come with your BB). You can download it from VZW if you didn't get the CD. If the BB is on, the VZAccess Manager will see it as a modem.
    OK- I did all that but.. it does not work. It says user name and password are not correct?? If it is using the BB to access the web what user name/pw is it talking about? No where in the setup wizard did it ask me for that?? Once again I am confused
    08-19-07 09:19 AM
    I attended the Sprint launch event in San Francisco last week for the 8830. I'd never used a BB until now, so I was rather happy to be told that the 8830 was "Sim Unlocked". Rather nice. It appears to have a Sprint Sim in it too so I'm not real sure on how it's separating the GSM and CDMA. I just know th ephone rocks.
    08-19-07 08:16 PM
    I attended the Sprint launch event in San Francisco last week for the 8830. I'd never used a BB until now, so I was rather happy to be told that the 8830 was "Sim Unlocked". Rather nice. It appears to have a Sprint Sim in it too so I'm not real sure on how it's separating the GSM and CDMA. I just know th ephone rocks.
    Hey man - it is only GSM outside of the US - it will not work with GSM in the US and thus it has no problem figuring out the separation.
    08-19-07 09:16 PM
    arundc..

i travelled to Asia quite frequently and was a former AT&T subscriber for many users until i made the switch last year to Verizon.. I just purchased the 8830 from verizon last month and i honestly thought that i could unlock the phone through them.. i guessed wrong.. it was so easy to do this w/ AT&T w/ no problems.. Verizon wants to charge me $120 to unlock..

I would appreciate if you could guide me and let me know how to unlock this phone w/o any issues through Verizon.. Thank you.

Regards,
    nparikh31
    08-20-07 09:49 AM
    1) You do not need to perform the software update in order to unlock your phone.

2) Verizon does not charge to unlock your phone.

3) There is already a voluminous thread on this very subject.
    08-20-07 01:19 PM
    i just unlocked the 8830 phone.. i popped in a AT&T sim card but it keeps showing "searching for GSM".. can i still use the phone in US w/ other sim cards if the phone is unlocked?
    08-20-07 03:45 PM
    Did you read the post right before yours? It will not work on the GSM network in the US regardless of the SIM card you use.
    08-20-07 04:34 PM
    Did you read the post right before yours? It will not work on the GSM network in the US regardless of the SIM card you use.
    Im glad someone beat me to this guy because I was going to SCREAM! this has been addresses 200 times... well 201 now.
    08-20-07 07:33 PM
698 ... 56789 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD